Fenix LD15 gets hot

hoss1968

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix ld15 and after about 10 minutes of continious runtime on high the light is so hot you can barely hang on to it.
Is this normal for this light?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's normal. Electronic devices produce waste heat when running, and the heat has to be dissipated for them to properly work.

Use medium modes if you are going to be running your light for extended periods, and reserve the highest output modes for emergencies. Small flashlights do not have the necessary heatsinking for proper heat dissipation when they are running at high outputs.

If you really need your light to be putting out all of that 117 lumens that LD15 offers, consider getting a larger light with higher output and better heatsinking and have that run at lower output.

hoss1968

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help. I had been using a Fenix ld12 for a EDC light and it worked fine. I guess i will just go back to that light.
I thought the ld15 would be better because of its size.

tam17

Enlightened
LD15 has the same problem as any other small flashlight with high output has, but this doesn't affect its performance. If you keep it in your hand when you use the Hi mode, it won't get so hot. It's also lightweight and small enough to be comfortably used on a headband (just don't let hot bezel touch your ear, hehe) :)