Lumens Factory or ThruNite?

Norseman2

Newly Enlightened
Flashaholics ...which of these would you buy if you couldn't get a Malkoff M61 right now?

Lumens Factory E Series LED Module Only - 3 Mode - 3- 3.7 Volts for $29.99

OR

ThruNite Cree XM-L 3 mode drop-in for SureFire and others 2.7 - 4.2 Volts for $23.99

It will run off 1 X 18650 in a Solarforce L2P

Thanks for the help ...you guys are great!!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Similar quality... I would go with Thrunite since I was a little disappointed by how LF did thermal conduction from LED PCB to the board...

LF is XPG I believe run at 1A to LED... so total output is around 250 OTF on max at turn-on...

Thrunite is XML at 1.5A to the LED... total output is around 450 OTF on max at turn-on...

Out of those two I would take the third one, EDC+ X60L Neutral Whilte XML 3-Mode... :) $40 but well worth the price...

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, I missed that... you're right PCC... he's mentioning E-series module that's only compatible with their E-series bezel... but their D26 LED module is in same price range, only I think they gave up on this low voltage in D26 now, only offering 3.6-13V driver...

Norseman2

Newly Enlightened
I would double-check that Lumens Factory module if I were you. Isn't that their proprietary drop-in for their own E-series head? Will that work in a P60 host?

Ahhhh ...missed that!! Thanks for pointing out.

But Thrunite is good stuff? I'll just go with that. I'm not spending $40 now because next month I'm going to get the Malkoff M61 LOL

Thanks guys!!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were you, I would order a custom drop-in from nailbender or vinhnguyen54. They can make you some mind-blowing drop-ins, from XM-Ls that will crank out 1,000 lumens at the emitter to Nichia 219 high CRI.

Last edited:

Norseman2

Newly Enlightened
If I were you, I would order a custom drop-in from nailbender or vinhnguyen54. They can make you some mind-blowing drop-ins, from XM-Ls that will crank out 1,000 lumens at the emitter to Nichia 219 high CRI.

This is just my starter bulb ...in about a month I'm going to get a serious one like you suggest. And I will definitely be referring back to these posts so thanks very much!!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have that Lumens Factory e-series head You are typing about and hate it, its crap.
And it will not fit into a P60 host!, as it is made to fit onto an E-series light (smaller diameter)

That Trunite costs almost the same than an Nailbender --> no question, what to order then.

Think of Your requirements of
* full power amperage (= max lumen output)
* led tint color
* battery setup
* mode(s) switching
and then get a Nailbender

Norseman2

Newly Enlightened
Ok I just went with a mid-range bulb for today. Next month I'll get either a Nailbender or Malkoff ...whichever you guys talk me into LOL

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i notice you arent sure about getting malkoffs yet, and in honestly malkoffs arent the brightest, doesnt have multiply modes. beam pattern doesnt provide alot of throw.

what malkoffs drop-ins are, are the best in terms of quality, reliability, and simplicity.
ive try other drop-ins, but all my p60 hosts have malkoffs in them now.
i dont EDC my p60 hosts. for me, the size is too big for pocket carry. these are my work/emergency lights. at work i holster carry a C2. when i work on cars, or any home projects, i grab a malkoffed p60 host or 2.
i have my other p60 hosts scattered around the house for my family to use. because theyre simple to use, parts are interchangeable, have good runtimes with a long taper as cells deplete, wide voltage range, great all-around beam pattern, reliable, and has excellent thermal regulation. i can leave the light on, unattended until the batteries go dead, and not worry about it getting too hot, and damaging itself.

i guess for me, malkoffs make the best general use lights. i understand some want more output, throw, levels etc. and there are other options.
so i think you should try out whichever you're looking for thatll make you happy. going the custom route with nailbender or vinh is worth looking into. nailbender has tons of options, from LEDs, modes, voltage range, reflectors, etc..

also, malkoffs hold value, if you get a malkoff used for $50-60, then decide you want to use the money on something else. you could easily sell it for what you got it for.
ive noticed the W, N, hCRI models move even faster on the marketplace, if reasonably priced.