McGizmo Haiku Nichia 219 High CRI mod

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I look at some of the awesome builds of some of the members here, I am almost embarrassed to post this. Still, I'm so enamored of the Nichia 219 4500k 92 CRI emitters, and the Haiku is my all time favorite light, so what the heck - let's try and mod that beauty. Bear in mind, I have no 'good tools' for such things, even though I have a decent soldering station en route.

Patience is not a virtue I am possessed with, so while waiting for my soldering station I searched for other means to complete the mod

Having never modded a light engine before, and it seemed like heresy for me to even consider modding a Haiku engine, but that's what I did. :crazy:

Here are a few crude photos - I wish I had better documented the process!

The victim - a McGizmo warm XPG light engine
IMG_6554.JPG

The MCPCB separates with little effort, although it is snug when it is in place
IMG_6563.JPG

I removed the old emitter using my smooth stove burner - reflowed the Nichia the same way. Sorry there are not more photos!

I was surprised at how well the emitter 'centered itself' on the board. After this, it was as simple as reconnecting the leads, dropping the board back into the can, and screwing everything back together. Imagine my surprise when it worked - the first time!

P1030652.JPG

So in my sphere I'm getting (Lo, Med, High) approximately 5, 30 and 120 lumen of an absolutely beautiful beam. I still have my 119 engine, and it's still one of my favorites, but this 219 in the Haiku looks awesome. (I realize you have no point of reference, but this is pretty darn close to what the beam looks like to my eyes)
P1030657.JPG

I have to say - after 'cracking open' a few light heads just to see what was going on in there, I have a new respect for Don's design. Everything is put together tightly and precisely, but his design allows for easy modding. I was impressed that he even leaves a bit of extra length on the leads from the driver to the board. For those of us overzealous, clumsy modder wanna bees it's nice that when we are removing the MCPCB from the 'can', the extra length avoids a forced disconnect on one of the leads.

My ramblings can only serve to illuminate :eek: the obvious fact that I don't know much about modifying these lights, and I have a new found respect for all you gifted modders and tinkerers out there! My next planned victims are a ThruNite T10 and Ti, and if I'm really feeling brave, a Fenix PD20.

Finally, I have to say that the McGizmo Haiku continues to impress with it's utility and elegant simplicity. As emitters evolve, those of us fortunate enough to own McGizmos will probably have an easy time of keeping our lights 'updated.' Thanks, Don! :D

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet mod! With a soldering station in the mail and having already performed this mod, you're treading on a dangerous slope run4jc. No light is safe from you now! :devil:

How's the focus on the 219? The Haiku has a surprisingly deep reflector so I imagine it puts out a pretty nice beam? How's the heat after the mod too? After I modded my D10 with a 219, that little bugger gets ridiculously hot after a very short time period. These have such a low Vf that the current through the emitter seems to increase a bit in every light you put them into.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet mod! With a soldering station in the mail and having already performed this mod, you're treading on a dangerous slope run4jc. No light is safe from you now! :devil:

How's the focus on the 219? The Haiku has a surprisingly deep reflector so I imagine it puts out a pretty nice beam? How's the heat after the mod too? After I modded my D10 with a 219, that little bugger gets ridiculously hot after a very short time period. These have such a low Vf that the current through the emitter seems to increase a bit in every light you put them into.

The focus is VERY good, and I am very pleased. Very nice beam - hot spot just a bit larger than a 119 equipped Haiku. As for the heat, yessir - it runs hotter than an XPG or 119 equipped Haiku. I could feel it after a few minutes when I first used it.

If not for all you talented modding geniuses out there, I would never have had the nerve to attempt this. What seems like "no big deal" to so many of you is a huge deal to me! Going forward I'll keep my attempts restricted to less expensive lights with uncomplicated architectures.

Now if Cree would only come out with an XML with the same tint (or lack of) that these little Nichias have!! :naughty:

Scout24 and I were talking the other day - it seemed to be only a matter of time before we cracked into some of our existing lights - it just seems like "the next thang...." :grin2:

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan, Awesome work on your first mod. Now you have me wanting to try. I always enjoy reading your posts and looking at the photos....Robert.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Robert, for your nice comments! I am at our family's place at the beach - I brought this light along with a mixture of 14 other lights in the hopes of doing a bunch of beam shots, culminated by the Nitecore Tiny Monster. Forgot my tripod!!:sigh:

......hee hee - went to the store today and bought NEW tripod, so the beam shots are ON tonight! :party:

So we can get a look at the beam of the mod against a bunch of popular lights, including the Malkoff M61 219 and the Vinh P60 219..if all goes well, here's what will be included...

Not a tease - beamshots posted over here!

6V Haiku
Haiku 219
Haiku 119
Malkoff M61N
Malkoff M61
Malkoff M61 219
Vinh 219
Thrunite 1C
Zebralight SC80
Jetbeam TCR1
Niteye eye10
Elzetta ZFL M60 3 cell
Surefire E2E stock
Quark AA with 14500
Sunwayman V10R with RCR
Thrunite TM11

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice, you're a man after my own heart, except that I think you did a bit better of a job on the first try than I would have.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice job!
i just swapped in a 219 into one of my 1st gen L1 this morning, these 219s are great, fits on any XP board, and easy to get a clean beam from them.
i really need to save up for a McG, Don's designs just seem so ingenious.

davyro

Enlightened
I've had my Haiku 6V modded with a nichia 219 & like you I'm really pleased with it but unlike you i don't have the courage to do these things myself.I've just sent my HDS 120E to get the same job done.
So all of you who do these mods have my utmost respect,you've done a great 1st job by the way,well done!!