When torches are shipped...(and a few other Q's!)

Dan W

Newly Enlightened
Is it common for the flashlight to have batteries in it? Just seems odd as most electrical devices usually don't (to prevent drain etc)?

I've just had a rushed discovery of 'proper' flashlights, and chose the Fenix TK41 owing as it's a rechargeable AA (which have cheap and reliable Eneloops), though feel a bit, well, underwhelmed with the light. Could it be due to the batteries that are currently in it (Duracell Procell).

How would I know if I had a 'duff' torch?

I previously owned a LL P7 and whilst I'm definitely missing the adjustable throw, I was expecting to be more 'blown away'. Don't get me wrong, I'd never go back to LL, tho that's only for the lack of use of eneloop rechargeable batteries in a Led Lenser.

I had my choice narrowed down to a TK41 vs a Nitecore TM11, and I went with the TK11 as I could get the light plus charger, plus 5 run-times worth of Eneloops for £200 (I'm in the UK), whereas I priced up a TM11 with 2 sets of AA's or Eagletecs for £300 minimum, which is a lot to carry around in your hand and lose or break!

Owing that I can still return the TK41, would I be wise to get the TM11? Or are there any other alternatives I should look at (appreciate this is venturing into the "Recommend me a flashlight territory, though thought I'd keep it in one place!)

ragweed

Enlightened
I really feel sorry for you Brits..! That's 400.00 & 600.00 bucks American..!! That's a very steep price to pay for any light IMHO.

Somnophore

Newly Enlightened
You should see how much we pay for gasoline, and we can't Own handguns, or any gun without massive state interference and licencing.

Dan W

Newly Enlightened
I really feel sorry for you Brits..! That's 400.00 & 600.00 bucks American..!! That's a very steep price to pay for any light IMHO.

I'd call it more like 300 and 450 (still not cheap of course!), and that's with charger and batt's etc.

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
So tk41, tm11 or tk11 I am a bit confused.

Tk 11 is a pretty old ca. 200 lumen light, but it is a cr123 light.

Maybe you could try a TK35 with rechargeables?

Dan W

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, TK11 is a misspell of TK41 in the OP - please disregard the mention of it (should read "I went with the TK41...")

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Have you tried using a different set of batteries? Have you verified that the light is on turbo mode, and not low? Do you notice any differences between the light modes?

Dan W

Newly Enlightened
Tried another set of batteries, and to my shame, outdoors, and then got the full WOW factor (and even that was in a lit urban well lit environment).

However it wasn't til I bought the diffuser that it really came into it's own. It's like having a 60w lightbulb on hand, perfect for garage missions (that has no lighting) and all short range illumination (I'll never miss a guy rope at a festival again!)

IMO the only way it could be improved is with the option of an alternate head that gave a full flood, but other than that very impressive!