Do I have to mod something to get the Quark MiniX 123 to accept rechargeables?

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I just got my two rechargeable 16340s in and tried putting one into my MiniX. Its a no go. It fits down into the body (seems to be the exact same size as the Titanium CR123 I was using) but the head won't go down onto the threads. Not even a little bit.

Ideas? I know I read that people were using rechargeables in this light.

tolkaze

Enlightened
Definately not reccomended to use Li-Ion in the miniX, but not that they don't work. You may kill the LED, the Driver or vent the battery. Hasn't happened to me yet though.

The problem with a lot of 16340's is that they are longer than primaries (to accomodate the little circuit board on the positive end) You will have to try other cells to find ones that fit. I'm sure a search of posts will show up shorter 16340's, or someone will chime in. I currently use an IMR 16340 and it fits very well. On the other hand, my trustfires are wider (strip of metal down the side and an extra wrap of plastic) and are longer (circuit board and wonky construction) and they dont fit my light at all

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I don't have the mini - just a regular Quark X (was a AA^2, I'm running a 123 body) - it's rated .9-4.2V, so a rechargeable is okay.
May have to experiment with different button-top vs flat-top batteries.

However,
On the 4sevens site, on the Mini X 123, it says Battery: One lithium CR123A (3V) - do not use rechargeable RCR123As

I think those use the standard 3V driver - I wouldn't do it.
(The new foursevens site says the comparable Mini ML-X 123 has a .9-3V driver.)

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My MiniX fits AW RCR123s perfectly, but they are smaller than most 16340s..

I have had zero issues running li-ions in the MiniX of any kind. It uses the same circuit as the Mini 123 and Mini AAs have for ages with the only variation being the slightly lower average vf of the LED. That said my MiniX draws only 1.2A from a 4.2v RCR as opposed to the 1.4A my neutral Mini AA draws from a fully charged 14500. Therefore, with the more efficient emitter, slightly lower drive current and better heat dissipation (both the die and the light are bigger) of the MiniX over my Mini AA, which I have been regularly using for 2 years on a 14500, I have no qualms at all about running the MiniX on RCRs.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have beed using aw 16340 and aw imr 16340s in my mini x, no problems (other that heat buildup on max). Check if the spring coils on top of itself when it's fully compressed. I have had many minis, and i had to cut off ~ 1mm on the base of the spring on some of them to prevent them coiling on top of itself.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Nope, definately not new. Just new to RCR123s.

Ok, I bought two. Turns out that one of them fits, the other one will not drop down enough to allow the head to contact.

Must say, rather impressed with the brightness level. Makes the primaries look pretty weak in comparison.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Is the extra brightness worth voiding the 10 year warranty on that light?

In 10 years, this light will have become buried in the bottom of a drawer somewhere (as most of my 3 year and older lights currently are) while I use my newest and latest lights.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single cr123 cell costs 16,41$ here, it's worth it in several ways :) Rcr is way "greener", cheaper, and packs a bigger punch. I know i can get cheap cr123's from the interwebshop place. But i dont want to order batteries from china, transport them arount 1/2 the world, and then throw them away. And no need to carry spares when you know the rcr is freshly charged. I have used my mini-x for a long time now with rcr, I'm not worried at all about it going :poof: :)

Ok, I bought two. Turns out that one of them fits, the other one will not drop down enough to allow the head to contact.
Sounds like the spring is coiling on top of itself. Just fish it out, compress it and see how mutch you got to cut the spring before it can be totally flat when fully compressed.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
AW's will fit. xxxxFire protected don't fit well. XTAR don't fit at all.
To be safe, use a LiFePO4 alternative like Tenergy. Still packs about 500mAH (vs ~600mAH AW) @ .5A but safer.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

Absolutely positively 100% yes, worth it.

But that was so last year.

This year is the JetBeam RT-001.

Next year will be something else.

Also, check out the Olight i1, same light as MiniX.

But with room for RCR, a great clip, and 400+ lumens.