Enlightened
Show off your copper stuff!

I'll start it off

content__media_external_images_media_1312.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1311.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1310.jpg

Rees

Enlightened
Nice I like it. I love copper stuff, wish I could have a hinderer Cu, let alone have 2. :) Also love the mac Cu. :thumbsup:

Rees

Enlightened
I love the copper keep it coming!

l have to add more to here, should be here next week hopefully, I cant wait. :whistle:

wwilson

Newly Enlightened
Show off your copper stuff!

I'll start it off

content__media_external_images_media_1312.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1311.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1310.jpg

I was totally unaware of a copper Zippo! Not a smoker but enjoy the lighters (Americana)...will definitely be picking up a Maratac as well! Good stuff!

Rees

Enlightened
There gotta be more copper out there somewhere! Show 'em off! Lights, knifes, pens, and other cool copper items.

Rees

Enlightened
I got the copper sphere off from Ebay. It cost me $34 shipped to my house and its 99.9% native Michigan copper.
content__media_external_images_media_1318.jpg

Its approx 50mm in diameter and about 1lb (will weigh with scale when I get one). It is coated so it wont tarnish, which im considering removing, but I guess for that could be less cleaning. It also came with the little stand, which is made of wood I think.

There was a few other diameters, but this was the biggest I could find. There were a few at 30mm and 40mm also.

I saw and had to have it, and wife thinks i'm nuts, but its just so much copper.......:drool:

Rees

Enlightened
Does this count? It's 12 X 1.5" of C110 copper that eventually got cut up into smaller flashlight parts, primarily heatsinks.

sure, it would be cool to see some pics of parts.

I think it would be nice to get some bezels or other parts made from copper to use on lego type lights like surefire or solarforce lights.

Rees

Enlightened
Just got this in the mail.
content__media_external_images_media_1319.jpg

Little knife is supposed to be copper handle with shell inlay and damascus blade. Not so sure on the copper part though. Tested it with multimeter and it isnt sealed and with my neodymium magnets they didnt stick to it so maybe a alloy or something. It has a slight smell like copper but not sure yet. tarnish will tell more hopefully.

content__media_external_images_media_1320.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1321.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1322.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1323.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1324.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1325.jpg

Not too bad looking IMO. I was playing with my DMM and checking continuity on the blade and what ever its made of or is on it doesnt conduct between the black to the silver parts on the blade. My magnets stick very well to the blade though and the pattern doesnt continue onto the back of the knife. But I cant expect alot from a inexpensive knife.

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure, it would be cool to see some pics of parts.

I think it would be nice to get some bezels or other parts made from copper to use on lego type lights like surefire or solarforce lights.
Almost everything I've made using copper has been internal heatsinks like the following:
DSC_1903.jpg

DSC_2997.jpg

DSC_3079.jpg

Copper is difficult to work on the lathe. It dulls carbide tools quickly. I can make parts like bezels and such, but, I prefer to keep it hidden away inside the light.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
content__media_external_images_media_1319.jpg

Little knife is supposed to be copper handle with shell inlay and damascus blade. Not so sure on the copper part though. Tested it with multimeter and it isnt sealed and with my neodymium magnets they didnt stick to it so maybe a alloy or something. It has a slight smell like copper but not sure yet. tarnish will tell more hopefully.
In the pictures it looks like copper with some zinc added = brass. Nice looking knife!

I got the copper sphere off from Ebay. It cost me $34 shipped to my house and its 99.9% native Michigan copper.
content__media_external_images_media_1318.jpg

Its approx 50mm in diameter and about 1lb (will weigh with scale when I get one). It is coated so it wont tarnish, which im considering removing, but I guess for that could be less cleaning. It also came with the little stand, which is made of wood I think.

There was a few other diameters, but this was the biggest I could find. There were a few at 30mm and 40mm also.

I saw and had to have it, and wife thinks i'm nuts, but its just so much copper.......:drool:

OK, it's decorative. I was wondering what it was for. $34 isn't expensive for that much cool. A Google search for copper sphere produced 9,970,000 hits. Who knew!?

~ Chance

Copper is listed at a three on the Mohs scale. A penny is listed around 3.2 to 3.5

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Rees

Enlightened
OK, it's decorative. I was wondering what it was for. $34 isn't expensive for that much cool. A Google search for copper sphere produced 9,970,000 hits. Who knew!?

~ Chance
I got it just for a large specimen of copper, and I liked it.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copper dulls carbide? How? It's such a soft metal.
Let me rephrase that. Copper requires razor sharp tooling and plenty of lubricating oil. If your tooling is a bit dull then the copper does not cut nicely. I have to rotate my cutting inserts constantly when working on copper, sometimes two or three times for one part while I can use one insert for many times the aluminum parts.