Review: Lighthound AA Tactical XPG R3

JNieporte

Enlightened
Submitted for consideration in the Reviews sub-forum.

If you've been around CPF for any length of time, you've heard of Lighthound. You've probably ordered from them. They released their line of AAA and AA lights earlier this year, which are rebranded Balder lights. The one I'm reviewing today is the AA Tactical XPG R3. It sells for $19.99 at LightHound and can be used with either a single AA or 14500 battery. First, I'll get the technical stuff out of the way.

The AA Tactical has Mil-spec Type III hard anodizing, and is black. The light has a light orange peel reflector, which is attached to the head. The head unscrews, and the reflector is held in with the familiar two circlip holes. The lens is glass. The LED itself isn't attached to the head; it's held in (glue?) the body. Mine came perfectly centered. As mentioned, the LED is an XPG R3. The tailcap is a forward clicky and cycles the three modes with a light tap. First for high (100%), then medium (30%), then low (1%). The light doesn't have a memory and always comes on in high. The AA Tactical comes with a removable pocket clip, instaled bezel-down. Mine is stainless steel. There's no lanyard attachment point on the light, but the pocket clip will accept one. The clip is nice; not too loose and not too tight.

LightHound lists runtime as 1.2 hours on high with a 14500. I don't have any desire to test that, since the light gets really hot on high with a 14500 after about 45 seconds. On an alkaline or NiMH, there's no problem. I don't detect PWM at any level with any battery, but I'm not sensitive to it.

As far as output, LightHound lists the following on high: 120 lumens on an alkaline AA and 180 lumens on a 14500. I've done a real-world break-down of the output below. For how I got these numbers, see the bottom of this post.

Advertised
Alkaline, High: 120 lumens
Alkaline, Medium: 36 lumens
Alkaline, Low: 1.2 lumen

14500, High: 180 lumens
14500, Medium: 54 lumens
14500, Low: 1.8 lumen

Tested
Fresh Duracell alkaline battery...
High: 126 lumens
Medium: 39 lumens
Low: 1.8 lumen

Freshly-charged TrustFire 14500...
High: 197 lumens
Medium: 61 lumens
Low: 2.5 lumens

The description says that with certain 14500 batteries, a 1.6mm spacer might be required. I didn't find this to be the case, but I needed one for my Duracell alkaline. I simply stretched the spring in the tailcap and tried until I got it. Everything is good now. In general, I really like this light. It has a good mix of flood and throw, and the low mode stays low an a 14500. I hope to get beamshots up tonight. In short, this is the best $45 light I've spent $20 on. Thanks for reading :)

http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound-AA-Tactical-Flashlight-Cree-XPG-R3-LED_p_3974.html

How Did I Get the Lumen Numbers?
A buddy of mine goes by the name Richard. Richard works in a lab. When you see ANSI (American National Standards Institute) rating on a light, you might be seeing Richard's lab tests. He has a lot of cool equipment. Every now and then, I see Richard and have him test some lights for me. The numbers he gives me are for real, with me giving him no input beforehand on what the lumen rating is advertised at. I like Richard.

Last edited:

Gryffin

Enlightened
No link, no photos... Not sure which light you're reviewing. IIRC Lighthound markets a tactical 1xAA that's a re-branded Balder SE-1; is this the light you're talking about?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice write-up, thanks. I wish I had a friend like Richard.

I am amazed at what you can get for $20 these days.

Gryffin

Enlightened
I am amazed at what you can get for $20 these days.

I actually just bought a Balder SE-1, and it's a very impressive lil' bugger. It wasn't obvious from any photos I saw before I bought it, but the reflector is much deeper than most 1xAA lights, as in half-again deeper than my Quark AA Tactical. The only 1xAA I own that out-throws it the RRT-0, which is much bigger.

Another fun feature I didn't know about: when you switch it on in "High" mode, it actually ramps up, like a "soft start," for just a fraction of a second, but in close quarters it give my eyes a little time to adjust. And trust me, they'll need to adjust!

The body design is a little unusual, the middle of the battery tube is noticeably thinner than most in that class. It seems to save some weight, and along with the raised ring where the clip attaches makes for a very comfortable "grip ring".

JNieporte

Enlightened
I actually just bought a Balder SE-1, and it's a very impressive lil' bugger. It wasn't obvious from any photos I saw before I bought it, but the reflector is much deeper than most 1xAA lights, as in half-again deeper than my Quark AA Tactical. The only 1xAA I own that out-throws it the RRT-0, which is much bigger.

Another fun feature I didn't know about: when you switch it on in "High" mode, it actually ramps up, like a "soft start," for just a fraction of a second, but in close quarters it give my eyes a little time to adjust. And trust me, they'll need to adjust!

The body design is a little unusual, the middle of the battery tube is noticeably thinner than most in that class. It seems to save some weight, and along with the raised ring where the clip attaches makes for a very comfortable "grip ring".

Mine ramps up as well. The SE-1 and this light are identical, except for (correct me if I'm wrong) the LED itself.

JNieporte

Enlightened
Although this is marketed as an EDC, I've found that it works pretty darn well for a weapon-mounted light. Recoil doesn't harm it.
001-5.jpg

Close-up...
003-6.jpg

The other side...
004-5.jpg

About the right amount of light for me...
005-5.jpg

Thumbs up all around.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Title type-o? Did you get a XPG R5 or a XPE R3?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
XPG R3, as the LightHound link specifies. I didn't think there was such a thing, but I just assumed I was wrong.
I see, lighthounds type-o. Surprised nobody made a little comment on that.
They mean XP-E R3.

Dhbwa

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Lighthound 1xAA and the 2xAA Tactical lights and although I'm a flashlight noob I am very impressed!! I also have a Fenix E21 and E must be for economy as the beam quality is not equal to these less expensive Lighthound (Balder) units...