When it is appropriate to empty your wallet...

Stainz

Enlightened
I was perusing my local owned outdoors pusher's wares when I noted a half-off sale at the knife counter. While there, I noted a stack of S-F boxes - all different secondary color A2L Aviators marked $199, a great price in itself. I had to ask - yes, just for the day - they were $99! I picked out an unopened 'Model A2L HA RD' - and nearly emptied my wallet, but couldn't find my CC. I did have some cash - for a change - (I had to take Mrs. Stainz to a Mex lunch... glad she wasn't real hungry!), but came up with $107.91 (s/t inc) for the knife. Barely enough was left for lunch's tip. You have to take advantage of 'such a deal' when it arises. My son, supposedly who I had bought it for, is a commercial pilot - and afterwards told me he didn't need it. Darn, I had to keep it. Don't you hate that?

What I got was a 113 Lumen white LED light running on two CR123's (included) with a cooler, dimmer, and smaller center spot than my 6PX Pro or my early E2D LED. It is a teeny bit brighter than my early E1b, and again, has a larger spill and cooler color. At close distances, 4 ft or less, the ring of red light can be seen around the spot on the Aviator, as the red LEDs are on with the white when white is selected. Turning the tailcap CW turns on first the four red LEDs around the white LED and, with further CW turning, the white LED joins it. The momentary contact push button on the tailcalcap can select, upon barely pushing, the red LEDs only. Further pressing will select the white LED, too. Sadly, continuously on requires that CW turning of the tailcap would be needed - first for the red only and further turning selecting the white as well. If you stop at red, the push button can be pushed (or bumped) to turn the white LED on (momentarily) - good or bad there, you decide. It will not tailstand, but does include a lanyard attaching ring and a lens down pocket/belt clip. Included in the box was a poly bagged neck lanyard and clip - no thanks - YMMV. The flashlight is hard anodized - and a satin OD-ish color rather than the usual black. I was glad I had some money to 'waste'... this fills no niche - but it is neat and a keeper. My single S-F Fury will have to wait a while longer to get a sibling. I guess the moral is simple - be prepared!

Stainz

PS I got home to find my CC - in my wallet & behind my driver's license. I thought I had left it home! Vanity...I like having it 'paid off'. Still, I could have had other colors, too...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

You know the price dropped on SF's because they are not worth as much anymore, right?

utlgoa

Enlightened
It is appropriate to empty you wallet as long as you are aware that next month there will be a better, brighter, and less expensive flashlight being introduced on the market.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great catch. I paid more than double for that light when it first came out. I love it.
It doesn't see as much use as it should.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, If I saw a A2L red for $100 I'd have gone for it too. Unfortunately my local dealer has A2L on for $239.95 :eek:oo: I'll buy a Streamlight twin task before I pay that :D

I think you made the right call :grin2:

Last edited: