P90 in a SF 6P

Norseman2

Newly Enlightened
Can someone tell me if you can use a P90 in a SF 6P (even though that flashlight is not listed as useable with that bulb on their website)?

Daekar

Enlightened
The simple answer is no, the complicated answer is yes, and the comprehensive answer is that you're better off using a pair of IMR cells and a high output lamp from Lumensfactory. If you just want to stick with regular Surefire 123A batteries and you want more output from the same light, I would advise you to get an LED dropin for it. There are some excellent ones for sale in the Buy/Sell/Trade section that will be brighter than the P60 bulb it's replacing, render color excellently, and extend battery life. Look for a Nichia 219 LED and you should be all set. :)

Retinator

Enlightened
I've tried the P90 & 91's in a G2 using 2x123As and they run dim, the P91, even more so.

Not sure if there's any harm in underdriving the lamps, but no real benefit either. I didn't run them long enough to measure a runtime.

yifu

Enlightened
Yes you can. It works with 2 IMR16340 cells or 2 IMR18350s if you've got it bored out. With those cells, you will get full output as 3 CR123s.

Norseman2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips guys! Yifu that is currently my plan (from notes I've gathered while reading through dozens of posts here LOL). I want to get two sets of AW IMR 16340 batteries and the correct/best charger. So now I'm trying to figure out what's the best bulb for around $20 shipped. And then I'll store my cr123's and P60 bulbs (actually have 4 of them that came with the flashlight) as backup when I'm out camping.

Though part of me just wants to get rechargeable CR123's and just use the P60's until the last one burns out. Or if I ever buy a more expensive light I can hand all this down to my girlfriend to use when we go out.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not get a Led drop in?
Brighter, longer run time, Led last longer too.
Can use 2 cr 123 or 2 Rcr 123.

Norseman2

Newly Enlightened
Why not get a Led drop in?
Brighter, longer run time, Led last longer too.
Can use 2 cr 123 or 2 Rcr 123.

I don't like the color tints from LED ...however I'm hearing that certain LEDs have a really good color tint, so I'm going to get the Malkoff M61 in a few more weeks. Thanks!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've run a G2 with P90 + 2 16340 IMRs. Nice flashlight! I've recently tried the P91 in the same light with the same IMR batteries and it's even brighter. Short runtime is not a problem around home. I just switch batteries with freshly charged 16340s. I've been told that the P91 is overdriven--so it might not last too long. I don't know. Both the P90 and the P91 can be run on 2 IMRs.
My G2 has a glass lens.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I've been using P90s in 6P format lights of various types (6P, G2, 660 weapon light) on 2x RCR123s or 2xIMR16340s for years now. It's one of the best ways to run a 2 cell incan format light.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried the P90 & 91's in a G2 using 2x123As and they run dim, the P91, even more so.

Not sure if there's any harm in underdriving the lamps, but no real benefit either. I didn't run them long enough to measure a runtime.

It's my understanding (but I'm not an expert) under-voltage in an incandescent lamp will harm it by shortening it's expected life-span. It was explained to me long ago that as a lamp heats up to proper operating temp tungsten molecules boil off and redeposit themselves onto the filament. If a lamp is operated in a less than optimal condition some of the tungsten will not properly redeposit on the filament and instead deposit itself on the inside of the glass/quartz envelope because the lower operating temp due to lower operating voltage.

I cannot verify that but....