RIP Carroll Shelby

StarHalo

Flashaholic
"I don't think you can put a plaque on the dash saying, 'only to be driven by a competent driver.'"

hrdp110219olegendarypho.jpg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I met Carroll at Road America about 5 years ago
man, was he a trailblazer!!!

^ I look at this everyday, about 10 feet from where I type this...

RIP Carroll,....glad someone had the stones to stand toe to toe w/ one Mr. Enzo Ferrari

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The man had an automotive and racing history unknown to the vast majority of Americans yet the automobiles (not just "cars") he had his hands in or on are icons.

He overcame childhood health problems (he eventually had a heart transplant) to be a racer and car constructor.

His race automobiles were winners and are highly prized collector items (Boy, is that putting it mildly!).

His production vehicles were not always successful but they always were interesting.

He sponsored a wonderful childrens charity.

Made a pretty fair chili fixin's kit too.

One of the good guys for sure.

Sad day for race fans.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Velocity channel is having a 3-part series called Carroll Shelby: King of the Road premiering Sunday night.
Velocity is of the Discovery Channel group, so it should be excellent.

^^^^ I shot this photo of the uber rare Shelby GT500 KR @ R.A. couple years ago.
You can now easily put another zero on the end of its value.

KR stands for 'King of the Road'.....

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am only hearing about the passing of Carroll Shelby right now thanks to the forum. My father lived in Georgia and Florida during the 70's and would frequently talk about the Shelby Mustang (which a close friend of his had) along with other muscle and pony cars of that time.

I always admired how he picked an anemic AC Ace and gave it serious kick with a potent V8 making a legendary vehicle in the AC Cobra. :thumbsup: That's how to do it right.

RIP