trit installation

mr.lumen

Enlightened
i have a light with a trit that went out. so the builder is sending me a new one. how do i install the trit. i hope its not too complex!

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little bit more info will help.

What is the light
where is the size of the trit?
how is the old trit? Is it broken?
have you got norland?
have you got a uv lamp?

mr.lumen

Enlightened
its a lummi raw ns.
the trit is probably a 1/4 long.
i dont know how old his trits are but i got the light a month ago and it stopped working so hes shipping me a new one. i figured i could do it myself.
it didnt look broken just no glow.
what is norland? so probably no i dont have it haha.
i dont have a uv lamp either, would a uv flashlight work? i have been meaning to buy one, do i now have an excuse? haha.
i heard you can use the sun too if you dont have a lamp?

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lummi raw NS should be using a 1.5mm x 5.5mm trit if it is a new design. The older designs used a very thin 1mm by 12mm trit. They were like needles. Not easy to find those trits. You say 1/4 long so I assume it is the new style.

If the light is one month old and the trit stopped working it must have developed a crack and the gas escaped.

You will need to extract the old trit out. It is usually set in a optical clear adhesive called Norland 61. Best way to release the trit is to heat the area with a lighter having removed the LE, battery and any O rings. The Norland will start becoming soft and using a needle price the trit out. Be careful the Norland will release a small qty of toxic gases. So do it outside in a ventilated area.

Once you clean the slot out mount the new trit with norland (you can buy some from Rocket Tomato over at CPFM).

Fill the slot half way with norland and push the trit in. The norland will then nicely rise up and cover the trit and form a clear lens over the trit. Make sure there no bubbles.

The sun will do to cure or a 365nm uv flashlight works wonders.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
well thank you sir. i think i can handle it. i hope. ill let you know how it goes!