Surefire 6P info

nykon1969

Newly Enlightened
Forgive me if my search skills are lacking, and this information has already been posted somewhere. I have been favoring my 6P for the past year, and keep burning through batteries. What I want to know is if there are trusted rechargeable batteries that I could use. I came across-ed the SF2R-KIT01 from Surefire, but from what I read is that they are only half as good as normal disposable CR123's. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using the stock incandescant P60 bulb?

If so, most rechargeables will cause the bulb to burn out due to too much voltage.
Now if you use a P90 bulb instead, you'd be ok with rechargeables.

The only rechargeable cell's I'd recommend would be AW RCR123's.
You can get these at Lighthound.com

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh so your ok with the AW rechargeables then. That head is rated for 9volts.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I came across-ed the SF2R-KIT01 from Surefire, but from what I read is that they are only half as good as normal disposable CR123's.

CR123/primaries have a remarkable amount of energy. Compared to them, ALL rechargeable lithiums have way less capacity. The only way you can even come close to matching the same level of energy is by going bigger.

What most folks do is combine a single larger cell like a 17670 or 18650 with an LED module. This gives the most rechargeable runtime possible.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
The single larger cell would be good, but be prepared to loose some output using it.

But that being said, you will lose runtime using the smaller RCR123's.

I guess it all depends on what fits your needs best.

nykon1969

Newly Enlightened
OK I checked out those batteries "AWRCR123" and the price point is great. Ive never used that brand, are they very reliable, shelf life, ect. I have Ultrafire-WF-139-Charger for my ultra-fire 14500's and it works great, but will it be good to use on these new batteries?

ElectronGuru

Thanks for the advice. I have found the more I delve into the flashlight fold the more info I get and the more flashlights I pick up. Also since you did bring up the topic of 18650's what brand would you recommend?

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW also makes 18650s. In general, they are a very reputable brand and used my many if not most folks around here. Your ultrafire charger should charge not only your RCR123s but the 18650s as well. One thing to note, a stock Surefire 6P will not accept an 18650. You will need to look into a 17670 or have your host bored out to 18mm.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the WF139 charger myself to charge up my 17670s for both of my Surefire lights but I also have a voltmeter to check that it's charging them properly (it is). As to what brand of 18650....AW of course...there is also Redilast. So far I have found Lighthound to have the lowest price and widest selection of AW cells although some other places have sizes that they don't carry. Since it's a Surefire, you could change the head for something more suited to single cell operation and get more lumens and possibly longer runtime.

yifu

Enlightened
If you plan on using the stock P60, 2 LiCo/IMR16340s will blow it. You need to use LiFePO4 16340 cells if you want to use the stock P60. You can use the P90 with 2 LiCo/IMR16340s. A 17670 is not guaranteed to fit into an unbored Surefire. You need to contact precisionworks for boring out the tube to fit 18650s, 17670s, 18350s, 18500s etc.

nykon1969

Newly Enlightened
I will be ok with my Surefire running the 2 rechargeable's as I have other lights that I can run the 18650's in, and really like the current setup of my surefire. The 18650 is for my solarforce M6 XM-L. What mAH rating should I be looking at on that light. I was looking at the 3100 mah as the review on LH for that mentioned using that and it lasting hours with that light, but I do not want to burn anything out as it was not that cheap of a light.(I know in the grand scheme of things it was fairly cheap)

shane45_1911

Enlightened
What mAH rating should I be looking at on that light. I was looking at the 3100 mah as the review on LH for that mentioned using that and it lasting hours with that light, but I do not want to burn anything out

mAh rating is simply how long your light will run. It is not a measure of voltage. As long as the battery voltage is fine for your light, then go for the higher mAh for longer runtimes.

nykon1969

Newly Enlightened
shane45_1911

I don't think that could of been explained any better thank you.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many LED dropins that could be used with those AW RCR123 batteries. A nice, easy mod. LEDs will give you runtime, a SF P91 incandescent with 2 X 16340 IMR cells will give you bright light for a very short run time. Be sure to keep the batteries charged. Look through the MarketPlace and find a dropin you like and add the AW batteries. Your 6P will be new again!