Zebralight switch improvement?

Streak

Enlightened
My current EDC is the SC51.
In many ways it's the perfect EDC except for one, the sensitive side switch.

I have become accustomed to giving the tail cap a half turn before pocketing the light but now and again I forget and end up with a burning leg or flat battery when I am least expecting it.

I bought these lights in January 2011. Have there been any modifications by Zebralight since then to prevent the switch coming on in your pocket?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newer Zebralights such as the SC80 and SC600 solved this problem completely. Their switches are much stiffer, smaller and more deeply recessed. There's virtually no chance they'll turn on in your pocket and tailcap lockout isn't necessary.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights that have come out since the SC51 (the SC600 and SC80) both have improved switches. They are harder to press and recessed further into the body of the light. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a direct replacement for the SC51. The new H502 model is up for presale on the ZL site and it does have an improved switch, but it is an angle light and it's designed for pure flood.

If you would be willing to carry something slightly larger than the SC51, the SC80 might be a good candidate. It will run on either a CR123a or AA cell.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

tonkem

Enlightened
I remember seeing in a thread on Zebralights that the manufactured had said they were going to update the sc51 to the new switch, but since I have been waiting for the Q50, it is anybody's guess when they will release the new sc51 :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen some pix of people that have epoxied an o-ring around the switch to make it effectively deeper and less prone to accidental activation.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing in a thread on Zebralights that the manufactured had said they were going to update the sc51 to the new switch, but since I have been waiting for the Q50, it is anybody's guess when they will release the new sc51 :)

I'd jump right on an SC51 with the new switch and neutral emitter.:hitit:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen some pix of people that have epoxied an o-ring around the switch to make it effectively deeper and less prone to accidental activation.
That was me.

dsc01309e.jpg

Here is a link to my post in that thread.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...tion-problem&p=3704956&viewfull=1#post3704956

gvmelbrty

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping for a switch upgrade to the SC51 as well. I contacted Zebralight and the answer was they were busy working on other projects (stuff I'll probably want), but that yes, there will be a newer version of the SC51 later this year (two-three months from now). So with the usual delays added in, hopefully before Fall this year (2012).

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I was hoping for a switch upgrade to the SC51 as well. I contacted Zebralight and the answer was they were busy working on other projects (stuff I'll probably want), but that yes, there will be a newer version of the SC51 later this year (two-three months from now). So with the usual delays added in, hopefully before Fall this year (2012).
Thanks for the info!

While the SC51w doesn't go as low as I'd like, it is one of my favorite lights for people who have the mental clarity to negotiate the UI.