Thrunite drop-in acting odd

Robert C

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any idea why my drop-in is doing this? I have a Thrunite Cree XML 3-9v multi-stage in a 9P and have been using it without incident since I bought it back in February. However, today i went to use it and after being on for about a minute the light shut off. From that point, it started behaving like a slow strobe, going on for a few seconds and then turning off again (btw, a strobe is not one of the stages of this drop-in). The bezel felt like it was getting warm quicker than normal and I thought it may have been overheating (do they have a thermal cut-off?) so i swapped it into a 6P but it did the same thing. Not sure what to do with this drop-in now other than toss it in the trash. Any ideas :confused:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Did you try a different cell? Sounds like it may be might be flat.

Norm

Robert C

Newly Enlightened
Norm, yes, i first tried changing to a fresh set of cells which did the same. Then when i swapped it into the 6p it was with the cells that were in that light, which as i mentioned didn't fare any better.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any idea why my drop-in is doing this? I have a Thrunite Cree XML 3-9v multi-stage in a 9P and have been using it without incident since I bought it back in February. However, today i went to use it and after being on for about a minute the light shut off. From that point, it started behaving like a slow strobe, going on for a few seconds and then turning off again (btw, a strobe is not one of the stages of this drop-in). The bezel felt like it was getting warm quicker than normal and I thought it may have been overheating (do they have a thermal cut-off?) so i swapped it into a 6P but it did the same thing. Not sure what to do with this drop-in now other than toss it in the trash. Any ideas :confused:

Wonderful!

I've got one of these same 3-9v Thrunite drop in modules coming in tomorrow with my Solarforce L2P blue type IIIHA light.

I bought it because I thought it would be a little better than the cheaper Solarforce drop in. Mine will also not have strobe function, and only 3 modes.

My drop in is model # THNXML3 from Lighthound