Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue (SST90 LED) Reviewed

FlatlandBusa

Newly Enlightened
Please note, this is my first attempt at doing a review, at this time I do not have any means to measure light output, any other sugestions to improve would be appreciated...

Mods if I have this in the wrong forum please move it to the correct location.

Elektro Lumens is a custom/small run flashlight manufacturer.

Left to right AW 18650, Jet Beam M2S, Elektro Lumens ST90, Mag 3D
DSC00938.jpg

The Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue Extreme utilizes a SST 90 led.
DSC00948.jpg

A 4" faceted reflector protected by an acrylic lens gives approximately a 5 degree beam with a very even hotspot.
DSC00960.jpg

The user interface is two switches on the side of the body near the head, the forward switch activates low and the rearward switch is for high.
DSC00942.jpg

The dimensions are, head 4" diameter, body 2" diameter, length 12", the tail cap is 2 1/2" diameter.

The ST90 uses 4 botton top protected 18650 batteries in parallel.
DSC00943.jpg

View inside the body and the positive contact plate
DSC00952.jpg

Every seam on this light has an o-ring so moisture intrusion will not be a problem.
DSC00946.jpg

Quality knurling is present on the body between the switches and tail cap and on the head forward of the cooling fins.
The light is hard anodized inside and out and I could not find any flaws.
DSC00941.jpg

The only lettering on the light is on the tail cap and that is very good quality.
Loosening the tail cap locks this light out.
DSC00951.jpg

Weight balance tends to be heavy at the reflector end of this light but is not bothersome to me.
I wear a size XL glove and this light fits my hand well.

DSC00945.jpg

This light weighs 3.78 lbs with 4 AW 3100mah batteries installed.

Amp draw at the tail cap measured 8.85 on high and 1.24 on low using AW 3100mah batteries run for approx. 15 minutes after charging.

This light is direct drive so output drops off as the batteries discharge, I have grown to prefer this over my regulated lights that give very little warning of the batteries becoming depleted.

My example ran 1hr 45min. on high with AW 3100mah batteries, the light output was dimmer noticeably at the 50 minute mark and declined to be about equal to my M2S at 1hr 20min.

My over all impression of this flashlight is it's extremely well built (over built??). All the threads on my example are very well machined with a resonably tight class of fit. All o-rings fit very well. The switches feel like high quality parts.
I especially like being able to use my 18650's I have for other lights, and not having to buy a proprietary battery pack.

Elektro Lumens ST90 on a very light tan wall (I do not have a white wall in my entire house or garage)
DSC00957.jpg

Left hotspot is the Jet Beam M2S,, Right hotspot is the Elektro Lumens ST 90
DSC00958.jpg

Notes:

Botton top batteries are required in this light, however I used a 1.6mm x 6.35mm magnetic spacer on the positive contact each of my flattop AW's and have not had any issues.
DSC00949.jpg

The battery holder included with my ST90 would only discharge 3 batteries, Wayne designed a new style holder and had it to me within 1 week. It is my understanding that the upgraded holder will be included with all lights shipped from here on.
The updated style holder is pictured below.
DSC00944.jpg

I will try to find time to take some outdoor beam shots very soon...

Last edited:

FlatlandBusa

Newly Enlightened
Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue (SST90 LED)

Pics were taken with a cheap sony cyber-shot camera(I need a better camera(and a tripod)).
The white balance was set to daylight, the ISO was set to 400.

These pics appear much dimmer than what I saw.

Distances were taken with a laser range finder.

I used a Jet Beam M2S for reference pics.

In the first two pics the tree line is at 220 yards.
The camera is one foot below the flashlight.

Elektro Lumens ST90
DSC00974.jpg

Jet Beam M2S
DSC00972.jpg

In these pics the camera is immediately left of the flashlight.
The building is at 65 yards.

Elektro Lumens ST90
DSC00984.jpg

Jet Beam M2S
DSC00975.jpg

The tree line is at 425 yards.
The camera is one foot under the flashlight.

Elektro Lumens ST90
DSC00979-1.jpg

Jet Beam M2S
DSC00978.jpg

Last edited:

cccpull

Enlightened

Great pictures and a beast of a light! Looking forward to your outside shots.
If a Maglite could be used as a baton, this light can be used as a battering ram.:eek:

fishndad

Enlightened

i checked out there website where they had shots out 1000' over a canyon,
awesome!

Albert56

Newly Enlightened

I purchased one of these earlier this year and ended up returning it. I was rather underwhelmed. Perhaps I received a
bad unit, but it had no where near the ouput I expected and even with a careful cleaning of all contacts and 4 fresh 3100mah batteries, my Olight SR51 handily outthrew it. Also the head rattled and the light would sometimes not turn on. I didn't really like the thin plastic lens, either. Based on the current measurements I got (average 7-7.2 amps with fresh batteries), the led was a little underdriven (9 amps is optimal, I understand), but this should not have accounted for the overall low output and I was not in the market for an exchange. Wayne was quite responsive and I had no difficulty with my refund. I might try another of his offerings in the future, but the SST90 Search and Rescue didn't fit the bill for me.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the early run, clear anodized, units.

It has a slightly narrower bore, and barely fits 2600mah cells, 3100's won't fit at all.

I ended up putting a blob of solder on my batteries to provide a better +ve contact.

Both mine and another Black CNC run unit I've played with matches or outclassed an Olight SR90.

I'm quite happy with the high quality plastic lens - a 4" glass lens would be far too easily shattered.

A great light, and a good review :)

y6ymyny6.jpg