GPS battery explodes, torches car

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It honestly looks like a botched car bombing.

Thanks for the link to the article. Never been more happy to be a car enthusiast who dislikes electronic aids.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
pretty impressive pictures! Certainly adequate to motivate people to not follow in those footsteps. The only question is "what size was the battery?", or maybe what was the GPS device?

Are cell phones a significant risk? How about my little mp3 player? Seems like manufacturers might have to start adding warning labels to not leave the device out in the sun, sort of like 8 track and cassette tapes used to do.

Personally, I use a reflector gadget in my windshield when the car is parked on a sunny day. Sure helps keep the interior cooler and protects the interior too. A full sized parasol would be even better! :)

Steve K.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
pretty impressive pictures! Certainly adequate to motivate people to not follow in those footsteps. The only question is "what size was the battery?", or maybe what was the GPS device?

Are cell phones a significant risk? How about my little mp3 player? Seems like manufacturers might have to start adding warning labels to not leave the device out in the sun, sort of like 8 track and cassette tapes used to do.

Personally, I use a reflector gadget in my windshield when the car is parked on a sunny day. Sure helps keep the interior cooler and protects the interior too. A full sized parasol would be even better! :)

Steve K.

I think that any device with a lithium battery is a risk to some extent. The energy density in modern Li-Ons is so high and the electrolyte sheets are so thin that it only takes a little bit of swelling to cause a short between the layers, causing the battery to go into thermal runaway. This is the price that we pay for small batteries with large capacities.

I like the parasol idea. Press a button on the dashboard and it pops up and unfolds - click - foop! :)