XM-L T6 at 100%

emmanhello

Newly Enlightened
I was trying to make my XM-L T6 work at 3amp, but I'm not even close...
When I connected a IMR-18650 battery directly to my led, it only draw 1.5amp (at 3.4volt) ....
Even with a 26650 or two in parallel I get same result, Why?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the voltage may be too low to run the l.e.d. at that current. Putting cells (batteries) in parallel doubles amperage, not voltage. I'm not saying to put both cells in series and run it directly, that would make the voltage too high. I think you need a boost circuit for one cell or a buck circuit or resistor for two cells to get the right voltage. L.e.d.s have a voltage range they operate in. Too much voltage fries the l.e.d., too little doesn't light it up. Within that operating range, voltage determines how much current it will use. At the low end, it will take less voltage and current and be dimmer. At the upper end, it will use the maximum amount of current and voltage the l.e.d. is rated for and be the brightest. Find out what voltage is required to run the l.e.d. at 3 amps and plan the circuitry accordingly.

emmanhello

Newly Enlightened
I think the voltage may be too low to run the l.e.d. at that current. Putting cells (batteries) in parallel doubles amperage, not voltage. I'm not saying to put both cells in series and run it directly, that would make the voltage too high. I think you need a boost circuit for one cell or a buck circuit or resistor for two cells to get the right voltage. L.e.d.s have a voltage range they operate in. Too much voltage fries the l.e.d., too little doesn't light it up. Within that operating range, voltage determines how much current it will use. At the low end, it will take less voltage and current and be dimmer. At the upper end, it will use the maximum amount of current and voltage the l.e.d. is rated for and be the brightest. Find out what voltage is required to run the l.e.d. at 3 amps and plan the circuitry accordingly.

capturennb.jpg

I'm supposed the get 3000mA At 3.35v
You are right, I have 3v at the led when connecting it to 3x 18650 in parrallel... But they are fully charged and give 4.2.v, maybe they're bad batteries?
I'll try to connect 2 in series with a resistor

Last edited:

Freeze_XJ

Newly Enlightened
Would be interesting to know which batteries you have then, but I'd say even ordinary DX-crap should be able to deliver 3A, if only for a minute. Do note that the 4.2V is with open terminals, as soon as you apply load it will drop (0.3V or so would be expected).

emmanhello

Newly Enlightened
I have 3x 18650 ultrafire ''crap'' rated 3800mAh and 2x 26650 Keygos
I tried connecting the 26650 battery directly to the led, then 3x 18650 in parallel and 3x C batteries in series, but I always have 3 volt (measured at the led) and no more than 1200mA...

Last edited:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these led's heatsinked? They need to be before doing these tests or you could damage the led rather quickly. But are your batteries fully charged?

Also one thing what kind of multimeter are you using? Often times cheap multimeters will themselves limit your current. They have such thin wire in the leads. I replaced my leads with quality ones I made out of banana plugs and thick 14 gauge wire each less than a foot long to minimize resistance. My flashlights I previously thought were pulling only 2.5 amps turned out to be drawing almost 3.5 amps when measured with better leads.

emmanhello

Newly Enlightened
Problem solved. It was crappy battery/discharged battery/crappy DMM....
An xm-l t6 can draw 4200mA directly connected to a 26650 battery..... wow. no it didn't burnt.
thank you!!!!

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They can draw well more than that. When connected to a fully charged IMR 18650 or a high powered lipo cell, the ultra low resistance and high burst current these are capable of will force upwards of 9 amps, that is unless you instaflash the led before you're even able to take a reading.