What flashlight in the rainforest?

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'd like to buy a flashlight but being an inexpert guy I need some info please.
I will use it in rainforest and I need to know: with continuous working how many minutes will the batteries last.
I'm thinking to buy .... look at the specifications, please.: all from aliexpress

1) SET-Tactical-Flashlight-4300-Lumens-4-X-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Aluminum-Waterproof

2) TrustFire-3800-Lumens-LED-Flashlight-Torch-3-pcs-Ultrafire-18650-Rechargeable-Battery-AC-Battery-charger

3) Trustfire-Z5-Flashlight-7-Mode-1600-Lumens-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Flashlight-18650-Battery-Zoomable-

PS. Out of curiosity: I already have this light: Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light flashlight is a 4300 lumens and the Comer 1800 lux 18w. What difference
between the two one? 1800 lux how many lumens are they?
Thanks to answer my questions.
Thanks alot.

Please Do Not link directly to sales sites - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Walterk

Enlightened
Claims from advertisement are never trusthworthy.

You have to find reviews , hopefully with beamshots and measurements to know better. Without it, it is a gamble.

You better post specifications in your post, like:

Name
Diameter of the reflector
Number of leds used, type of led
Number of batteries, type of batteries
Advertised lumen

Trustfire
1 x XM-L
3x18650
3800lumens

Trustfire zoom Z5
1x XM-L T6
1x18650
1600lumen

Trustfire
4x XM-L T6
3x 18650
4300 lumen

The Comer seems a very nice cameralight. I think all the lights above, are about half the lumen as advertised. The lights with reflectors might be a almost as bright as the Comer.
In the woods I think it is better to have different modes, low, medium and high for example. It also saves battery when you do not need full throttle power.
The zoom light has the smalles diameter, but it is useful to have both wide and narrow beam. I always like zoom lights.
For runtime, the XM-L often gets 2.8 ampere from the driver, a 18650 is about 3000mah I think, so runtime would be around 1,5 hour.

The light in in the woods, is it for hiking or for photographing?

Last edited:

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
Hi Walterk, thanks for your reply.
I will not reach woods but rainforest in Africa or South America to make videos. With "1,5 hour" do you mean one hour and 30 minutes runtime? Then I don't understand their runtime:
Tactical-Flashlight-4300-Lumens-4-X-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Aluminum-Waterproof
Battery Configurations:3x18650 3.7v
and
TrustFire-3800-Lumens-LED-Flashlight-Torch-3-pcs-Ultrafire-18650-Rechargeable-Battery-AC-Battery-charger-wholesalers.
Battery Configurations:2x18650 3.7v

With these two flashlights will I get the same runtime?
Which would you buy among the three flashlights, please?

Last edited by a moderator:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check for lights without pwm for filming. The high speed flicker from the pwm might be visible on camera. Using a video camera is a simple way to determin pwm in a light. Pwm is a way to dim the output by simply runnung the led on full power, but turning it on/off in high frequency. The longer off cyclus, the dimmer. It might force you to use the highest otput only. Espesially around water or other reflective stuff.

Last edited:

Walterk

Enlightened
I don't know your needs. If i was walking in the woods (or rainforest for that matter) I would take the zoom. Most compact and most versatile.
(According review on another forum in another league then the alternatives you pointed at due to bigger diameter and multiple XM-L not as bright nor throwy)

Seems both can use 2x or 3x18650 due to the extendable bezel.
They both Trustfire 3T6 and 4T6 have same diameter 55mm, so throw will be equal, more juice to power 3 leds then 4 leds, so maybe 3 leds is bit stronger on throw. On lumen de 4xXML will be stronger (overkill to my liking, unless you expect to be haunted by baboons). The zoom is 37mm so a bit less throw.

If it is to use for finding your path and to familiarize with the surrounding, then I would take the zoom.
You don't need super much lumen to walk around in the pitch black, actually it is better to use just enough to keep some night vision adaptation.
White light might disturb wildlife, I know ducks and goose almost panic when woken by bright light.

If you want to use it while filming you can consider a direct drive, thats without driver.

