**NEW** Fenix TK35 updated ver. (XM-L U2, 860lm)

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
pictures :sssh:

15465599_a2ca60a3980f465aa0ab1316058ae364_l.jpg

15472241_03e96187cd90796bf80844d311f8c8ce_l.jpg

15472245_d40e9b8ff80dabe7112b851ad4eeda5c_l.jpg

15472253_ccf703e5117dd427eac4c6824ecb9a5b_l.jpg

15465627_851f1bef6ecc186b41c138ac66c8f223_l.jpg

15465625_3a89e2eb1b4d182cae253580a372c718_l.jpg

15465601_ebd6db4a3b3f4592bc23d7d589fd8e5f_l.jpg

Last edited:

BringerOfLight

Newly Enlightened
What are the voltage levels for the downshift / overdischarge protection?

If they use the same level as the TK21, I would consider the update a downgrade...

kj2

Flashaholic
Nice to see that Fenix updates this version :) to bad though, that the upgrade isn't much. 40lumens more, 7meters throw more, and 1261cd more.
Over-discharge protection is nice :) should have been there on day one of the TK35.

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting the new Fenix specs. I have a TK35 coming in the mail right now and will be frustrated if it turns out to be the old version (probably will). The over discharge protection is an important feature that I'd like to have, now that it's available.

I'm still searching through the forum trying to learn if the new XM-L, U2 version, has any advantage over the XM-L (T6) that they had been using. If anybody knows any details about the U2, please post. I'm going to search through more threads to see if I can find any more info on the U2 and I may start a separate thread if asking about it if I don't find any answers already posted.

Thanks again, gopajti.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Typically it is nearly impossible to tell the difference in brightness between a T6 and a U2 with the naked eye.

I have done "ceiling bounce tests" with both emitters used with exactly the same optics/drivers/cell-configurations and I can't tell the difference. Only a light-meter can.

I wouldn't really call this much of an upgrade if nothing else about the TK35 has changed.
IMO Fenix should have addressed the rattle in the switch and tried to refrain from sealing the head with epoxy - these are the 2 issues that I didn't like about my TK35. I had absolutely no problem with the output though, that was impressive.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it still throttle down from turbo to high after a fixed time?

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
I had the older version TK35. And it too was rated at around 340 meters for throw. Well I'm here to tell you it's not even a 200yd thrower. I traded mine back in to the guy I bought it from for a Sunwayman T40CS. I don't miss it one bit. I like the shape of the TK35, but it's definately not a thrower regardless of anyone who tries to tell you different. But it is a very nice up close light and very useful out to say 100 and maybe 150yds.

Last edited:

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
Typically it is nearly impossible to tell the difference in brightness between a T6 and a U2 with the naked eye.

I have done "ceiling bounce tests" with both emitters used with exactly the same optics/drivers/cell-configurations and I can't tell the difference. Only a light-meter can.

I wouldn't really call this much of an upgrade if nothing else about the TK35 has changed.
IMO Fenix should have addressed the rattle in the switch and tried to refrain from sealing the head with epoxy - these are the 2 issues that I didn't like about my TK35. I had absolutely no problem with the output though, that was impressive.
Yes, I wouldn't expect to be able to see any difference between 820 and 860 lumens with the naked eye. The way our eyes perceive brightness, that increase would be negligible. I was more wondering about the quality of the light; if there was much difference in color temperature or CRI.

After going through many pages of threads in the LED forum, I found a link to a Cree spec sheet for the XM-L family and can see that both the T6 and the U2 are closely related, both at the high end of the color temp scale--5000 to 8300 Kelvin--with probably little choice in what has been placed into any individual flashlight. It looks like the only difference is that the U2 puts out just a little more light at a given current but not enough for an eyeball to tell the difference.

My TK35 arrived about an hour ago and it is the older 820 lumen version. I haven't opened the packaging yet. I'm going to think about it for a while to decide whether or not to return it. My greatest concern now is that the new model has an over discharge protection that I don''t think the earlier model has. That's important to me. I like to baby my batteries.

Decisions, decisions.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really tempted with the slight upgraded TK35. A compact torch with smaller dimensions than my Eagletac M3C4 XM-L. I can accept that it isn't a good thrower, I just hope they got rid of the step down when running on Turbo mode.

lwknight

Enlightened
All I can say is that the XML-U2 in my crelant is a lot more pleasing color than the
greenish color of my TK-60 and TK-41. I would guess that the OLD TK-35 has the same greenish
XML as the brothers.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
All I can say is that the XML-U2 in my crelant is a lot more pleasing color than the
greenish color of my TK-60 and TK-41. I would guess that the OLD TK-35 has the same greenish
XML as the brothers.

T6 and U2 denote output, not tint.
Its just as easy to pick up a greenish U2 as it is a greenish T6.
Fenix don't seem to filter out the more obvious tints as much as other manufacturers. (according to quite a few threads that I've read)
This may also correlate with the more affordable price of TK35 which doesn't justify hand-picking emitters for their tints.

Stol3n

Newly Enlightened
Taken from another site.

NEW MODEL: 860 Lumens, with the latest Cree XM-L(U2) LED with a 340 meter long-throwing beam.

