Problems with my Klarus XT1C

AliasNeo07

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I'm a little disappointed. Bought a klarus XT11 and loved it so much I bought its baby brother, the XT1C, for EDC.

Fast forward two months and I'm having problems with it. The power is intermittent. sometimes when I do a half press the light turns on, sometimes I have to do a full press. When I turn on the light, it flickers about 1/4 of the time. Not totally on and off, but full brightness then maybe 3/4 brightness. When I press the secondary button, sometimes it strobes and sometimes I need to press it again to get it to do anything.

I'm still sort of a flashlight noob but I would consider this unreliable. That the light doesn't always turn on with a half press or the strobe button is unacceptable. I'm not sure how to diagnose this problem.

The light has not been subjected to heavy use or abuse. Its been riding in my pocket for two months, if that. No visible damage inside or outside. I have tried a new battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping its something I can fix and I don't have to send it in to Klarus. But if I have to send it in, I have to send it in.

Thanks for the help!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an XT1C which does not show any of the problems you mention. In any case before contacting the seller you should try out two things. First clean well all the non-galvanized surfaces you find inside and particularly the edges of the battery tube as well as the surfaces which they touch. Second check by means of long nosed pliers or even a pair of scissors that the ring that keeps the switch inside the tailcap is well serrated. This ring surrounds the spring inside the tailcap. There's two small holes in it for the purpose of rotating it. Bear in mind that when a flashlight shows a strange behavior in connection with the use of the switch it is likely that the same is not properly locked in its working position.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

Fast forward two months and I'm having problems with it. The power is intermittent. sometimes when I do a half press the light turns on, sometimes I have to do a full press. When I turn on the light, it flickers about 1/4 of the time. Not totally on and off, but full brightness then maybe 3/4 brightness. When I press the secondary button, sometimes it strobes and sometimes I need to press it again to get it to do anything.

I had the same problem with my XT1A out of the box. I just unscrewed both the head and the tailcap and cleaned the threads to remove any "dirt". Then put back the head and tailcap, tightened them and I never had the same problem again.

I would recommend you do exactly what Kilovolt is suggesting too!

Also check that the battery is not nearly out: my XT1A starts acting weird and flashing when it's running out of juice. I am not sure if it's an intended warning or PWM becoming visible when the battery is nearly out but it does happen.

Last edited:

AliasNeo07

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies.

I have an XT1C which does not show any of the problems you mention. In any case before contacting the seller you should try out two things. First clean well all the non-galvanized surfaces you find inside and particularly the edges of the battery tube as well as the surfaces which they touch. Second check by means of long nosed pliers or even a pair of scissors that the ring that keeps the switch inside the tailcap is well serrated. This ring surrounds the spring inside the tailcap. There's two small holes in it for the purpose of rotating it. Bear in mind that when a flashlight shows a strange behavior in connection with the use of the switch it is likely that the same is not properly locked in its working position.

I cleaned all that stuff. But what do you mean about that ring being serrated? I'm not sure what you mean. I did take a pair of pliers and make sure it was very tight.

Have you tightened the switch?

Klarus tends to ship the lights with loose switches.

Do you mean just tightening the ring that Kilovolt was referring to?
I had the same problem with my XT1A out of the box. I just unscrewed both the head and the tailcap and cleaned the threads to remove any "dirt". Then put back the head and tailcap, tightened them and I never had the same problem again.

I would recommend you do exactly what Kilovolt is suggesting too!

Also check that the battery is not nearly out: my XT1A starts acting weird and flashing when it's running out of juice. I am not sure if it's an intended warning or PWM becoming visible when the battery is nearly out but it does happen.

Cleaned it, and also tried 3 different batteries, from different manufacturers/lots.

So, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I guess I need to send it to Klarus.

And their website lists their HQ, all phone numbers, etc, in China. I guess this is going to be a long and arduous process.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have cleaned everything and tightened the switch to no avail I am afraid that the only way out is to send the light in for repairs. :rolleyes:

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
thanks labrador. my xt1a was doing the same thing. I cleaned as you said and now it seems to work fine. looked like there was some grease on the bottom inside of the tailcap where it meets the body. thanks again. woo hoo.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like you have done everything you can other than sending it in for repair. I have never had to send any of my lights (several different manufacturers) in for repairs but it sounds like it can be a painful process when you deal with the company directly. Is the light new enough you may be able to work with your vendor? I'd give that a shot before I'd try shipping a light to China.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies.

I cleaned all that stuff. But what do you mean about that ring being serrated? I'm not sure what you mean. I did take a pair of pliers and make sure it was very tight.

Do you mean just tightening the ring that Kilovolt was referring to?

Cleaned it, and also tried 3 different batteries, from different manufacturers/lots.

So, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I guess I need to send it to Klarus.

And their website lists their HQ, all phone numbers, etc, in China. I guess this is going to be a long and arduous process.

Klarus has an authorized import distributor in California. They handle warranty repairs. Depending on where you purchased yours. If it was a dealer who purchases through Klaruslightusa.com then you can get warranty service in the USA. If the dealer was an importer or you ordered from China, then your going to need to ship the light out of the country.

pchapman86

Newly Enlightened
I have also just received my XT1C and am having problems - the light only works if you put opposite pressure on both ends of the head unit (bending it almost) I have confirmed it is the head unit by attaching a wire between the battery and side instead of the tail-cap and the same issue occurs.

Does anyone know how to dissemble the head unit? I cannot see any threads or points of contact so I assume it is sealed..

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opening the head is not easy as it's probably glued. If you have just received, just contact the dealer and send it back for a new replacement.
Even if you open it you may not be able to fix the issue and you'd void the warranty - a new light which is defective simply needs to be replaced!