Last edited:

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
I'M SORRY, but never will use the flashlight with my camera, I already have one light for it. I will use the flashlight only for walking in the rainforest and I need to know how much bright they are but above all how much runtime they get. Thanks

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
If you want to use it while filming you can consider a direct drive, thats without driver. The two mode on/off flashlight could be without driver.
Now you have made clear my ideas. But I don't understand fine when you wrtite: "If you want to use it while filming you can consider a direct drive, thats without driver. The two mode on/off flashlight could be without driver". With my bad english I don't understand what do you mean with "driver".
Can you explain better, please?
Then, I'd like to know if Trustfire 3T6 runtime is one hour and 30 minutes (around).
Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Walterk

Enlightened
To convert the voltage from the battery cells to a suitable voltage for the led, most times a driver is used. Google 'driver' at CPF.

I am not good in electronics, but suppose the maximum discharge current from 18650 is 5 Ampere. Then in high mode this 5 Ampere is divided over the leds used. Each led gets its share, say 1,5 Ampere. Still, total 5 ampere on high. One batterie say 3100mah, two batteries 6100mah, divided by the theoretical 5 ampere, you would have 1 hour and 10 minutes in high mode.
Double that time for low mode.

Note: do consider taking spare batteries with you, or use the light only in low mode. Dont take it in the bush unless you have tested the runtime.

Walterk

Enlightened
Try the same with the same battery and halogen :).
Won't get you any further. You have to see it in perspective.

As always you have to choose limits:

Min max throw
Min max lumen
Size and weight
Budget

Within that you choose what suits best your task, AND consider if the purchase is of value for other tasks.

And remind; my shot at it is an estimation, searching for reviews will be more defined. Send a PM.And don't forget spare batteries.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For walking around and "jungle stuff" buy a zebralight h600w. You dont need "several thousand" lumens, but lots of times you will need both your hands free. Im alot outdoors, and find it's little brother the h51fc to be brighter than i need it to be most of the time. usually everything over medium mode will kill all of my nightvision. The h600 series would be overkill for me, but if you really fancy lumens, it can prob deliver more light than you really need. (blind you and all around you). It got super good runtimes, thats more important in a outdoor light. I wouldent use a cheap, overpowered 3x18650 light in the rainforest. Too mutch that can go wrong with all those cells under high stress and all the heat.

Walterk

Enlightened
True headlamp would be much more convenient in any way, except for throw that I miss rarely. For finding your path and handling your equipment and gear its priceless.

I have considered the Zebralights but from specs and reviews from different forums the Spark SD gets the best reviews from outdoor-people.
Thats why I actually have one on order, the SD-NW460.

Don't know on what grounds Adriano made his pre-selection though.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
You might find my experience from a few years ago relevant:

LED flashlight experience: 2 weeks in a Costa Rica rainforest

The actual lights I used are all way out of date now, but the principles are the same.

Personally, I would skip all the high-output, multi-emitter lights. If I were going back, the two primary lights I would bring is something relatively floody that works as a headlamp (one of my Zebralights or Sparks, most likely), and a small pocket light with good throw. Multi-levels are a must for both, so you can adjust output and runtime as needed. Battery choice is up to you, based on what you expect local availability to be (both for batteries and electrical charging).

In terms of the basic principles of flood vs throw, how to compare runtimes, etc., you might also find my Selfbuilt's introductory flashlight video primers useful. I cover a lot of the basic info in those video comparisons.

Final word, I think you will find less is more when it comes to lumen output in a rainforest environment. We are not used to being in completely dark environments in the modern world, so it is easy to over-estimate how much light you will need. A couple of quality lights (with backups) is what you want - as small and light-weight as you can manage.

Good luck!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something waterproof!

Flood over throw. If the forest canopy is dense you don't want glare killing your vision. An incan A2 would be perfect IMHO!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to be using a light in humid environment, you will need something that has beefy waterproofing. And, if you are going to use it for photography, emitters with high color rendition will be a great bonus.

With those in mind, I recommend Malkoff MD2 with high/low ring and M61 with Nichia 219 will do the trick. The reason why I recommend this is because Malkoff drop-ins are self-contained, and if moisture gets inside the light by chance, it will still work since water won't get into the drop-in where all of the electronics are housed. High/low ring also allows you to select the output to light up things or conserve batteries. Nichia 219 has a CRI of 92, better than most other LED emitters.

