Imalent        
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: What watch you're wearing?

Default Re: What watch you're wearing?

$300 alone buys a mighty nice watch, heck could argue maybe 3 or even 4 ,nice pieces..........its a crazy world we live in!

Fine quartz watches require regular service too, although typically less costly.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Ven- I agree but the two pocketwatches I own were my Great Grandfather's, passed to me by my Grandmother before she passed. The Hamilton is early 1900's, the other is late 1800's. Have to keep them, I'm not looking forward to the service price on the second... Pics to follow. 😁

Fortunately, both were in a safety deposit box two years ago...

Hamilton.
    https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/...127_184400.jpg

Patek.
    https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/...7_184037_2.jpg
    Last edited by scout24; 01-28-2020 at 07:23 AM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Fine quartz watches require regular service too, although typically less costly.
    Agree. I usually ignore service recommendations though. If it breaks (or starts loosing time), I would get it serviced.
    To me, it's more important for a dive watch. I'd probably never consider a Sub at today's prices with associated service costs; but then I probably wouldn't get it serviced either unless for the above stated reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Very smart, thats one thing i miss , a nice dress type watch.............Is it ti?
    It is titanium. Light and comfortable to wear 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Ven- I agree but the two pocketwatches I own were my Great Grandfather's, passed to me by my Grandmother before she passed. The Hamilton is early 1900's, the other is late 1800's. Have to keep them, I'm not looking forward to the service price on the second... Pics to follow. 

Fortunately, both were in a safety deposit box two years ago...

Hamilton.
    https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/...127_184400.jpg

Patek.
    https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/...7_184037_2.jpg

Unfortunately i can not see pics(bad gateway). Yes, just a general comment with servicing, there are far more pricier services. There was a thread on watchu asking , if you serviced all your watches together, how much. Many were over $14k .......ouch! The Oris i have is similar, however i dont think i will need to pay $300 every 3 years as it will probably be worn for 6 month over that time. But it does go with the watch, after all, if someone is going to open up, remove most of the innards, replace parts, oil and rebuild and measure time. You dont want a $20 bill and expect perfection. Also , with the manufacturer servicing the watch, you should be covered if anything goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    It is titanium. Light and comfortable to wear 24 hours.

Very cool, i was not 100% but it looked like ti from the shade of metal. Nice and light for sure, great material for a watch.

Started off being a frog day

Got a little delivery

So a week or so back, bought a 5600 for a little project. Then i wanted to make a camo G which casio want £1400 for the ti 5000 flavour. Its very nice, but several reasons why i wont pay that. If i was to pay that amount, i would want a higher end G(not sure even then to be honest ). Then with the ti square, i just cant see £1400, regardless of it potentially holding its value or even increasing. I am not into buying a watch to sit on and sell to make profit.......cant be bothered.

So back to bezel and bracelet, 2 choices for the camo, SS and ti . ti was around twice the price of stainless at $180 ish. As much as i like ti, stainless was fine for this project and fancied a little weight anyway.
    Surprisingly it is actually fairly decent quality(cant compare to casio's), quick release spring bars supplied, removing a few links, the spring pins were decent quality .

Fiddley part was fitting the bracelet to the watch itself. The quick release pins are cool and can save potential scratches etc when fitting, but darn the little bu66ers can hurt.

Finished article, total cost was around £116( G £50 and camo £66)

Daylight pic

So pretty impressed, time(pun not intended) will tell how it wears . But as i like to swap around watches, there is no point for me spending big, as the 5000 ti would not get worn any more than this.

That's a pretty impressive result with your watch project, ven

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike, it has appealed from the release, i do like a bit of camo.

Nice work! Completely transforms it... 👍
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Thanks scout, so far i am quite impressed and no regrets. Even though its a small amount of $, it can be still very frustrating if things turn out a fail. Now i know the quality is decent, i may even sway for a ti flavour next............. i give up! If i do, i may get a 5000 as i dont have one of those yet.

All fun, took maybe 15 mins from start to finish, that includes removing the module and G shock rubber...............which you dont need to do!

Ven, your mash-up project is contagious. I just ordered a watch, and since I don't like the stock band, I also ordered a metal bracelet separately. I'll post details & pictures of before & after once I receive it.

Today this Damasko for me

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Ven, your mash-up project is contagious. I just ordered a watch, and since I don't like the stock band, I also ordered a metal bracelet separately. I'll post details & pictures of before & after once I receive it.

Haha, it can be addictive, but it is cool making your own piece that makes it more rare or just different. The most important thing with watches is to buy for yourself. Many ask questions about wearing a watch in the office or for an occasion. No one cares, most will never notice(unless there is another watch fanatic type person close by). Should i buy a rolex or a GS or a JP........buy what you want to wear and you like. So making your own, be it swapping a face, hands or strap/bracelet, gives it that more personal touch.

