Current brightest "real world" 18650 light? Needed for specific job.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
For the past 9 years I've been working primarily indoors at my job. I mainly used my light to get the attention of "residents" that may be in the process of doing something that my job dictates I need to stop.

Starting this coming Sunday, I start a new job (FINALLY) that will place me outside of these dorms and have me during security sweeps. Part of this job will require me to check for contraband that may have been thrown over a fence or placed by work crews.

In particular, I have an area the size of a full size running track that I have to inspect very well and it is littered with scrap wood and saw mill equipment. My current light is a 4Sevens Maelstrom G5. It does the job but I'd like something brighter that puts out a larger "wall" of light. I still want throw, I just need a bigger area of light. My biggest problem is that I have a relatively small window of time to do this sweep as its in an area that removes me from being able to respond quickly to emergencies. This is the reason I'd like to have a brighter light that also lights up a larger area so I'm able to scan more area in less time.

The reason for the "real world" in the title is because I don't want to buy anything special to do this. I already have 18650s ranging from old beater Tenergy cells to the new 3100 Eagletacs. I'd like something that will run well with the Eagletacs.

I've got brighter lights but they are too large to bring inside the fence or to haul around for my regular 12 hour shift as I need something that will go on my duty belt. I looked into a light (can't remember the name at moment) that was stated as putting out 700 lumens while being the same size as my Maelstrom. Problem was, as I researched it, I found it required an extension tube and a second 18650 to get that.

Heat shouldn't be a problem. The longest the light will run at one time will be 10 minutes MAX. More realistically it will be run for 20 to 30 seconds at a time with about the same amount of time in between as I walk in and out of the areas I need to be scanning.

So, help me out. Am I already equipped with the best I can wrangle up or is there something better?

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC600. Not really throwy, but it has a wide beam angle and should illuminate objects within 140 meters in total darkness. Only runs on 18650.

Or, if you want to try something more extreme, you can get a light that will do ~2,000 lumens. This will require a rather significant investment in both time and money, however.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like your G5, you might consider another of FourSevens' Maelstrom lights, the MM-X. It is very similar to the the G5 but it uses a newer (brighter) XM-L LED. The new LED is also larger so in a similar sized head, it will have a much larger hotspot and more spill bringing you closer to the "wall of light" you're after.

Another light to consider might be the Zebralight SC600. It also uses the XM-L and produces a wall of light. It's quite small and shouldn't weigh you down on your long shift. It also has a side click switch so it might be more comfortable to hold and operate for long periods. It will produce 750 lumens for the first 5 minutes before dropping to 500 lumens. If you turn it off and back on at that point, it will make 750 lumens for another 5 minutes.

You may also consider the Thrunite Scorpion.

I'm sure there are other options as well. Perhaps some other members can add to my list.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Kevinkw1

Newly Enlightened
Was just reading a review on a nitecore tm11, tiny monster! 2000 lumens on 4 x 18650, the size of a soft drink can! Will definitely fit on your duty belt! Expensive but, around 250, but geez there is some light coming out of that lil beast!

spc smith

Enlightened
Birdofprey,

I currently edc the klarus XT11 @t right around 600 OTF ANSI rated lumens using an 2600 mah ultrafire 18650 battery with no extension. It floods and throws quite well plain stock out of the box. Can it be brighter and then again brighter still? YES.. but by itself its quite adequate in size, performance ie flood and throw. With disposable CR123's, your getting 700 selfbuilt lumens lol. And rcr123's (shorter runtimes and not recommended by klarus) 750 OTF lumens. I personally use 18650's because of prolonged runtime and rechargeability. Lol..

The best part of this XT11 is its stellar tactical UI. Hands down with no regret the best I've seen or read about on any light I've researched or owned in the past! I would strongly if possible coerce you to the darkside of klarus lol. As far as overall qaulity, fit and finish, design and anodizing?.. 5 star on mine with a perfectly centered emitter and strong pocket clip. Beam quality from spot to flood is flawless whether up close ie wall hunting and for sure distance. The color rendering is not incan defining, but still very well for a cool white xml u2. You speak of needing a light that floods?.. this XT11 floods VERY well with an Orange peel reflector and right size head to create enough light concentrated from spot to flood. There are many others out there, but for the actual capability of use this light wins hands down. Especially its defining characteristic... The dual switch UI.

SPC smith

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Fenix TK35 on order which will probably arrive tomorrow. It sounds like it's in the same class as what you're looking for. It uses two 18650s side by side and looks reasonably small and, when I ordered it, about 6 days ago, the specs said it would put out 820 lumens.

I just now looked at the Fenix-Store web site and the listing says it has just been upgraded and now will put out 860 lumens. I suppose I'll get the old version.:mad:

Vman63

Newly Enlightened
I have a job like that too! :) My Sunwayman T20CS works pretty good also.

scout24

Flashaholic
Electrolumens EDC XM-L or MC-E... Single level stone simple 18650 light, very reasonable. $99.00 IIRC. Subforum over in the Marketplace with links to his website. Made in Oregon, look nearly indestructable. Momentary/ twisty tailcap. Maybe a P60 dropin from Nailbender, Vinh, or one of our talented builders, made to your specs and a Solarforce 18650 host if you're partial to clickies. Depending on dropin, you'd have 2x123 flexibility as well...

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Birdofprey,

I currently edc the klarus XT11 @t right around 600 OTF ANSI rated lumens using an 2600 mah ultrafire 18650 battery with no extension.
550lm at startup and 370lm after 3 minutes. Far away from the brightest 18650 flashlight.

Question to OP - are you looking for 1x18650 flashlight only?

LGT

Enlightened
I would also go with the ZL sc600. If you're walking around looking for "contraband", then this floody light would fit your needs. And while it's not a thrower, the output on high will illuminate to a pretty good distance. Just my opinion, but how well will you be able to spot stuff from the distance a thrower will illuminate?

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened
Imho, you should consider the 750 Lumen Zebralight SC600 for smallest/lightest with one 18650 and the slightly larger 820 Lumen Fenix TK35 which holds two 18650's. (but, the TK35 review I just skimmed only reported run-times similar to the SC600?..) Also, the 750 Lumen Scorpion V2 with turbo-head might give you a little more throw, if you really want that, but, otherwise, all of these lights are in the same Lumen league and I doubt that you would notice any difference in brightness between them, unless they were side-by-side.

So, the bottom-line for me regarded size/carry issues and I choose the SC600 for my EDC. Please study CPF reviews of these individual lights and any others you may consider before pulling the trigger. :whistle:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Fenix TK35 is $120 and 860 lumens. Runs on two 18650's and would fit on a belt better than the TM11
I like the Zebralight SC600 Alot!!!!
The Sunwayman V60C would also be a great choice ;)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
For that job description, the SC600 would not have the range, and while its a great light, there are other lights that might mean not having to carry 2 light to to one 30 second inspection.

The Klarus XT11 using 2 RCR123's would probably work, but requires getting RCR123's, and you HAVE 18650's. It works great on 18650's, but, I think for the far end of that sized area, with that type of debris and trying to look through a fence, etc...I think it would fall short...the setup is borderline for this application.

The tiny monster would work, but its pretty expensive. For the $, I'd do a Jetbeam RRT 3 XML over the TM11 though in this scenario.

The Xtar S1 would actually be pretty killer in this role, as potentially would the Thrunight TN30.

A budget solution would be the DRY 3 XML Turbo.

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also the extreme option of getting a P60 host, such as 6P, C2 or Z2, have it bored out for 18650, attach a Cryos or Fivemega cooling head, and then stick a VanIsleDSM or kenji quad-XP-G drop-in with copper taping.

Such setup will get you anywhere from 1,200 to 2,000 lumens using a single 18650.

It's guaranteed to freak anyone out.

rasnum

Newly Enlightened
DarkSucks Alpha, makes 500 lumens easy. It's tough, beautiful, custom, and available.

cyclesport

Enlightened
Birdofprey,

I currently edc the klarus XT11 @t right around 600 OTF ANSI rated lumens using an 2600 mah ultrafire 18650 battery with no extension. It floods and throws quite well plain stock out of the box. Can it be brighter and then again brighter still? YES.. but by itself its quite adequate in size, performance ie flood and throw. With disposable CR123's, your getting 700 selfbuilt lumens lol. And rcr123's (shorter runtimes and not recommended by klarus) 750 OTF lumens. I personally use 18650's because of prolonged runtime and rechargeability. Lol..

The best part of this XT11 is its stellar tactical UI. Hands down with no regret the best I've seen or read about on any light I've researched or owned in the past! I would strongly if possible coerce you to the darkside of klarus lol. As far as overall qaulity, fit and finish, design and anodizing?.. 5 star on mine with a perfectly centered emitter and strong pocket clip. Beam quality from spot to flood is flawless whether up close ie wall hunting and for sure distance. The color rendering is not incan defining, but still very well for a cool white xml u2. You speak of needing a light that floods?.. this XT11 floods VERY well with an Orange peel reflector and right size head to create enough light concentrated from spot to flood. There are many others out there, but for the actual capability of use this light wins hands down. Especially its defining characteristic... The dual switch UI.

SPC smith

+1 on the XT11...LEO's/soldiers seem to like the good balance between flood and throw and rugged construction (weapon mounting)...and fits your budget.

Dillo0

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy with my TM11. While the SC600 is quite bright, it only stays in turbo for 5 minutes and the runtime is limited at that brightness. It's quite good though for just stashing away in your pocket when you are done. It's quite small. The TM11 gives runtime and brightness in a small package. The RRT-3 is also a good choice.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Crelant 7G5v2, will throw well and allow you to see distance. It also has a decent amount of spill. Runs on 2X 18650 and runs around 850 lumens.

You can identify objects beyond 300 yards. second lower mode will work for closer distances