Q: Sputtered M*g C/D Reflectors

litho123

Enlightened
Sorry if this has been covered before. In reading various posts about sputtering the inside of a M*g reflector, the Krylon Acrylic Gloss spray is mentioned to use. I went to the store to purchase some (not in stock) and saw Krylon's Gloss Chrome spray. It looked very inviting! Would this work just as well as the clear spray? …or better? …or worse? Thanks for your help.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

I was just wondering about this myself a few days ago. I think I'm going to try it.

If you search the forum on "sputtered" or "sputter", for posts by "lambda" you will find the directions for doing them. Or you could just buy one from lambda. Mine was $6.

Again, welcome...

Illuminated

Enlightened
Welcome Lotho123 -

Lambda(Kevin) introduced us to the sputtering technique, and with a a little practice, can be done fairly consistently on Mag reflectors. Watch out for some of the Brinkmann's, though, because they tend to have some sort of chemical reaction which simply turns them from reflective to grey.

Krylon clear works for low power and LED appications. High heat clear engine namel works for the higher-powered incandescent applications.

Flat white (full coat) can be suprisingly effective if smooth, full flood effect is desired. Also depends on reflector geometry.

If "sputtering" with clear is done, think "dry" when applying, kind of like overspraying.

Take your ideas and try them out. If you search the forum and don't find anything that you want to know about, use your own ideas and do a little experimenting. Then share the results of what you've learned with the rest of us - that's what makes this forum so great IMHO!

BTW, I didn't find any "chrome" spray, but I tried some "bright silver" on a deteriorated reflector, and it was better, but not anything really outstanding. Flat white would probably have reflected more overall, and provided more total light output IMO.

John