Going old school with a KL1

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently scored a great deal on a couple of original E2Ls with the KL1 head. I remember when this variant came out. The sides were definitely drawn because of the square beam and the ringy pattern when white wall hunting. As LED tech has grown leaps and bounds especially in terms of shear output it made pause and reflect on my own idio-syncracies. When I go out my first though is to take something really bright, at least 200 lumens. Then when it comes to using it I realize perhaps 200 lumens is just a tad overkill when looking for my car keys.

Last night I went out with an Arc AAA and the before mentioned E2L. In the back of my mind the little voice kept telling me take the 6P with the Malkoff you fool! But the kid in me just enjoyed the relatively modest beam of the KL1 as the unlit shadows let my imagination run wild. Man I got to stop reading all those zombie stories!

Thanks for sharing.

kelmo

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the KL1. It is very impressive when you swap the Luxeon with a XP-E :D

Mine is on an Aleph body with a 2-stage switch...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't carry any lights that make over ~160L as EDC. Size is more important to me. After that long runtime and neutral tint. OK, neutral tint may be first or second. I have two stock 2nd gen KL1's that are nice, but I am looking at modding both. NoFair, how does the beam look with the XP-E? How is it compared to the Luxeon? I have an L1 with the same optic with a direct drive K2 TFFC neutral and it has a larger brighter hot spot than the Lux3. I may get an XP-E put in one and an XP-G in the other.

Last edited:

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I have a KL1 also and like it very much. The wide range of voltage is very useful for me. It makes the rounds on all my ebodies regularly. I have though about sending mine out and having a Nichia 219 installed. Can anyone recommend a modder?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't carry any lights that make over ~160L as EDC. Size is more important to me. After that long runtime and neutral tint. OK, neutral tint may be first or second. I have two stock 2nd gen KL1's that are nice, but I am looking at modding both. NoFair, how does the beam look with the XP-E? How is it compared to the Luxeon? I have an L1 with the same optic with a direct drive K2 TFFC neutral and it has a larger brighter hot spot than the Lux3. I may get an XP-E put in one and an XP-G in the other.

The beam is a bit less square (roundish hotspot and squareish corona around that) throw is very impressive and the beam is imho more useful. The slightly different beam might also be caused by very slight difference in emitter position. Mine has a neutral xp-e and with the huge improvement in brightness the Aleph 2 stage switch is very useful.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for sharing, I had not considered using an XP-E in my KL1.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the XP-E works well with the optic. I will go ahead with mine then. I am going to put in an R2-4D.

I also have several Aleph two-stage tailcaps. One is shown in my Avatar. I have three McC2S C series tail kits (2 installed) and I think four McE2S. When the Shoppe said they were to be discontinued, I bought a couple more of each.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get the XP-E or XP-G on an 8mm round PCB of the right height it is a straight swap. Cutter has round 10mm PCBs that have the right height and just need to be trimmed to have an 8mm diameter.