my solution to the arc aa

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
since before the arc aa idea was even being seriously considered by peter, i had a bar of aluminum dedicated to becoming an aa body for an arc aaa head.
it kept getting put off, becuase i had other things to do, and mainly, because i just didn't have the right tap, or a knurler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

the knurler finally came in today, and i got a tap a couple weeks ago, so i finished it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i was going to wait and have it annodyzed before posting it, but i have no idea how long that will take... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

arc_aaa_aa_bod_4.jpg

arc_aaa_aa_bod_2.jpg

arc_aaa_aa_bod_3.jpg

arc_aaa_aa_bod_1.jpg

i don't have an arc aa to compare it to, but i would imagine mine is slightly larger, as it was made to accept a kroll tailswitch. it has the same od as a minimag, and because it's a tailswitch light, and not just a rotate on/off, it is longer also.

would have been nice to finish it before the real aa's came out, but oh well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

the real beauty of this design i think, is that i can swap any color head i want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i've been using it with my green head that has been modded with clear epoxy to make a smooth wide beam, perfect for reading /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Looking goof Roth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

That knurling looks very good. Hows it stackup next to SF's knurling?

Can you tell if it is any brighter than running on a AAA?
The different batt resistance might make it alittle brighter.

I know my Arc AA is ALOT brighter than all my AAA's.
Mainly do to the larger reflector, the spill light is the main difference.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is boss, Roth. I'd like to have one of your bodies with that switch that I could screw my Arc AA's head into.

BC

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you got your knurler and taps finally. Now there is no excuse to stay out of the workshop and clocking up those *****'s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You skill are improving leaps and bounds roth, now to build a light box so that the pictures you take can look very professional; Good enough for the mass market /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Looking goof Roth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ...

[/ QUOTE ]

aw, coming from you ticey, that's an honor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks for all the compliments guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
eh, what can I say? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

At least it made sence for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes ticey...it made perfect sen<font color="red">s</font>e /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PP sent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ups, i forgot you don't even have a PP account /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Roth,

Congrads on the knurl!!!! I hope it's one of the "opposed squeeze" tools (for lack of a better descr.) or you'll knock your headstock bearings out in no time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Decent knurling is tough to master- I haven't yet! Machinery"s Handbook has a bunch of useful (unless you're in a hurry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) info.
Edit: OD on 2 of my Arc AAs is .702" and a handy MM is .710"- The CR2s were abt .705" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, it's the kind that has a wheel on either side of the piece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif it works pretty well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wow, that cr2 must feel pretty cramped inside that light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts