SST-90 and donut/bright corona/dimmer center

berfles

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering how normal it is for an SST-90 LED to have a brighter corona than the center of the spot... I read one post talking about the SR90 having this but I can't find any other info. It's not like it's a black circle, but the center of the spot is dimmer than the outer edges.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. Big ole' LED like the SST-90 with a smooth reflector and you're bound to get a hole. I've just received my Varapower Turbo 2.0 from Kevin at Lambda Lights and there's a noticeable donut hole when I'm shining it at a wall indoors. But in my experience, you shouldn't be spending too much time shining a 2000 lumen light at a wall indoors :)

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Yep. Big ole' LED like the SST-90 with a smooth reflector and you're bound to get a hole. I've just received my Varapower Turbo 2.0 from Kevin at Lambda Lights and there's a noticeable donut hole when I'm shining it at a wall indoors. But in my experience, you shouldn't be spending too much time shining a 2000 lumen light at a wall indoors :)

Thanks. I notice it when I shine it outside too, but as long as it's "normal" and to be expected I'm fine with it. I had a feeling that was the case but just wanted to make sure. I know he tested them and if it was out of the ordinary he wouldn't have sent it out, but I always need confirmation :)

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be lucky, as my VPT Dedomed does not have a darker hole within the hotspot. I have even tried it on white walls. I guess it is about time luck came my way. I am usually cursed with dreaded green tint :sick2: :eek:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my previous mods on SST-90 Mag Rebel SMO had a weaker center, not enough to be donut but bother me enough on white walls.
De-domed SST-90 doesn't have that but it's much smaller apparent led size & much smaller spot. However, after de-dome, it'll only output 1200-1300 lumens,
not that much more than hard driven XML, the spot size is similar to xml, the efficiency is less than xml.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
All of my previous mods on SST-90 Mag Rebel SMO had a weaker center, not enough to be donut but bother me enough on white walls.
De-domed SST-90 doesn't have that but it's much smaller apparent led size & much smaller spot. However, after de-dome, it'll only output 1200-1300 lumens,
not that much more than hard driven XML, the spot size is similar to xml, the efficiency is less than xml.

My SST-90 in the SR90 didn't really change in lumen out put...as the SR90 was ridiculously OVER labeled by Olight to start with. Selfbuilt and TurboBB, respectively, measured the Lumen out put of a STOCK LED as ~ 1,400 L, and the De-Domed LED at 1,350 L.

To me, that's the same # for all intents and purposes.

:D

So, while a LOT of LEDs lost lumens when de-domed, if done well/w/o damage, etc...its not a given that they ALL have to. The SST-90 at least seems to be easy.

:devil:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not have mine de-domed. I would expect the de-doming would help eliminate the donut effect.

I must be lucky, as my VPT Dedomed does not have a darker hole within the hotspot. I have even tried it on white walls. I guess it is about time luck came my way. I am usually cursed with dreaded green tint :sick2: :eek:

I have a TrustFire X6 which has the SST-90 and the absolute centre of the spot is a bit brighter than the rest of the centre. What I would truly call the corona around the centre spot is definitely NOT brighter than the centre, although the corona is yellow-ish while the ALL of centre is white.

Hoop

Enlightened
My SR-90 has no sign of a donut. Its a very narrow beam.

The lumens rating of the sr-90 pre-dates the ANSI standard.

Last edited: