4sevens quark aa2, r5? Or not.

Tab rad

Newly Enlightened
Hello there all you mad scientists, this is my first post so bare with me.

I have done alot of research on Here lately to find a good quality light to fit my needs, I landed on this one, quark aa2 by 4sevens. And ordered it from this site (the REI of Canada)

When I received it. There was black tape covering the "R5" logo
http://i.imgur.com/Ortkp.jpg

What does this mean? I did buy this model specificly because I've read the R5 was good. If it isn't the difference will probably be less than I can notice. I'm just a tad confused, is there anyone that can enlighten me about this issue.

Please do not link directly to sales sites - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I'm not really qualified to tell you what your LED is by looking at it.. but if you could post a pic of the led in your light, many of the folks around here can tell you if it is an R5 or not.

On a side note, even though some leds will throw better than an R5... if I bought an R5 light and it wasn't an R5.. I'd be livid.

edpmis02

Enlightened
original release- R2 = XP-E
current version- R5 = XP-G (Cool white)
current version- R4 = XP-G (neutral white)
current version- Q4 = XP-G (High CRI)

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
It would be better if you can take a pic of the business end(the LED itself) so other members can really see what is the LED in your quark AA2

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's an XP-G. I'm...not sure you're supposed to open the head like that though. Ah well.

Shine it at something next to an incandescent lamp. If it looks quite bluer, it's XP-G R5 (Cool).
A bit cooler or same, then Neutral.
About the same, Warm.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check if there's a serial number on the head - or possibly inside near the head contacts. If there is one, drop a mail to 4sevens customer service: they will probably be able to tell you what led is in there.

Tab rad

Newly Enlightened
http://i.imgur.com/9ZouC.jpg

It looks more blue in the picture than it does in real life. I would say neutral .

Yeah, after taking off the lense cap there is a black spacer that is just press fit to protect the circuit slides right back in.

edpmis02

Enlightened
Did it come in a heavy ziplock style plastic bag or a rubberized cardboard box? the neutral and H-CRI come in reduced packaging.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://i.imgur.com/9ZouC.jpg
It looks more blue in the picture than it does in real life. I would say neutral .

It's hard to say from the pic for me but if you look at the picture in post #1 comparing the neutral and cool white beams of Quarks CR123-2 I'd say yours is more likely to be a cool white: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?196497-Neutral-White-Quarks-Available-for-Pre-order!-Limited-run!

EDIT: also check this thread with comparison beamshots of Quark AA neutral white and cool white: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...tral-White-4Sevens-Quark-AA-Comparison-Review

Last edited:

Tab rad

Newly Enlightened
Did it come in a heavy ziplock style plastic bag or a rubberized cardboard box? the neutral and H-CRI come in reduced packaging.

It did come in a heavy duty Corigated rubber box and thick plastic to hold the contents.

I believe it is more cool than neutral than.. But not blue. Some might say "blue compared to neutral"

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
xpg_xpe_xpc_diecompare.jpg

Count the number of 'boxes' on the LED die.
The XP-C have 2;
the XP-E have 3;
the XP-G have 4;
the XM-L have 5.

If you bought from the cooperative that sells equipment to mountaineers, I think they still have old stock from their original allotment of cool XP-G. Quarks are expensive and Canucks tend to be skinflints (unless they are buying houses in Vancouver or Toronto). The more knowledgeable who are willing to pay the higher prices know Quarks have a dedicated Canadian distributor.
The neutral XM-L come in green packaging (a heavy duty Zip-Lok bag) so you definitely do not have that.
Maybe R5 means something naughty in French - The R5 in the English part is not covered up. Or they made a typo at the factory (my 47s lights that come in boxes do not have French, only English).

Last edited:

Tab rad

Newly Enlightened
xpg_xpe_xpc_diecompare.jpg

Count the number of 'boxes' on the LED die.
The XP-C have 2;
the XP-E have 3;
the XP-G have 4;
the XM-L have 5.

If you bought from the cooperative that sells equipment to mountaineers, I think they still have old stock from their original allotment of cool XP-G. Quarks are expensive and Canucks tend to be skinflints (unless they are buying houses in Vancouver or Toronto). The more knowledgeable who are willing to pay the higher prices know Quarks have a dedicated Canadian distributor.
The neutral XM-L come in green packaging (a heavy duty Zip-Lok bag) so you definitely do not have that.
Maybe R5 means something naughty in French - The R5 in the English part is not covered up. Or they made a typo at the factory (my 47s lights that come in boxes do not have French, only English).

1. There are 4 boxes in the LED
2. The R5 logos shown were exposed by myself.
3. Generalizing Canadians are "skinflints" gives an ignorant impression.

Thankyou for all your help, I appreciate the positive input to help decipher this query..

P.S. Canadians arrent "skinflints". Only "skinflints", are "skinflints".