ARC LS with Luxeon III?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
How hard would it be to get a Luxeon III in an ARC LS and have it driven to or a little more than spec? Is it hard to boost the current? Im assuming replacing the LS is just like replacing any LS. What would be the runtime of a 3 watter running off a single 123 at ~700-800mA?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get an S-ranked Luxeon III, I'd say it may be worth doing. Otherwise, you're not going to get much benefit from the higher output since you'll realize that only when driving at 700mA or more which a single 123 wouldn't be able to provide. Swapping the LS is not that difficult, many have done it before. I think the LS III's are best left for driving at or above 700mA which means a 2x123 or single Li-Ion power source.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the limits of 123 cells are 1 watt LS's eh? That's kind of disappointing...

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting,
I figured a lithium would be able to kick out more current than two AA batteries. My minimag BB500 R2H runs fine on two AA batteries and others run madmax+ hitting the luxeons at 800mA. KL1 heads are modified for 700mA so a Luxeon III would be perfect for them. I can see a single lithium running at 700mA to be usable although the run time would not be that great.
The KL4 uses two lithiums to drive a 5 watt luxeon underdriven at 640mA for 65 minutes. Mathimatically it would be possible for a LS III to run for an hour at 700mA.
Once a T3J Luxeon III LED become available, I can see Arc using them. The answer would be the actual bin codes of the LS III I presume.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Lithium cell has around 3-3.5 Watt hours of energy capacity. Two 1.8AH AA's have more energy (I think close to 4 W-H) than a single Li-Ion but provides it at a lower voltage so some of the disadvantage is lost when requiring a step-up. A single Lithium will run a 700mA LED but runtime will probably be an hour depending on your LED. If an hour is acceptable, it's a good trade off. I do have an Arc running at 700mA using a Q3J and I have to say it rocks! (and gets hot!)

A KL1 at 700mA gets at least an hour and a half of *regulated* run time on a single Li-Ion cell. I do intend to try about 900mA on a KL1 when my III's arrive. I have a feeling run time will drop to about an hour or so.

T3J Luxeon III? Real soon I hope. It didn't take too long to go from M to R on the 1W's so I'm anxiously awaiting the T's arrival.

CM

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM,
Thanks for the explanation, I guess it can do it at the expense of runtime. The Lithium Ion cells sound interesting, it will be good to see what that KL1 can do.
Good point on the M to R 1Ws, maybe they will be at U or V by Christmas. The 5W is at X so it is quite possible.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you say UV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I sure wished Lumiled's had UV Luxeons. Scorpions, run for cover! Oops, I guess you mean U or V flux. I'd love to see that kind of output from a 1W /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would convert my Arcs to that and keep the stock bias. Great runtime and high output. I suppose it's going against conventional thinking.

CM

Traut

Newly Enlightened
I've been running a KL4 on an e1e. Is the only drawback/detriment compared to 2X123s the run time? Its an awesome little package.Thanks