Powering a custom Setup

Kickface750

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys Im new to the forum and have a question that needs proffesional help.

Im a new entrepreneur creating a product that uses 2 cree xm-l LEDs.  Let me give you the main characteristics of the product before I get into the specifications. The dual light needs to be lightweight, last as long as possible, for a reasonable price. The proto-type I have built is running the 2 crees on a HIGHTECH 9v rated at 600 mAH and is using a BUCKPUCK driver. This setup is lightweight but costs waaaay to much for mass production of the product. I think I got the HIGHTECH battery and charger for about $30 and the BUCKPUCK driver for about $14. It runs the Lights at 100% for 2 hrs and 45 min which is great but I need somthing somewhat equal in power and wieght but much cheaper.

I got my UltraFire 3000mAH in just today and ran two(one for each light) on a resistor(band:brown, black,gold,gold) and they only lasted about 1 hr 30 minutes, with a mass production price of $8 for both and a charger. Im not an electrical engineer and everything Ive got up to this point has been on my own research. I need a battery setup and resitor(or driver) setup that I can design my product around but have to find a happy median between light weight, most powerful(I would like to run at about 700 to 1000 lumens with combined lights) and well priced. Any wisdom and suggestions would be great!

BobBarker

Newly Enlightened
First (and I'm not being sarcastic) ditch the UltraFire cells. They are massively over rated (i.e not cost effective).

Second, what scale of production are you looking at? Are you going to be assembling them? Or are you going to have them produced for you? The reason I ask this, is if you are going to have them produced for you... You can do fun things like use surface mount parts (versus though-hole types). And if you can use surface mounted designs, then head over to Texas Instruments website and create an account with them. The work-bench program they have is pretty nice, but it only supports surface mount topology.

yazovyet

Enlightened
Your target is the 700-1000 lumen range, is that from the emitter or out the front? (Most marketing measures are emitter I think)

Why use 2 XM-Ls? One XM-L can get that range. (I suppose 2 might be slightly more efficient but leads to higher production costs and larger size)

Personally I like a driver to have multi mode (or even better would be more than one switch to select modes). That way you can have super bright and mid rnage and a low mod.

Kickface750

Newly Enlightened
yea I learned pretty quickly that the UltraFires are not the way to go. Ok the product is actual a pantented attachment that fits on a popular line of spray guns, and eventually I plan to make other attachments to cover a majority of the spray guns in the spray gun industry. Ill attach some pictures of my most recent proto type to give you a better Idea. The closest thing to the object being sprayed is the paint gun itself so it only seemed logical to me to design a light attachment to fit the paint guns, considering the fact that illumination is a huuuuge variable in turning out an effecient and good paint job.

I plan to mass produce the product eventually, we are a startup right now and are broke *** college students ha. We will assemble the products ourselves for the first couple of hundreds sold once we can come up with some capital we will eventually hire a work team or export the work. BobBarker- if you could explain the surface mount topology to me as to the details that would be awesome.

Also I am running the two Crees on either side so technicians can get a better veiw of their spray pattern. Has anyone done any research on the DT-20 Night Owl? and how the battery and driver system is set up?

Not sure if the pictures are workin or not....