Fenix TK35 is a convenient extremely high intensity multifunctional flashlight. Using the Cree XM-L(U2) LED, it can deliver a significantly high output. Offering 4 brightness levels, strobe and hidden functions, it can be powered by the frost-resistant CR123A lithium batteries or large-capacity 18650 rechargeable Li-ion batteries. with the unique batteries holder and the dual switch in the tail cap, the TK35 shows great power in various outdoor activities, such as exploring, camping, searching, caving, etc.

Uses XM-L (U2) LED, max 860-lumen output Powered by 4 CR123A or 2 18650 rechargeable batteries 4 brightness levels and 2 flashlight modes, dual switch in the tail cap Low-voltage warning function Digitally-regulated output (maintains constant brightness) Reverse polarity protection to protect from improper battery installation Low-voltage warning function to remind users of low power Toughened ultr-clear glass lens with anti-reflective finish Intelligent memory circuit which automatically memorizes the brightness level when turned off Over discharge protection circuit protects the batteries effectively Patented battery holder made of PC quality material - wear resistant and shock resistant Max 340 meter long-throwing beam Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum, premium Type III hard-anodized finish, scratch resistant and wear resistant Waterproof to IPX-9 standard 165mm (length) x 44mm (diameter) x 52mm (head) 275 gram weight (excluding batteries)

Notice: The above-mentioned parameters (tested in lab using quality CR123A primary lithium batteries are approximate and may vary between flashlights, batteries, and environments. TK35 will automatically enter into the high brightness level from the turbo brightness level after a 25-minute working time with the security setting. So the runtime of the turbo brightness level is the accumulated time.

BringerOfLight

Newly Enlightened
I had the older version TK35. And it too was rated at around 340 meters for throw. Well I'm here to tell you it's not even a 200yd thrower. I traded mine back in to the guy I bought it from for a Sunwayman T40CS. I don't miss it one bit. I like the shape of the TK35, but it's definately not a thrower regardless of anyone who tries to tell you different. But it is a very nice up close light and very useful out to say 100 and maybe 150yds.
There seems to be a substantial amount of sample variation with the TK35. E.g. selfbuilt measured 20000cd hotspot intensity. Mine comes in at 36000cd (my reflector looks a lot smoother than selfbuilt's, mine doesn't have any of the texture that's visible on his).

In terms of the throw range, you have to keep in mind that it's calculated based on the ANSI standard (which I would consider rather removed from reality). The 0.25lux @ 340 meters isn't enough to really see anything.

I wouldn't want more throw than the TK35, since the tradeoff is a smaller hotspot.

easilyled

Flashaholic
There seems to be a substantial amount of sample variation with the TK35. E.g. selfbuilt measured 20000cd hotspot intensity. Mine comes in at 36000cd

Bear in mind that there would probably be quite a substantial amount of variation in the readings taken from different people for the same light.

Lightmeters calibrated differently, different techniques with regard to the number of meters the reading is taken from and the back calculation. etc.

Its therefore more meaningful to compare lux for different lights that have been derived by the same person as it removes the user variation from being a factor.

Last edited:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Nice find gopajti. I definitely like the small ergonomic upgrades they did. It's the little things that make all the difference towards liking a light and loving a light. Shock isolate the battery carrier and add some LOP and I think they have a solid, top of the line light. If only they would be more stringent with their tints... That's the one thing that kills the TK15 for me. I love everything about that light to death, except that damn green tint.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Notice: The above-mentioned parameters (tested in lab using quality CR123A primary lithium batteries are approximate and may vary between flashlights, batteries, and environments. TK35 will automatically enter into the high brightness level from the turbo brightness level after a 25-minute working time with the security setting. So the runtime of the turbo brightness level is the accumulated time.

That's a little disappointing. A light that size with 1 XM-L could easily handle continuous running on turbo so long as you were holding it. Temperature based thermal throttling would be preferable to this.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
After going through many pages of threads in the LED forum, I found a link to a Cree spec sheet for the XM-L family and can see that both the T6 and the U2 are closely related, both at the high end of the color temp scale--5000 to 8300 Kelvin

T6 and U2 are brightness bins, not color bins. Here's the rundown:

Cree makes blue LEDs. These are covered with phosphor that turns some blue light into yellow-orange-red output. Broadly speaking, the more blue light that turns into yellow-orange-red, the 'warmer' the light will appear. This process isn't 100% efficient, though. So the warmer LEDs tend to have lower lumen outputs at the same drive level (Lower brightness bin). That is, the physical structure of LEDs means that warmer tints (and higher CRI) will be in lower tint bins. But the brightness bin doesn't determine the tint.

(That is, cats have four legs, but four legs doesn't make a thing a cat. The brightest LEDs are cooler in tint, but cool tint isn't the same thing as bright).

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping for an almost redesigned body since fenixoutfitters announced it in the MP, but, there's really no dramatic change for me to even shell out another $100 for a second TK35. A 40 lumen difference is noticeable under 200 lm, but not at 800+.
That's too bad, I really enjoy my TK35. Maybe next year.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Oh man ... I thought for a second it would be a neutral white variant. Too bad, because I would have bought one. I really like the Tk35 and it is my go-to light with a perfect balance of flood and throw, and wow it's darn compact for taking outside camping or whatever. That neutral white beam is all I'd want or consider an upgrade. And it's darn near impossible to get the head apart to upgrade the LED myself (worked well with the PD31 though :) )

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
isn't it more of a tint lottery when you're buying a U2 light of the same design as an alternative T6 bin?

i ask because I know the SC600 Zebralights have that tint lottery problem it seems