Will a Malkoff MD3 fit in any of the inline Vltor Scout mounts?

cbpeck

Newly Enlightened
Hello ladies & gentlemen,

I've been a lurker for quite some time now, and this is my first post. I have a few Mini Maglites floating around with various drop in LEDs in them, but nothing very interesting by comparison to the stuff on here. Anyhow, I'm gonna jump in with both feet and order a Malkoff. Here's my plan & question:

I plan to order a Malkoff light (M61 in a MD2 head with High/Low switch on a MD3 body) and would like to know if it will fit in any of the in line Vltor Scout light mounts. Vltor offers three models, and according to the website the tolerances on these mounts are VERY tight.

I know that the offset Vltor mount is more forgiving, but I'm only interested in the inline mount for this application.

Does anybody know for sure whether or not the Malkoff MD3 body will fit in one of the inline Vltor Scout mounts? Alternately, does anybody have an MD3 body and a caliper accurate to the 1/1000th of an inch? If so, will you please measure your MD3 and post the precise diameter of the body? I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but for some reason it matters with these mounts.

Thanks in advance.

cbpeck

Newly Enlightened
I went ahead and placed my order for a Malkoff M61 in a MD2 head on a MD3 body with high/low switch. Gene was super helpful, as I'm sure you know.

Now I just need a mount for the times when the light is mounted on the shotgun. Here are the specs on the Vltor Scout Mount models I mentioned earlier:

E series: accepts lights .810-.826" in diameter
CK series: accepts lights 1.010-1.026" in diameter
G series: accepts lights 1.025-1.040" in diameter

The Vltor CK series is made for the 6P/9P, so it should work with the MD3. The funny thing is that SF says the 6P" is exctly 1" in diameter, so according to Vltor's tolerances, a 6P shouldn't fit in the Vltor CK mount that is made expressly for it. :confused:

Looks like I'm going to have to pony up the money & try it out.

dss_777

Enlightened
You're over-thinking this. I'm pretty sure VLTOR knows a thing or two about weapons and light mounts, and might have seen a 6P-sized light or two. ;)

Get the CK mount, and enjoy the Malkoff. Gene makes exceptional, hard-use products. :thumbsup:

cbpeck

Newly Enlightened
dss 777,

Thanks for the response. You're probably right. Initially I was spooked by Vltor's exacting numbers on their website, and when I called their CS line they reinforced those narrow parameters. I went ahead and ordered one each of the CK & G sized rings. If they both fit then I know someone who will gladly take one of them off my hands. If not, I'll send the wrong one back to Cheaperthandirt.

cbpeck

Newly Enlightened
Please let us know which ones fit.

Will do!

I received the Malkoff in the mail yesterday. Ordered on Thursday, shipped on Friday & delivered on Monday. It came surprisingly fast given how reasonable shipping charges were. I really don't know enough about flashlights to appreciate the Malkoff the way most people on this forum do, but I am happy to know that I have quality light that I can depend on. I hope to get one of the new Maglite Mag Tacs if/when they ever hit market...? After that I'll probably be out of the market, so to speak, for quite a while.

cbpeck

Newly Enlightened
Please let us know which ones fit.

I received the Vltor Scout mounts in the mail yesterday from Cheaperthandirt.com. I received both the CK series (for 69/9p) & the G series (for G2). Unfortunately, neither of them worked with the Malkoff MD3 body. Both mounts locked up snugly to the rail, but at that point the rings were still too loose. Of course, the CK was closer to fitting, but it was still too big.

I should have believed Vltor when they gave precise numbers, but since there are so many lights out there described as 1" that are actually a little larger (i.e. Surefire) or smaller I figured there'd be a good chance of it working out. I was wrong.

Back to the drawing board now. I'm eyeing the LaRue, but $$$.

Latest posts