Question for HDS Rotary owners (particularly HCRI)

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your help. I've been waiting for a few months for the Jetbeam RRT-0 to come back in stock, but during that time I've been reading good things about the HDS Rotary, and I'm starting to think that it's a better value. The infinite ramping, fixed clip, and aesthetics are much more appealing to me on the RRT-0, but the reliability and attention to detail of the HDS are making me think twice. I'm wondering, though, how smooth is the ramping on the Rotary? I know it has 24 levels and isn't infinite, but I can't find any videos that clearly show the ramping steps. Does it seem jerky to actual owners?

The other question I have is about how useful the HCRI is. If I get an HDS, I think I'll get a custom HCRI version since I don't have any lights like that. There doesn't seem to be much info on the HCRI Rotary, though, probably because it's newer. Is the lower output HCRI bright enough to illuminate at distance, or is it more of a short range flooder? Does the dimmer HCRI bulb make the ramping seem smoother, or the illumination seem more powerful for the lumens?

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
No one has the high CRI Rotary? Production must be slower than I thought...

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
Actually if anyone knows how the beam profile (in terms of throw, spill, and color) compare to a Surefire p90 incandescent bulb that would be great.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think a single Hi CRI rotary has made it out into the consumer market. Thre might be a few special samples out though.

Also only a few regular Rotaries have made it out. Basically this light is unobtainium right now. You could order a custom but it may be months to years before you see it.

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
Years? Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. I thought that they had just gotten their contractor woes sorted out and should be stepping up production. Do HDS lights tend to hold their value pretty well? I may just blindly go for it and resell it as a last resort if for some reason I really don't like the light.

QuailRider

Newly Enlightened
I don't think a single Hi CRI rotary has made it out into the consumer market. Thre might be a few special samples out though.

Also only a few regular Rotaries have made it out. Basically this light is unobtainium right now. You could order a custom but it may be months to years before you see it.

That sucks. I was looking at an HDS rotary myself. Why is production at a standstill?

choombak

Enlightened
Years? Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. I thought that they had just gotten their contractor woes sorted out and should be stepping up production. Do HDS lights tend to hold their value pretty well? I may just blindly go for it and resell it as a last resort if for some reason I really don't like the light.

Rules of demand-supply economy apply here as well. Typically you should be able to recover most of it depending on the usage condition though. I hear some speakers have 120E stock, but I am perfectly happy with my hcri that I received after a good long six month wait. :)

Imon

Enlightened
Actually I do remember someone on this forum getting his hands on the elusive HDS Rotary High CRI.

This seemed to be the last little blip we heard from HDS. I don't know if it's because the suppliers have priority before us or if the people who ordered the lights don't report it on CPF but for now we'll just have to believe there are no more reliable machining shops left.

choombak

Enlightened
Actually I do remember someone on this forum getting his hands on the elusive HDS Rotary High CRI.

This seemed to be the last little blip we heard from HDS. I don't know if it's because the suppliers have priority before us or if the people who ordered the lights don't report it on CPF but for now we'll just have to believe there are no more reliable machining shops left.

From the man himself - orders are filled on a first come basis irrespective of dealer/supplier or individual status.

sprinkle

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your help. I've been waiting for a few months for the Jetbeam RRT-0 to come back in stock, but during that time I've been reading good things about the HDS Rotary, and I'm starting to think that it's a better value. The infinite ramping, fixed clip, and aesthetics are much more appealing to me on the RRT-0, but the reliability and attention to detail of the HDS are making me think twice. I'm wondering, though, how smooth is the ramping on the Rotary? I know it has 24 levels and isn't infinite, but I can't find any videos that clearly show the ramping steps. Does it seem jerky to actual owners?

The other question I have is about how useful the HCRI is. If I get an HDS, I think I'll get a custom HCRI version since I don't have any lights like that. There doesn't seem to be much info on the HCRI Rotary, though, probably because it's newer. Is the lower output HCRI bright enough to illuminate at distance, or is it more of a short range flooder? Does the dimmer HCRI bulb make the ramping seem smoother, or the illumination seem more powerful for the lumens?

As you can see from the link that Imon posted I have one of the apparently few HCRI Rotaries out there. I also have a Jetbeam RRT-0 that has been modded with a HCRI LED. While the RRT-0 is a nice light, it does not even come close to the HDS in my opinion. The Rotary just screams quality, while the RRT-0 just seems like a nice light. The rotary dial on the HDS is stiff but not hard to turn and feels very solid. The dial on the Jetbeam is very loose feeling and is easy to hit and change the setting. I wanted it for the extreme low when taking night photos, but I hit it too often turns to a brighter setting than I want. It has pretty much resided on my desk since receiving the HCRI Rotary... while the HDS never leaves my pocket!

You will not think about the ramping steps on the HDS as each level is well thought out and is exactly how I would want them. They are spaced enough apart to actually tell they are changing without being abrupt changes. The infinitely of the RRT-0 is nice but without the dial being stiff enough to fine tune and hold the setting it is not worth it.

The lack of a clip on the Rotary was almost enough to keep me from getting one. But I took a chance back when they first came out with my CW version and I have loved it so much that I could honestly care less about a clip now!

Actually if anyone knows how the beam profile (in terms of throw, spill, and color) compare to a Surefire p90 incandescent bulb that would be great.

I don't have a Surefire that uses the p90 bulb, but I have several incandescent Surefire lights. I like the tint, beam, and runtime on the HCRI HDS much better. While it doesn't have the throw of the incan lights, it makes up for it with an extremely smooth beam and more output. The incans will beat it on throw, the HDS will win on spill for sure, and my preference on color goes the the HDS (the incans are too warm/orange for me)

Yes I was able to get one from a dealer. I think they only got about 4 in and I was lucky on getting my order in. I wished I had ordered more though ;)
I have my original order in with Henry since 12/31/11 and I am looking forward to getting another one... the thought of losing the one I have scares me LOL

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, that was exactly what I was hoping to hear in terms of beam tint and profile. Just put one on order!