The Perfect Zebralight SC600 Holster!

zenbeam

Enlightened
Nite Ize FAMT-03-01 Tool Holster Stretch

A holster review by zenbeam?
I suppose, but specifically from the standpoint of it being used for the Zebralight SC600 (flashlight of awe).

SAM_0010.jpg

I bought this holster almost a year ago to accommodate a couple of my pocket knives. It works the best with my Victorinox Trekker Swiss Army Knife - but I only carry it when I go out to one of my country properties to do some work. Since starting my flashlight collection, I have been hoping that this holster would just happen to fit one of my nicer lights so I could get some more regular use from it. And man, did I ever finally come across that light! The Zebralight SC600 that I just received yesterday! Fits this holster like it should've shipped with it included in the same retail package!

SAM_0003.jpg

This holster is designed for multi-tools primarily and probably pocket knives a close second. It has the rigid, protective build of an EagleTac D-series holster (with a much better snap I might add) and yet it's flexible in that it stretches to accommodate various sized items. And as for that snap, this one not only holds the flap closed more reliably than the EagleTac D-series holster, but it also does NOT allow the bare metal of the underside of the snap to come into contact with the contents of the holster.

SAM_0007.jpg

This holster has a very solid plastic belt clip that rotates 360 degrees. I prefer this to metal (like the Fenix A206) and it does feel every bit as strong. It is firm enough to not "spin around" freely when bumped and yet easy enough to turn by hand to each new position stop (about a quarter turn per stop). It can be worn vertically or horizontally. I prefer horizontally as it seems less conspicuous (e.g., at work) and so it is less in the way when seated or bending over, etc. But when worn vertically, it isn't so lengthy that it becomes cumbersome - it depends on what area of your waist you place it (back, side, etc.).

SAM_0005.jpg

The holster doesn't allow for the flashlight to be in use while still in the holster on your hip like Nite Ize's Flashlight Holster Stretch or Fenix's A206 (both of which I own and appreciate) - but that is because of the nice flap that protects your expensive lens while worn.

SAM_0002.jpg

The Zebralight SC600 fits this holster like a glove! It needs to stay bezel up. Don't be fooled by the slightly large appearance of the holster. Under that rigid "shield" piece on the front, there lies the two "stretch" halves that are pulled rather taught by elastic straps - so that the body tube of the SC600 is far from "loose" in there. It is snug as a bug in a rug, yet you don't have to wrestle with it to slide it out for use - or to put it back away.

SAM_0008.jpg

In short, they couldn't have custom built a better holster for the Zebralight SC600! This is a very solid and practical way to protect and get more use out of your investment - the beauty that many of us have come to know as the Zebralight SC600. And I consider this holster extremely well built for the price - under $10 delivered. In fact, it's practically a steal. And this of course is all in my absolute, humble, if not rambling on somewhat, opinion. :naughty:

Last edited:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would break that plastic clip off in about 10 minutes. I have destroyed countless phone clips like that one getting in and out of vehicles. It might work for Light duty.

I use the following holster for my SC600 - Link

Its actually made for knives / Magazines but it works perfect for the SC600, and it slides onto your belt, there is no way your ripping this thing off and losing your light. Its built very well and even holds a pen, very handy!

They are very inexpensive, I picked up 4 of them and they last about 6 months with EDC usage. The Velcro wears out but the SC600 fits in nice and snug so it wont fall out.

I have to give credit to my buddy Navistar for suggesting these.

DSC03415.jpg

DSC03414.jpg

Its a bit rough looking now but its built tough.

-Bobby

bodhran

Enlightened
Your humble and rambling opinion is much appreciated. I use a Nite Ize holster for my phone and love it. This looks just perfect. Thanks for the review and pics.

zenbeam

Enlightened
@tobrien & @bodhran - You're quite welcome!

@nakahoshi - That is a very workable holster you've got there. And I hope my excitement for finding a matched partner for my Nite Ize holster and sharing it here does spawn positive critique and alternative suggestions. I must say though that I've gone through about 6 or so broken cell phone belt clips myself - mostly at the hands of my car seatbelt! So I know what you're talking about. I have to say though that the clip on this Nite Ize holster is quite a lot tougher than a typical cell phone belt clip. And if you wear it horizontally, I have no doubt it will hold up quite well in the long run. From an aesthetic standpoint, I have to say the Nite Ize have it. (corny I know.. lol)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Thors Custom Leather holster for my SC600, it fits snug because it was built how I asked it to be built ;)
Another light that fits it nicely is my HDS 120 modded U2 XML :D

7b153004.jpg

See how cozy the sc600 is in there, custom fit with my initials on it. :naughty:

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes to anyone looking for a great SC600 holster search CPF for "SC600 holsters" and look for the thread that has all the pics from Thors custom Leather, as CarpentryHero shows they are fantastic!

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Good info.
I am considering that holster myself. Currently I am using a Maxpedition 4 inch flashlight holster which isn't bad either.

8vvqz6.jpg

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
@nakahoshi - That is a very workable holster you've got there. And I hope my excitement for finding a matched partner for my Nite Ize holster and sharing it here does spawn positive critique and alternative suggestions. I must say though that I've gone through about 6 or so broken cell phone belt clips myself - mostly at the hands of my car seatbelt! So I know what you're talking about. I have to say though that the clip on this Nite Ize holster is quite a lot tougher than a typical cell phone belt clip. And if you wear it horizontally, I have no doubt it will hold up quite well in the long run. From an aesthetic standpoint, I have to say the Nite Ize have it. (corny I know.. lol)

If the clip is built better than most plastic clips you have a really nice option there! I do like the idea of a quick detachable holster but Ive had nothing but busted clips with all the ones i have ever tried.

