Most powerful flashlight for AA batteries

toneedo

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for the most powerful and best flashlight using AA batteries. Possibly 5+ watt luxeon or more. I have rechargble 2300mah nimh AA batteries and i want a powerful flashlight for them.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL4 with 3AA body ?
Modded 12AA (24AA) 20W (35W) IRC MR16 in 2/3D ?

Klaus

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Not an LED but the PT Surge is BRIGHT on 8xAA batteries (two groups of 4xAA)

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
MEGALITE HD - "Thick beam output from a 5W HD Luxeon operating at up to 10 watts. Uses a removable 6AA battery cartridge that works with both alkaline and NiMh/NiCd rechargeable batteries."

Lambda makes excellent lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If you can get your hands on a Space Needle II with Assault and Batteries barrel, it has a 5W Luxeon Star and uses 6 AA cells; that's what I'd go for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toneedo: Maybe you should give a ball park figure of how many AA cells you want to use?

I can imagine building a real eye burner using at least 24 AA cells in series-parallel configuration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Toneedo,

Welcome to CPF. Welcome to the world of bright flashlights.

A few of us in the "hot wire" category have put 9 or 10 AAs in a Mag 3D running a 32-watt WelchAllyn 01185 bulb. Details are in the thread, 500 Lumen Mag 3D.

Paul

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the PT Surge is the best form factor as well as good output. I know you can run the KL4 with 4AA's. THe problem for me is that it becomes an unacceptably long package. I don't like carrying baton-length flashlights and much prefer something that can fit in my fat little hands. I'd like to see a power pack that takes 4AA's or 8AA's (like the surge) and holds a McLux PR. It's probably a lot of machining work but NiMH AA's are very economical for heavy use lights.

CM

tankahn

Newly Enlightened
PT Surge has a microswitch that is easily dislodged when batteries are being changed. Other users has reported it exploding due to internal pressure. I removed the O ring to in case it happens to mine.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
After many people use a flashlight long enough, something is bound to happen. I've had one for a long time, and have never been so careless while changing the batteries so as to bash the switch.

Also, that explosion incident may have been from reverse charging. I would suggest cleaning the contacts regularly, or just running it on 4AA NiMH. It's lighter that way anyway, which brings me to my only real criticism of it which is that I would prefer a smaller one designed only for use with 4AA.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one Surge exploded in my backpack due to reverse charging. Since then, I become very picky on charger:-(

Alan