Best AA/2AA Light?

Expired

Newly Enlightened
So I've been looking for a flashlight to pair up with a ZL H51Fw or H502w headlamp.
Going to be using these for everything pretty much, mainly backpacking/camping though.
Looking at lights with a bit of throw.

So far I have the Fenix LD22 and LD12 on the list. What else should I be looking at?
What are some of the best AA/2AA lights out there?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow - do you ever have a lot of choices. Price range? A ThruNite T10 is an awesome little light for very little money. A Jetbeam RRT0 or RRT01 with an AA adapter will give you a great deal of flexibility and lots of battery choices...

A Zebralight SC80 gives you AA or 123 compatibility with no external adapter...

But out of all of my lights, I find myself carrying the ThruNite T10 very often - it's so small and has 3 great levels of output.

Good luck! You have lots to choose from!

diesel79

Enlightened
Malkoff 2AA twisty with M31 Nichia 219 drop in would be my top choice. Only has one level of output, but it is a great light.

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac P100A2 with XP-E
Quark AA2 Turbo with XP-G
Dereelight Javelin with XR-E EZ900 R2 or XP-E R4 and smooth reflector

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I can't get away from my old LD20 with a Q5 emitter.. and I hate that emitter... stupid cree rings :ohgeez:

but having all those light levels to choose from makes it just so darn handy when out and about...

The LD22 at 42 lumens is good for 15 hours... for camping that's insanely good.

190 ansi lumens for 2 hours and 26 minutes. crazy good light... and with the R5 emitter you won't suffer the pains cause by the Q5's cree rings

BIG45-70

Enlightened
Best is always relative but the two highest quality although not the brightest are a malkoff 2XAA twisty or the Surefire E2L - AA.

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
I love the JetBeam Jet-1 Pro. I use it as a headlight for my bicycle and when camping. It has seen some harsh weather conditions and never failed. Tough construction, good o-rings, quality machining, tail stands, easy to use UI, decent beam spread. I power it with Eneloops and get really good run times. This is pretty much my go-to light as I know it will always work and has a convenient form factor. Has great 'natural' beam tint as well.

Last edited:

Dhbwa

Newly Enlightened
Lighthound (Balder SE series) Tactical AA and 2xAA are great little lights.

nofearek9

Newly Enlightened
xeno e03 also seems good for value

(i am also looking for flashlights with "normal" batterys AA or D)

the ThruNite T10 has nice specs, the 115lumnes i guess is with normal alkaline battery isnt it ?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best is always relative but the two highest quality although not the brightest are a malkoff 2XAA twisty or the Surefire E2L - AA.

those would be the only 2 i would consider.
my only 2xAA light is a surefire 9P with malkoff, but using 2xAA is more of a back-up option.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
The Sunwayman V20A deserves a look imo, I have one of the first anniversary editions and it's an awesome light. With the variable adjustment it's hard to beat. :thumbsup:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pair my H51w with the Quark X AA^2 with an optional 1xAA tube... the 2xAA tube makes a great spare batt container. Runs great on all batteries, Alk, Li, NiMh, Li-ion... something I understand the Fenix lights do not do well with.

For camping, I must have a 200+ hrs (per AA) moonlight mode... something not blinding to use in a tent or for close up work, and it's real comforting knowing I can just leave thing on continuously at night, everynight, and not have worry about swapping batts.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC the Streamlight ProTac EMS, which I think is a great little single AA light! I like the three power levels offered - the low at 3.6 lumens is great to look for things in the dark without blowing your eyes up. The medium at 10 lumens is good for general purpose illumination, while the high at 50 lumens is more than adequate for anything within 10 ft or so. As I said, I EDC the light, and most of the time am not even aware of it in my front pants pocket. If I were going to be using it a lot, I think that I would be comfortable wearing it with a neck laynard for ease of access. I chose the EMS over the other ProTacs because I have no use for strobe, and I like the three levels and the fact that it starts out at low. Because of that and the fact that it only reaches 50 lumens, it really can't be called a tactical light. But it is a great utility light and I recommend it whole-heartedly for that type of use. It has a nice deep reflector, so it throws further than one would expect for it's size and power levels. It does very well out to 20 or 30 yds, especially on high. I think it would be ideal as a backpacking/camping light.

Expired

Newly Enlightened
What's the price range you're looking at?

--flatline
Under $150
IPX-8 resistant
~1lm Low, ~50lm Med, Good High
Long runtimes, simple UI
Light, compact, durable, with few moving parts
Maybe an XML emitter?
Running on Eneloops.

q3131a

Newly Enlightened
The best AA flashlight I've used so far is the NovaTac Classic. Very nice beam and excellent run time.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JetBeam PA20 and PA10. I chose them over the Fenix LDs and 4sevens Quaarks.
They are bright enough for AA lights and have decent runtimes. Keep in mind that the PA10 has an XM-L T6 though so it's floody while the PA20 has XP-G R5.
They have a forward clicky and memory on the general mode.

In the end I got the LD20 and LD10 too 'cos I found them on sale. No regrets though, they are great lights too! The Fenix LD12 and LD22 are great too if you don't mind the side switch.

clg0159

Enlightened
So I've been looking for a flashlight to pair up with a ZL H51Fw or H502w headlamp.
Going to be using these for everything pretty much, mainly backpacking/camping though.
Looking at lights with a bit of throw.

So far I have the Fenix LD22 and LD12 on the list. What else should I be looking at?
What are some of the best AA/2AA lights out there?

In spite of some newer choices one of my "go to" 2XAA lights is the Lumapower Vantage. Great mix of throw and spill, choice of tint (I have the NW), simple UI with the ability to lock modes, plus great output.