If you are going to go with that option, I suggest you grab the Surefire FM34 diffuser, as well. Since MD2's head is smaller than FM34, you will need to get an electrical tape and wrap that around MD2's head and get the FM34 to get a grip. With the diffuser, you will get a floodlight suitable for area lighting.

Keep in mind that this setup will be expensive.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to agree with what others have said. You really probably don't need as much light as you think.

When I go camping, I carry three lights, a floody headlamp, a small pocket light, and a larger, more "throw" type light.

Headlamps are excellent, as they free both hands for completing tasks, walking/trekking, general illumination. This is your near-field illumination, and probably what you'll use the most.

A small pocket light, I usually carry my HDS 140n, as its small, waterproof, throws very well for its size and the multiple level sof output allow me to choose whether I want more light, or more run time.

As a more throw oriented light, I carry my Surefire E2L turned Milkyspit Expurgator. More throw, more run time, but larger and heavier.

Another thing to consider: warm or neutral color temperature LED's. These will give out a light that is more like an incandescent light, and generally just make things appear closer to what they are. Colors look better with a neutral LED than a 6000K cold-white LED [which, in my experience, makes everything look flat, dull and difficult to distinguish].

Zebralight offers an excellent array of headlamps. Get one with a neutral white LED, even if it has lower overall output, because things will look better.

Maybe check out 4Sevens for a pocket light, and get a lumapower D Mini for throw.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I almost replied this morning just after the OP first posted but I didn't understand his needs. Now that it's a little clearer I think many have given good advice but there's still more to consider.

I don't know exactly where you're going, but my rainforest experience is in the Northern Frontier of Bolivia. These are my considerations when I travel there:

The first consideration is reliability. It is difficult to understand how primitive it is and how poor the quality is of anything you buy there, if you can get it at all. There are no Walmarts on every block. The flashlights I take are probably more expensive than you might consider, but buy the most reliable you can afford.

Take back up lights. Don't rely on a single light. I suggest a floody light and a thrower. Again, I don't know where you're going, but in some areas large parts of the rainforest have been cleared. Perhaps you could get a light that also has a defuser.

Edit: I hit the send button by mistake.

Finally, how easily can you access power to recharge your batteries? You may need to take a flashlight that can use primaries as well as rechargeables if you will be in the field for long periods. This also influences the size of batteries you use. If you use 18650s then you need to take a lot of CR123 primaries with you because you'll be unlikely to find any there, no matter the cost. If you take a flashlight that can use AA then you may be able to source them locally, but they likely won't be the quality you're used to. But unless you return to a major town or city on a regular basis, don't rely solely on rechargeables.

Also, the headlamp suggestion was a good one. It can substitute for one of your lights, possibly the floody one.

Safe travels!

Last edited:

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I concur on the flood thing..I spent a week in Peru, and unless you NEED alot of throw,I would go with low to medium flood.this will give you more run time. The more light you put out, the more bugs will be flying around you!
Also factor in if you will have access to a charger, or if you want to lug around a ton of primaries....
And don't forget to carry out any non-biodegradable garbage!

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second Enom's suggestion of the Malkoff MD-2 w/ M61L and Hi/Lo ring [maybe a Valiant twisty as backup] and a box of CR123s. Or get a new SureFire P series w/ a Malkoff M61. Either way you want as "bombproof" a light as possible under the conditions you'll experience.

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
I've read attentively your posts. All are interesting but I am still not so expert to do a choise. I tell you my need. I often reach primary rainforest in Brazil, Peru and Africa. Now I'm using TL-3 streamlight with xenon bulb, but if I sail some rivers in the night I will need a flashlight with much more direct throw than TL-3 streamlight. But when I walk on the path I will need a more floodly light. Is there a flashlight with these specificatios? In your opinion the TrustFire 3800 Lumens LED Flashlight with 3 reflectors is good for me? Here tehre are the specs: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...e-Battery-AC-Battery-charger-wholesalers.html ... or is it better a Fandyfire STL-V6 or ... a Xtar 2350 Lumens Powerful Search Flashlight S1with 2600mah cells or ... a Skyray King or ... what? I will need a long run time also because I will be out from external world for 10 days. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited: