TEST ON 25+ LIGHTS (LUMENS, LUX, BEAMSHOTS-PHOTO HEAVY!!!)

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Ok, been lurking around, made a few posts, but I thought I would try to contribute to the site this time. My brother and I have obtained appx. 40 flashlights over the last 6 months since we started becoming flash-o-holics. We have a pretty good range varying from high end LED's to cheapy lights. We narrowed this test down to mostly name brand lights.
After research and seeing examples of similar light boxes from other members, we made our own. Used 4" pvc capped on one end with just a small opening for the lux meter and open on the other end. This end we got a custom cut piece of glass and siliconed it into the pvc flange. It's big enough for a SR90 to fit with a little room. We used foam rings of varying sizes to seal of the lights into the flange. It actually worked really well on containing all the light.
Now for the testing. We did all lux readings after 30 sec. The only exception was the one HID tested that we waited about 40sec for it to get to full power. After taking all the readings, it looked like the base numbers were very consistent. We calculated a baseline number for calculating lumens and used it for all the testing. I think that baseline number is pretty close considering for weak, medium, strong, thrower, and flooders, all had some read a little high and some a little low. To me, that makes me think the testing method is pretty reliable.
For lux reading we made a stand to hold all lights at exactly 1 meter. Again we recorded numbers at 30 seconds. That number needed no calculations.
So here is the lightbox and lux meter--
photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

Now here is our reading we got. I know some sound a little off like the deerelight's lumens, but other throwers tested close to published figures, so who knows.

Untitled.jpg

Lastly, we did a little unusual test. We made a man sized stand that held the lux meter. It had reflectors to help spot the target at longer distances. We did peak readings on many of the lights at multiple distances. We wanted to do more complete testing, but the little we did was VERY time consuming. As a note my lux meter only reads in tenths when it gets unter one lux, so its not a perfect test, but we thought the members might find it interesting
After all of that, we rounded up our medium through largest lights and did a full beamshot test. We are not professional photographers and the test location had a few obstacles that show in the reflections, but I feel the beamshots came out pretty realistic to what we were seeing in person.
Here is the control shots. Daytime was zoomed in a little. The night shot was exact size, settings, and location.

CONTROL1.jpg

CONTROL.jpg

Here is testing did at 100yards.

TURBO-100.jpg

T20-100.jpg

SR90-100.jpg

SR51-100.jpg

S18-100.jpg

S12-100.jpg

RYOBI-100.jpg

M3C4-100.jpg

KING-100.jpg

DEREELIGHT-100.jpg

CRELANT-100.jpg

The finial image is gif showing them all played out together at 100yards--

100YDCOMPARO.gif

Now here is the beamshots at 200yards. The camera was still left in place at 100yards for consistency. A little different, but it works I think.

TURBO-200.jpg

T20-200.jpg

SR90-200.jpg

SR51-200.jpg

S18-200.jpg

S12-200.jpg

RYOBI-200.jpg

M3C4-200.jpg

KING-200.jpg

DEREELIGHT-200.jpg

CRELANT-200.jpg

Here is the gif taken at 200yards--

200COMPARO.gif

Now the 300yard beamshots. A few of these lights struggled to make it, but I'm posting the shots anyway.

TURBO-300.jpg

T20-300.jpg

SR90-300.jpg

SR51-300.jpg

S18-300.jpg

S12-300.jpg

RYOBI-300.jpg

M3C4-300.jpg

KING-300.jpg

DEREELIGHT-300.jpg

CRELANT-300.jpg

Here is the gif at 300yards. Again the first lights are pretty weak, but some people might be curious how they do at that distance.

300YDCOMPAROBIG.gif

Now for the 400yard beamshots. For these we narrowed it down to 8 of the lights. Some are getting weak there, but some light is getting to the target tree.

CRELANT-400.jpg

DEREELIGHT-400.jpg

KING-400.jpg

M3C4-400.jpg

RYOBI-400.jpg

S18-400.jpg

SR51-400.jpg

SR90-400.jpg

Now the gif for the 400yards--

400YDCOMPARO.gif

Now the final beamshots. Some of these lights will go beyond this like the SR90 and Deerelight, but I was running out of park for shooting at the same target. Again some are pretty weak here and some did ok.

CRELANT-500.jpg

KING-500.jpg

M3C4-500.jpg

S18-500.jpg

SR51-500.jpg

RYOBI-500.jpg

SR90-500.jpg

DEREELIGHT-500.jpg

Here is the final shot. Gif at 500yards of all the bigger lights--

500YDCOMPARO-1.gif

Last edited:

rufus001

Enlightened
Fantastic contribution! Fascinating to see the hotspot of the SR90 and the Dereelight become similar at extreme distances. You need to buy a TK70 and TN31 for future shots. :poke: Just kidding! Really excellent post!

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Yes, my SR90 never fails to impress me when I get it out. I was really glad to see it's nice numbers and good showing in the beamshots. I'm also amazed with the throw the Deerelight has with so few lumens--awesome little light. The King was my most recent purchase & for such a stubby light, it puts out a ton of light and still has a reasonable amount of throw. I guess I'm not an HID man though. The Ryobi 35w HID did really well, but waiting for them to ramp up just drives me crazy. Plus the SR90 and King almost matched its lumens, and the SR90 and Deerelight both easily out threw it. The Ryobi is a cool light though for the small money it cost. Just hate dealing with HID's. Love the instant light power these great LED's offer.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Well, see that's the thing--few people have actually tested them. Self-built tried to, but his lightbox wasn't big enough is what I understood, so he had to estimate it at about 1400L. My light box is big enough so I was able to capture all of it's light. I am very confident the mentioned 1400L number is a very low estimate. The SR90 blows the 1200L S18 out of the water. They are not even in the same league. And the S18 is an impressive light in it's own right. Other factors that make my number appear about right is the ryobi, which is rated at 2500L and I tested it just under that, and the King that is rated at 2000L, seen tests at 2300L, and mine tested right between those numbers. So I really don't see why my 2020L shouldn't be about right. Perhaps I got an top bin SST90 in mine, who knows. I just know for certain that my SR90 is a VERY impressive light in person.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally dig the "light box" ;o) Thx for this awesome thread and comparo pics!

I've found with my setup that there are certain ranges that correspond accurately with my light meter (Extech HD450). Since it can measure between 0-400, 400-4K, 4K-400K I try to have a reference light that falls into the middle of each of these range. A light measured accurately in the 400-4K range will measure slightly higher in the 0-400 range.

I tried using a calculated delta but that wasn't as accurate as just calibrating the sensor each time I took the measurements (since temperature will also affect readings as well). In the 0-400 range, I will calibrate my current reference light, a Xeno G10v2, on medium mode (ANSI 180lms) to 170 and between 400-4K I've been using the High mode (after it stabilizes in regulation) calibrated to 465 to err on side of undercalculating.

I did measure TEEJ's de-domed SR90 at PF18 but can't remember the exact figure but it was lower than claimed. However, lumens is not always in direct correlation nor indicative of lux so I have no doubt the SR90 totally owns in that regard even if not in total output.

Definitely looking forward to more of your testing on this lightbox and try experimenting with a regulated light at various ambient temperatures to see what the differences are. It shouldn't be huge at higher outputs but can be considerable for sub 200 lumens readings.

Cheers,
Tim

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good job. Aawesome work for testing lumens & beamshots! :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot for your time & efforts.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the work and the great beamshots :popcorn:
I think we can all agree on the fact that the sr-90 is a great thrower. The light has been tested though, in a real integrating sphere by a German guy on Youtube here. Starts at 6:57, the exact number can be seen at 7:15

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for doing this, it is always great to see how lights perform together.

Last edited:

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Thanks for the link. Interesting to see the testing there. All I can say is that I own several reputable brand lights in the 800-1200 lumen range. My SR90 is nowhere close to any of those lights. Granted its pretty hard to tell the difference in a couple hundred lumens when in these power levels. But it's obvious in person and from the beamshots that it is far closer to the 2200-2350 lumens the King and Ryobi have, than the 1200L S18 or 900L SR51, 7G5, & M3c4.
I did use the exact same baseline number to calculate all lights range from the 24L Preon 0 up to the 2350L Ryobi Hid. So I can't see why the SR90 would be off any more than any other light tested. There were a few lights that were a little different than expected such as the Dereelight, the S12, Sr90, and the eagletacs. Have no answer for the Dereelight. I know the closest other light to a dedicated thrower--the Maglite 2d LED tested very close to correct. Never have found official numbers for the Dereelight. The S12 is a great little light, but in person and on the beamshots I truly think it's an under acheiver. Just don't think it's producing it's claimed 800L. All the eagletacs read a little high. I'm just guessing the turbo mode on them must be really drawing some amps. A good comparison is the SR51 vs the M3c4. Love my SR51, but it looks pretty obvious that the Eagletac is putting out more lumens. At least for the first 30 seconds.
Everything else is generally about what is expected.
Don't know. If somebody has another good testing or comparison method for the SR90, I'm game. I'm confident it's producing the numbers I tested it at. It's that impressive of a light.

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link. Interesting to see the testing there. All I can say is that I own several reputable brand lights in the
800-1200 lumen range. My SR90 is nowhere close to any of those lights. Granted its pretty hard to tell the difference in a couple hundred lumens when in these power levels. But it's obvious in person and from the beamshots that it is far closer to the 2200-2350 lumens the King and Ryobi have, than the 1200L S18 or 900L SR51, 7G5, & M3c4.
I did use the exact same baseline number to calculate all lights range from the 24L Preon 0 up to the 2350L Ryobi Hid. So I can't see why the SR90 would be off any more than any other light tested. There were a few lights that were a little different than expected such as the Dereelight, the S12, Sr90, and the eagletacs. Have no answer for the Dereelight. I know the closest other light to a dedicated thrower--the Maglite 2d LED tested very close to correct. Never have found official numbers for the Dereelight. The S12 is a great little light, but in person and on the beamshots I truly think it's an under acheiver. Just don't think it's producing it's claimed 800L. All the eagletacs read a little high. I'm just guessing the turbo mode on them must be really drawing some amps. A good comparison is the SR51 vs the M3c4. Love my SR51, but it looks pretty obvious that the Eagletac is putting out more lumens. At least for the first 30 seconds.
Don't know. If somebody has another good testing or comparison method for the SR90, I'm game. I'm confident it's producing the numbers I tested it at. It's that impressive of a light.

Ok, I know there have been reports of large variances between the SR-90s. I guessing it has to do with Vf of the SST-90 emitters which probably makes a big difference at these power levels. If your SR-90 is really that bright (and even way brighter than the manufacturer rating) than yours must have a super low Vf led. If you ever want to sell the light you should mention this.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Well, see that's the thing--few people have actually tested them. Self-built tried to, but his lightbox wasn't big enough is what I understood, so he had to estimate it at about 1400L. My light box is big enough so I was able to capture all of it's light. I am very confident the mentioned 1400L number is a very low estimate. The SR90 blows the 1200L S18 out of the water. They are not even in the same league. And the S18 is an impressive light in it's own right. Other factors that make my number appear about right is the ryobi, which is rated at 2500L and I tested it just under that, and the King that is rated at 2000L, seen tests at 2300L, and mine tested right between those numbers. So I really don't see why my 2020L shouldn't be about right. Perhaps I got an top bin SST90 in mine, who knows. I just know for certain that my SR90 is a VERY impressive light in person.

rdrfronty
Thanks for the link. Interesting to see the testing there. All I can say is that I own several reputable brand lights in the 800-1200 lumen range. My SR90 is nowhere close to any of those lights. Granted its pretty hard to tell the difference in a couple hundred lumens when in these power levels. But it's obvious in person and from the beamshots that it is far closer to the 2200-2350 lumens the King and Ryobi have, than the 1200L S18 or 900L SR51, 7G5, & M3c4.

It never fails that the SR90's output is once again is the object of discussion. It seems that there has been a wide variance in test results but considering the performance of my own SR90 the suggestion of a 1400L light is like speaking a different language to me. I'm in full agreement with rdrfronty here in that a properly operating SR90 is really something to behold. I'm not easily impressed with LED output because when it comes to large lights I'm primarily an HID guy. Until the small, triple XM-L lights were produced, the SR90 was the only thing that really knocked my socks off when in came to factory LEDs. I'm not just referring to throw but overall output which I estimate to be in the 2000+ range when compared to other lights of known output. I think I'm as impressed with the SR90 as rdrfronty was with his testing.

The SST-90 driven at measured current is a known factor, so a 1400L SST-90 would indicate that it was being under driven. If I was shipped a SR90 that was only slightly edging out the S18, I'd send it back to the vendor for a replacement unit instead of testing it. Or if I did test it, I'd post the figures with skepticism until it could be compared with a second unit.

Below I've posted some basic lux numbers based on an integrating bathroom test. Hardly a scientific method but good enough to give an idea of what's happening overall. It's worth noting that this type of reading will favor or exaggerate the floodier lights and slightly under exaggerate the lights with a tighter hot spot.

AE Light PL24/S 24W HID (1200L claimed)
100 lux stabilized at 1:00
101 lux peak

AE Light Xenide 24W HID (1500L claimed)
134 lux stabilized at :54
136 lux peak

Wolf Eyes Boxer 24W HID (1800L claimed)
151 lux stabilized at 1:35
152 lux peak

Olight SR90 (2200L claimed)
245 lux high
64 lux low

Microfire Warrior K3500 35W HID (3500L claimed)
305 lux stabilized at 1:30
310 lux peak

Costco / Harbor Freight 35W HID (3200L claimed)
296 lux stabilized at 1:10
419 lux peak at 35 sec.

Magic Scorpion "40W" HID (4000L claimed)
324 lux stabilized at 1:25
326 lux peak at 1:15

Power on Board 35W HID (3200L claimed)
326 lux stabilized at 1:35
333 lux peak at 2:00

Polarion Abyss Dual S 30W-45W @ 45W (4500L claimed @ 45W)
624 lux stabilized at 54 sec. 45W
946 lux peak at 8 sec. 45W

Polarion Abyss Dual S 30W-45W @30W (3000L claimed @ 30W)
276 lux stabilized at 46 sec. 30W
404 lux peak at 11 sec. 30W

Polarion PH50 Helios 50W HID (5200L claimed)
650 lux stabilized at 50 sec.
1000 lux peak at 9 sec.

Polarion Night Reaper (CSWL) 50+W HID (5200L claimed)
740 lux stabilized at 1:00
1134 lux peak at 11 sec.

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
To rdrfronty,

What a great job you have done of those beamshots, they are the best way to show what a flashlight can do against others.

You picked the right place and kept everything on an equal playing field, congratulations for doing such a great professional job.

I have the Olight SR51 and SR90 and a Dereelight DBS-T with EZ900 LED and an Aspherical Head.

The DBS-V3 you used, did that have an Aspherical Head on it or just the reflector?

I would find it it hard to believe it was a reflector throwing that far.

Cheers,

OTF

Last edited:

rdrfronty

Enlightened
The Dereelight was the DBS-V3 EZ900 pill and aspherical head. An Awesome thrower. Patriot, thanks for the test results. Your numbers look on line with my results.
And thanks guys for the comments. We actually has a lot of fun doing these beamshots. We had a tripod of course for the camera, but I had only a stand to rest the flashlights on. And even with a stand, holding a light like the Dereelight still for the slow shutter speeds required were a pita though. Is there anyplace to buy or an easy way to make a holder for the lights?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your your observations Patriot

I think there must be large variances between the sr-90s. It's the only explanation for the large differences in the data one can find.
Maybe Olight switched to a higher bin during the time the light was produced?
They never actually mention the used bin anywhere.
Another thing I have found out is that SR-90 only does (maybe only some earlier models?) 7.2A to the led (here) and that the led is mounted on a brass heatsink (here), which doesn't make much sense to me.

BTW I really like some of your youtube videos. Especially the desert hiking ones and your resktop reviews are also really good :thumbsup: Please do more if you can :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Really impressed to see the Eagletacs under promising and over delivering. :thumbsup:

I'm underwhelmed with the numbers posted for the S12 but it doesn't surprise me considering the performance of my copper S12. I removed the thermal regulation and that helped but 47s really handicapped this model with current regulation. In retrospect, they probably could have made this a DD light and managed the thermal issues with much wider parameters. My light never gets to 120F and could probably handle 140F.

Thanks so much for all of the hard work rdrfronty! :)

MomentumExchange

Newly Enlightened
Very nice photos! I love the multiple distances idea, it really shows that one beamshot on its own doesn't give a full picture. Great stuff!