I to prefer metal bracelets over leather and nato. I will admit some do look cool, but i much prefer a metal feel. The looks, weight, security and for me, what suits certain watches the most.
    For some nice bracelets, strapcode are a good option
    https://www.strapcode.com/

I love the engineer and super engineer types, especially on citizen and seiko pieces. Its even worth buying a 20mm(usual citizen mid size) and 22mm(usual seiko diver size) to swap about. Be it the jubilee, engineer/engineer 2, oyster etc etc . I have straight ends on the citizen, but overall i prefer the rounded ends(so fits nicely and looks OE ). Solid end links even better!!!

But an easy way to transform a fav watch , maybe one you have had for a few years and fond of. A bracelet, like a set of new rims for a car, transforms it. If you have other 20mm or 22mm watches, you can swap those around as well, so it creates an almost infinite choice of wrist wear for different occasions.

Look forward to the little project Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK85 View Post
    Today this Damasko for me

Very nice Tom

Thanks scout, so far i am quite impressed and no regrets. Even though its a small amount of $, it can be still very frustrating if things turn out a fail. Now i know the quality is decent, i may even sway for a ti flavour next............. i give up! If i do, i may get a 5000 as i dont have one of those yet.

All fun, took maybe 15 mins from start to finish, that includes removing the module and G shock rubber...............which you dont need to do!
    Love your project. I was thinking of adding a bracelet to my DW5600 but they wear a bit larger than the resin. Tried one on my GW 5000 and ended up selling the bracelet. Still lovin' the watches though.

Haha, it can be addictive, but it is cool making your own piece that makes it more rare or just different.... So making your own, be it swapping a face, hands or strap/bracelet, gives it that more personal touch....

But an easy way to transform a fav watch , maybe one you have had for a few years and fond of. A bracelet, like a set of new rims for a car, transforms it....
    I almost always change the bracelet or strap on a new watch.

This one getting an upgrade next ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vemice View Post
    Love your project. I was thinking of adding a bracelet to my DW5600 but they wear a bit larger than the resin. Tried one on my GW 5000 and ended up selling the bracelet. Still lovin' the watches though.

Thank you for kind words, love those 2 G's. There are a good few options , there are not just camo, but black,gold,silver, aged etc etc etc to change the look. As the 5600 and 5610 are different sizes, unfortunately you can not swap the bezel and strap with those 2. But for what they cost(ti/ss) it might be worth looking into. The micro adjustment has 4 slots, so it is easy to get a perfect fit. It is comfy, even in the little heavier SS.

A beauty archi.....................but i would expect no less

Today about to leave for work, little camo day(a couple of guys want to check it out , so might as well wear it!)

Happy hump day all, have a good'n
    Last edited by ven; 01-28-2020 at 11:08 PM.

Might be a good candidate for one of Eriks's Originals. She offers nice accent colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Vemice View Post
    Might be a good candidate for one of Eriks's Originals. She offers nice accent colors....
    Thanks @Vemice, that looks great, but I have something already planned and will try to remember to post another photo.

Today the ochs und junior annual calendar.

Thats cool Tom, like that a lot!

I win the wake up the earliest competition......... Oh well, chill and read up time
    Still the 5600 camo, its too early and dark to risk waking everyone to swap right now.

Sadly my 20 year old Citizen quartz watch has stopped working, despite two battery changes. Probably not worth getting it fixed, even though it cost close to $300 when new.

That is a shame , are the batteries same batch? I would have to try again fresh just in case, too nice to give up on just yet. Another option, if/when you open up the back, if you get the movement info, might be worth looking on a certain auction site. Might be able to fine a beat up donor or an actual movement to swap(if it is defo not the battery). Just a thought.......

Have a look UK side as well, i can easily ship to you.

Thats cool Tom, like that a lot!
    Tx! Really enjoy it!

I win the wake up the earliest competition......... Oh well, chill and read up time
    Still the 5600 camo, its too early and dark to risk waking everyone to swap right now.
    Is that a GMW-B5000TCM-1?

Son of a...

Read your leaving for work post..., so you must work the night shift...

Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 01-30-2020 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Is that a GMW-B5000TCM-1?

Son of a...

Read your leaving for work post..., so you must work the night shift...

No nights for me, 6am start though. No not the 5000, at £1400 I made my own with a 5600

Quick swap out

Little project on the go for a friend. 20yr old G shock, 12 beast his late mum got him. Been in a draw for 10+ years, dead and strap in tatters.

Clean up

New battery, time set

Now to sort a bezel and resin strap out, once decided on a colour.

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728293031 LastLast