Your holster is much nicer looking, but I consider mine to be a hard working mule. :thumbsup:

The Custom Leather holsters look great too, Its hard to pass up an option for under $10 though!

Good Find!

-Bobby

zenbeam

Enlightened
Definitely have to give kudos to those custom holsters!

I might find myself seriously looking into to having a dual sheath made for a specific flashlight and folding knife combo!
Ever notice how easy it is to generate ideas that cost $$$??? :broke: :naughty:

g.p.

Enlightened

zenbeam

Enlightened
I found that I can't get my SC600 in the Nite Ize holster without using two hands - it's too tight. Makes it hard to use when it's on my belt.

This holster fits the SC600 perfectly and is well made. I've been using it at work for a few months now without any issues. Really can't beat it for the price at Manafont - $5.20 SHIPPED! :eek:

http://www.nextorch.com/en/accessories/holsters/V1438/

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/nextorch-nylon-nov1438-flashlight-holster-p-5715

At first, to insert the SC600 into the Nite Ize holster, it does take one hand to steady the holster to overcome the initial tension. But I've found that after only two work days, the holster has adjusted somewhat to the light and now I can put the light back into the holster one handed with relative ease. It didn't occur to me to mention that because it did "break-in" for me fairly quickly.

But the holster q.p. points out is certainly a nice one. It would come in handy actually to have both types of holsters to choose from depending on what you might be doing while carrying a light. At these price points, I would have to say it would be a good idea to have both!

I would almost grab the Nextorch holster myself, but two small things hold me back - not a fan of the white lettering on the flap, and I do prefer horizontal mounting when possible. The riggers sheath posted by nakahoshi comes closer to what I would want in an alternative, but it does seem a little flimsy-ish for $9.

okay... lol... I do think some great alternatives are being posted. I'll stop offering counter-points to each suggested holster... But I did want to point out that the Nite Ize does break in fairly quickly and allows for one-handed use (at least mine did).

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
At first, to insert the SC600 into the Nite Ize holster, it does take one hand to steady the holster to overcome the initial tension. But I've found that after only two work days, the holster has adjusted somewhat to the light and now I can put the light back into the holster one handed with relative ease. It didn't occur to me to mention that because it did "break-in" for me fairly quickly.

But the holster q.p. points out is certainly a nice one. It would come in handy actually to have both types of holsters to choose from depending on what you might be doing while carrying a light. At these price points, I would have to say it would be a good idea to have both!

I would almost grab the Nextorch holster myself, but two small things hold me back - not a fan of the white lettering on the flap, and I do prefer horizontal mounting when possible. The riggers sheath posted by nakahoshi comes closer to what I would want in an alternative, but it does seem a little flimsy-ish for $9.

okay... lol... I do think some great alternatives are being posted. I'll stop offering counter-points to each suggested holster... But I did want to point out that the Nite Ize does break in fairly quickly and allows for one-handed use (at least mine did).

I had the same problem with my Maxpedition holster. The elastic on it made one-handed operations difficult. My solution was to simply cut off the elastic strap. Now it is much easier to get in and out. The Nite Ize also seems to have elastic straps though I can't tell from the pic if they can removed without affecting the holster.

zenbeam

Enlightened
Good info.
I am considering that holster myself. Currently I am using a Maxpedition 4 inch flashlight holster which isn't bad either.

8vvqz6.jpg

For some reason, I didn't see that image earlier today when I saw your post. Not bad! I actually have a bunch of maxpedition stuff in my Amazon cart for some future canoe and camping expeditions I'll be going on. Never used their stuff, but it sure looks good and seems reviewed well.

Does that holster mount horizontally and/or vertically?

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
For some reason, I didn't see that image earlier today when I saw your post. Not bad! I actually have a bunch of maxpedition stuff in my Amazon cart for some future canoe and camping expeditions I'll be going on. Never used their stuff, but it sure looks good and seems reviewed well.

Does that holster mount horizontally and/or vertically?

Hehe, I just uploaded the pic.
It can be mounted both horizontally or vertically.

bodhran

Enlightened
The clip is the same as the one on my Nite Ize phone case which I have carried almost every day for the past two years. The clip shows no wear at all and it has never come off my belt. For me this will be a quality holster for my sc600w that I don't have to thread my belt through everytime take it on of off. I work 24 hr. shifts so that is a plus.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip is the same as the one on my Nite Ize phone case which I have carried almost every day for the past two years. The clip shows no wear at all and it has never come off my belt. For me this will be a quality holster for my sc600w that I don't have to thread my belt through everytime take it on of off. I work 24 hr. shifts so that is a plus.
very good to hear, thanks for the reassurance/testimonial!

bodhran

Enlightened
Recieved my Nite Ize holster today and it does indeed fit like a glove. Just a little snug right now but not to bad and I'm sure it'll loosen up a little with use. I have the Nextorch holster and it does work, but a little to big for my 600. Once again a big thanks to Zenbeam.

Last edited:

zenbeam

Enlightened
Recieved my Nite Ize holster today and it does indeed fit like a glove. Just a little snug right now but not to bad and I'm sure it'll loosen up a little with use. I have the Nextorch holster and it does work, but a little to big for my 600. Once again a big thanks to Zenbeam.

Awesome! It will "break in" and loosen up a bit with some repeated use. Mine was about a year old when I did this write up, and already rather "broken in" before I ever put the SC600 in it. I think just leaving the light in the holster overnight a few nights should loosen up the elastic nicely. Otherwise, glad you like it! I know the title of this thread "The Perfect Zebralight SC600 Holster" is a bit "showy", but it sure seems to come close!

Last edited: