Nebo Redline

LEDrock

Enlightened
I just bought a Nebo Tools Redline light at a local gunshop which seemed to good to pass up. I normally don't like 3AAA lights, but this one looked great. It claims 220 lumens and also has a lower mode, SOS and strobe. It's my first multi level light, and cost $22. Haven't had a chance to take it out in the dark yet, but will tonight. I just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with one of these.

Website doesn't tell what kind of LED it uses, but I just wrote to the company and they quickly replied that it's a Cree. I'm going to write back and ask if they know which one. Here's their site: http://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=83&cid=16

LEDrock

Enlightened
I just bought a Nebo Tools Redline light at a local gunshop which seemed to good to pass up. I normally don't like 3AAA lights, but this one looked great. It claims 220 lumens and also has a lower mode, SOS and strobe. It's my first multi level light, and cost $22. Haven't had a chance to take it out in the dark yet, but will tonight. I just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with one of these.

Website doesn't tell what kind of LED it uses, but I just wrote to the company and they quickly replied that it's a Cree. I'm going to write back and ask if they know which one. Here's their site: http://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=83&cid=16

Never mind. I just found another thread on it and discovered that I just wasted my money, AGAIN! :( I think it's time to give up on this hobby...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?311946-nebo-redline-you-know-the-deal

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had nebo red line, worked fine until i dropped it and red ring broke, the only downside i saw was 3aaa, some might say the lens sys is bad too but, it works, who cares if it is few percents less efficient than tir, it works, all that matters.
it uses xre led if you still care. i used it head to head with mini magled, imo, it beats it in almost everyway.

there is new version came out, 1 mode, switch feels like low current momentary button, the head is redesigned, and made from aluminium, and ring is thinner.
pay no mind what they say in other thread, test it in real world and see for yourself.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone gave me one of these (a non-flashaholic who thought I would like it) and I gotta tell you, I was kinda impressed with the little guy. It actually has some pretty respectable throw and the zoom feature works really well and is quite handy.

I run mine on an 18500 using a magnetic spacer.

I ended up swapping the aspheric onto my SC600 just for shits and giggles (just temporarily). That XM-L makes for a very large die image!:cool: I gotta be the only one here who's ever built an SC600 aspheric. :crackup:

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Ha I just so happened to find one of these in a garage a few days ago. Its pretty well worn with a couple burn marks on the aspherical lens, presumably from welding. Major problem is that the tailcap was missing sooo...not a lot I can do with it. I'm trying to rig it up with an 18650 and a makeshift switch. It seems decent enough when testing it out though.

Rokron

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these light a long time ago. It was my second LED flashlight and it was a hardware store impuls buy. What did I know about LED's. :laughing: My first was a Dorcey. I still have both and I use my Nebo while working on my Dodge 2500. It's a beater that gets oily and greasy and cleans up good and serves its purpose well. The Nebo has a Cree XR-E emitter. Then I found CPF and CPF Market Place and that started my collection of real LED flashlights.

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
Never mind. I just found another thread on it and discovered that I just wasted my money, AGAIN! :( I think it's time to give up on this hobby...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?311946-nebo-redline-you-know-the-deal

Don't give up just because of a bad apple. My first LED light was a Duracell Daylite. That flashlight was garbage and only lasted 1 week. It met the brick wall after dying out. My second light was the Coleman XRE 7090 emitter...It's still around but I dont have a use for it. I de-domed it for better lux but it's still garbage. My third light became a Surefire G2 LED...That light died out 2 weeks when I dropped it bezel side down, causing the spring to snap off and shattering the plastic in the module. As of right now, it's a dust collector.

We all have bad luck here and there. Since then, I decided to avoid lights from brick-and-mortar stores such as Walmart, Radio Shack, Target and such. You get what you paid for.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is new version or red line,
aluminium head, pocket clip, driver and pwm looks like separated, driver in the head, pwm in the tailcap, modes are hidden, you have to hold the button for few sec, than you change modes by pressing button, which does not feel like regular clicky. battery holder is similar to maglite with multiple contacts. tailcap has very strong magnet, its thread is lubed, and has o riing.
the same lens as old model, led looks also unchanged.
it also appears to have low battery indicator, when 20% left button (which is gitd) glows red.

nb1.jpg

nb2.jpg

Last edited:

LEDrock

Enlightened
i had nebo red line, worked fine until i dropped it and red ring broke, the only downside i saw was 3aaa, some might say the lens sys is bad too but, it works, who cares if it is few percents less efficient than tir, it works, all that matters.
it uses xre led if you still care. i used it head to head with mini magled, imo, it beats it in almost everyway.

there is new version came out, 1 mode, switch feels like low current momentary button, the head is redesigned, and made from aluminium, and ring is thinner.
pay no mind what they say in other thread, test it in real world and see for yourself.

Yep, I tried it out last night after it got dark outside. Definately not 220 lumens. I have an Energizer 2AA that claims 130 lumens and it is much brighter than the Nebo Redline. It has a wider area of coverage too. I'd like to think that it would make a great longevity light at the 10% level, but it claims 15 hours on that level at 22 lumens. Hmmm. If it's nowhere near 220 lumens at the high level, then the lower level claims are probably BS too, right? Besides, my mini mag nite ize light actually does have a 13 hour run time--and that's a tested runtime done by someone on this site long ago, not just some manufacturer's claim.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I was in Fry's the other day, I saw a NEBO US Army TAC-180, built like a Stryker APC. Runs on 3*AAs with SOS, strobe. Output range from 60~180 lumens I think. As I'm down to my last AA unit, I thought I'd pick one up. But know one has down a review on this model. Check it out at http://www.nebotools.com/.
chiphead

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
maglite xl200 high

P1070366.jpg

redline high narrow

P1070367.jpg

redline high wide

P1070368.jpg

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Probably a piece of junk but the big A web seller has a new model "Nebo Redline Select Titanium" in apparently Titanium color finish aluminum for what appears to be a good price for a apparently almost all metal light. A claimed increased output to a probably highly exaggerated 310 Lumens maximum. Looks interesting so I may get one as a beater. Anyone else bought this model? Ever since Maglites I have kind of liked flashlights with focusing beams, which this has.

Latest posts