Leaking C Cell trouble.

StrikerDown

Enlightened
I have an old Kel-lite 5-C flashlight from my days in my Law Enforcement back in tha late 70's.

When I tried to use it the other day it was dead. I pulled the tail and two batts slid out but the others were stuck... Pulled the head and the front two slid right out! the center one had leaked and was welded in. Tried pushing it out with a 3/4" rod and hammer with no luck. Before I chuck it up in the lathe and drill the cell I thought I would ask the experts for their advice in removal!

If this was a Mag I would chuck it in the trash, but this old friend lit up many a dark night on patrol and I don't want to lose it! Any help to minimize the damage getting out the cell is appreciated.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you got a long drill bit? Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection. Vinegar will work well to neutralize the basic alkaline goop once you get the bulky stuff out.

StrikerDown

Enlightened
I have a 1" that looks like it will reach with the extension. Was hoping to avoid the mess... drilling as a last resort. I might try soaking with vinegar and more tap tap. Thanks, I didn't think about vinegar.

Last edited: