stinger hp mod

mohr

Newly Enlightened
hi,
i just tried my 6v stinger hp mod with a magchargerbulb. its working great and it looks 2x brighter now. does anyone ever tried to use a WA 01160 bulb with 500 lumen in a 6v stinger hp mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. cpf members told me that the WA 01160 can be used in the magcharger so it must also fit the hp.
greetings from germany christian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested to know where you purchased the 6v rechargeable battery stick from? Was it of custom work? Also, where would one purchase that particular bulb WA 01160. I did a search on the "Net", got a few hit's but nothing promising.

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
mohr,

I have a question. Does the Magcharger bulb just drop right in to the Stinger HP? I don't have a Stinger HP so I can't try it myself.

If the Magcharger bulb drops right in, then the 1160 should also drop right in since they are both G4 bi-pin bulbs right?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6V Stinger was my baby...Do a search and you'll find the original post.

I never thought of using a Bi-pin Magcharger bulb...HHHmmmmm...

--dan

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Mohr, checkl what the heat is doing to the plastic in the Stinger head, where you install bulb. The Stinger HP bulb is mounted on a board, with the pin legs under board. I think the board is protecting the top of the flashlight from heat. Just a guess.

Bill

mohr

Newly Enlightened
hi,
the 6v batterystick is homemade. its made of 5x Sanyo RC 2/3 SC flight ( CP1300SCR ) 1,2 V, 1200 mAh. i charge it with my MH-C777Plus-II Charger but the normal Stinger Charger would work also (i tried this allready). the magchargerbulb fits in the hp head, you just have to press the two bulbfins a little and they will fit in the holes of the head. i did a couple of test runs with the battery and the bulb and there was no heatproblem. the hp reflector has a heatprotectionlip (the orange stuff around the hole for the bulb, i think it was made for bulb protection) thats doing a good job. the magcharger bulb is also much more smaller than the normal hp bulb and it has no direct contact (except of the fins) to the head. i run this mod also with the ultrastinger bulb (75000 cd) but the magcharger bulb seems to be a little brighter and has a better shapped hotspot (dont know how /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif). the runtime of the mod with magbulb is about 35-40min; with the ultrabulb its a little longer. i cant wait to get my WA 01160 bulbs from jtivat (cpf member). i will post my experience with the 500 lumen mod as soon as i get the bulbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mohr

Newly Enlightened
yo,
thanks to dano, he did a great job with that mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. i just used his mod and tried the magbulb because my ultrastingerbulbs hasnt arrived till that time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (newbie luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif) it worked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and now i am waiting for my 2x Wa 01160 bulbs to mod my magcharger and the stinger. maybe dano has such a bulb and can post his testings on the forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

mohr

Newly Enlightened
dano did you ever tried to replace the lens from a hp head.
i asked flashlightlens but he thinks the lens is snap in and there is no easy way to replace it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
mohr, sounds like you have a neat mod, like dano's. I live about 60 miles from Santa Rosa, California where there is a warranty station for Streamlight, called Markell, Inc. They also offer wholesale prices to the public. The orange ring is to keep the bulb in bettter alignment. They started using the rings with Stingers several years ago, and they carried it over to all of the Stinger series lights. I can imagine that the beam quality is good, particularly with the HP head having a nice fully textured reflector. With the HP head on the 3.6 volt Stingers the quality of the beam is not really good. I had an HP head, with Ultra bulb, on a Super Stinger, which has been discontinued, and the beam quality was excellent. The Super Stinger was stolen, and I replaced it with the new Ultra Stinger. I was disappointed, as the reflector was only 1/2 textured, and the beam was not as full and rounded, thought it did have a lot of throw. The HP head does not fit on the Ultra, different threads. I have been looking for a Super Stinger, used, but no luck.

Bill

mohr

Newly Enlightened
the orange ring must be made of heatresistance stuff because it so close to the bulb. it protects both the reflector and the bulb and works great with mods. i am thinking of a 6v stinger mod with a magchargerbulb and a ucl lens. flashlightlens did a stingerhead upgrade with a UCL lens and i think the reflector of the stinger is made of metal so it must work. just make the bulbhole in the reflector a little bigger but the magchargerbulb in and upgrade the head with a UCL lens
and you get a mini ultra stinger. ???? i need a stinger head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif. does anyone of you guys have one to sell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif.

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a cool mod! Keep in mind that the WA01160 draws 3.45A.

How much of the Stinger HP is made of plastic? I don't have one but I'm curious to see how it holds up to the heat.

I think I need to get myself an Stinger HP since I have some nice Welch-Allyn bulbs coming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mohr

Newly Enlightened
i think the battery will be the problem. its a 5 x 1200 mAh batterystick and i realy dont know if it can run the WA 01160 bulb. maybe some of the cpf members has more experience with homemade batterys and electronics and can tell us if it should work. my way of working is just by try and error. but it should work because the WA 01160 runs with the magcharger batterystick and the magchargerbulb runs with my homemade battery (mmmm maybe i am wrong, we will see). still dreaming of a 500 lumen stinger hp (and dont wanna wakeup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) but the other question is does a normal stinger works with the magchargerbulb. if yes thats a hell of a dutylight, small, rechargeable, cheap and over 170 lumen of light. NEED STINGER HEAD !!! where can i order just the head ???

mohr

Newly Enlightened
sproing
the hp head is made of aluminium and the reflector is made of metal (i think alu.) the lens is plastic and thats the big problem. flashlightlens said the lens is snapped in and can not be replaced by a UCL lens easy. but maybe the WA 01160 works in a standard stinger head. they are made of metal (incl. the reflector) and the lens can be replaced by a UCL.