Surefire M2 for use underwater

Aerodog

Newly Enlightened
I scuba dive at night and have a "underwater use only" main light. I would like to use a Surefire M2 or M3 as a surface/underwater backup light. Surefire's PR says that these lights can sustain normal scuba diving depths.

Can they? Has anyone actually taken their M2 or M3 to depth? Actually used it underwater? In salt water? Is this a really bad idea!

SUREFARC

Enlightened
As I can recall, Shelby has ever had fun in a swimming pool with his M2 for a couple hours, no leakage.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say clean and lube the threads and orings before you go. If there is a problem with the light, call surefire cust service.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I recall one of the guys at SureFire has taken his M2 diving...

I've taken it in the sea in Dubai down to about 6 metres. Never had any problems with my M2's. Very impressive.

Al

nihraguk

Enlightened
the M2 should be ok...just don't take it to depths like 40m. do the sink test first and if it doesn't leak through the lens seal, it should be ok. if it leaks through the other seals, cleaning and lubing should fix it.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to what I've read on the SureFire board, there are SCUBA-certified M2's available straight from Surefire. These lights have undergone extra testing to make sure they hold up to use as a dive light.

Joe

SUREFARC

Enlightened
I believe that refers to the N certificate. But how much more does one have to pay for it?

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I think they are only selling 6PN (N-Certified 6P) models right now for about $80. They stopped N-certification on other lights for some strange reason.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by SurefireM6:
I think they are only selling 6PN (N-Certified 6P) models right now for about $80. They stopped N-certification on other lights for some strange reason.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The N=Navy Certification is available for all lights, other than the rechargeables. SF has not stopped offering the N certification..... you can order them directly from Sure Fire, but they are very back logged at this time.