E1L Head Question

28gauge

Newly Enlightened
Thinking about a Malkoff VLM head plus lamp for my Surefire E1L. My questions are these. Is the stock E1L LED KX1 head one piece or two piece. Does it come appart at the lower ring to remove the lamp? it does not seep to unscrew there. Since this head is dual output and the Malkoff m31's single, can I use my stock Surefire tail cap switch?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thinking about a Malkoff VLM head plus lamp for my Surefire E1L. My questions are these. Is the stock E1L LED KX1 head one piece or two piece. Does it come appart at the lower ring to remove the lamp? it does not seep to unscrew there. Since this head is dual output and the Malkoff m31's single, can I use my stock Surefire tail cap switch?

The VME bezel (for the Malkoff M31 drop-in), replaces the entire KX1.

The KX1 unit has thread-locker on it and is not normally intended to be taken apart .... It contains an LED, not an incandescent lamp.

The electronics (driver) of the E1L is in the KX1, so you can use the stock clicky tailcap (Z57/Z61) with the VME/M31, but you will only get one output level.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i believe the KX1 head is made up of 3 main pieces. you are able to access the LED once you get the bezel off. (not an easy task w/o the proper tools).
and to access the driver, another piece must be unscrewed. im no expert, but i think its easier if you completely took apart the head if you intend to do any mods on it.

if you no longer want your KX1 head, i would be interested in it. :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
The E1L is formed from three components:
TailCap
Body
Bezel
The bezel and TailCap screw onto the body.

The bezel is constructed from two parts that are wet-sealed (glued) together and that are not designed not intended to be disassembled.
The forward part of the bezel features the window and optical lens (aka TIR optic). The rear part of the bezel features the electronics and the LED. During assembly the two parts are screwed together which brings the optic towards the LED. Once the beam is 'focused' in the sweet spot for that particular combination of LED, optic and associated elements the wet-seal is allowed to set.
You'll notice there is a small gap between the two parts of the bezel - tolerance to allow for the best beam from each pairing.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The E1L is formed from three components:
TailCap
Body
Bezel
The bezel and TailCap screw onto the body.

The bezel is constructed from two parts that are wet-sealed (glued) together and that are not designed not intended to be disassembled.
The forward part of the bezel features the window and optical lens (aka TIR optic). The rear part of the bezel features the electronics and the LED. During assembly the two parts are screwed together which brings the optic towards the LED. Once the beam is 'focused' in the sweet spot for that particular combination of LED, optic and associated elements the wet-seal is allowed to set.
You'll notice there is a small gap between the two parts of the bezel - tolerance to allow for the best beam from each pairing.