Preon 1 is suddenly brighter than Preon 2....why?

marcalbar

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I have both blue Preon 1 & Preon 2. Although a few months old, they're still practically new and hardly used.

A few hours ago, I switched on the Preon 2 to check on something and saw that the light was very faint. So I thought, the batts needed to be changed. After putting in fresh batteries, I turned it on but was surprised that it wasn't as bright as it should be. Curiously, I put the old batts in the Preon 1 and it lit up perfectly!

So I compared both lights and saw that the Preon 1 with old batts was a lot brighter than the Preon 2 with fresh batts. I even switched the two heads. When I put the Preon 2's head on the Preon 1, it lit up perfectly again.

So, what could be the problem? Would appreciate your inputs. TIA

Marc

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the Preon 2 switch is going bad. Try combining the Preon 1 tailcap with the Preon 2 body and head.

Paul

marcalbar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Paul. I tried what you said but the brightness was the same as using the Preon 2's tailcap.

The Preon 2s high beam now is like the Preon 1's low beam

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I have a titanium Preon 2 and I've experienced odd dimming also. I exercised the switch 20 or 30 times (assuming possible surface corrosion on the contacts) and tried a second set of NiMH cells. Same issue. I tried a third set of NiMH cells and bingo, no problem.

I think it may have been either the switch or the NiMH cells (which had been charged quite a while ago). I promptly recharged my whole inventory of NiMH cells (I probably have about 8 pairs). I'm thinking of using lithium cells instead for this particular light.

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
Try combining the Preon 1 head with the Preon 2 body and tailcap. If that combination works properly, then I would say there's something wrong with the Preon 2 head.

Paul

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yeah either the head has gone wonky or there is some unseen funk causing resistance.
Clean everything you can get to, threads, contacts, springs.

After that it's time to ship it home for repairs.