some noob ceiling bounce tests i did today

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
well since i was bored and just got a cheap budget lightmeter this week:thumbsup:

measurements were taken 1 minute after turning each light on

dry 3xml 540 lux in same test:rock:
trustfire trj-12 5xml t6 -418lux
nitecore tm11 -354lux (on turbo mode)
jetbeam bc25 -125lux
vinh's xml p60 dropin -160lux

dry 3xml is in the mail along with my sr90, wonder how they will both compare

i think i need a tripod or something to measure accurately @1m etc.. i tried setting up my deerelight dbs-t aspherical and i could not hold it steady enough for an accurate reading

i did notice that measurements are extremely sensitive, if i moved a light an inch the readings would change, so i made sure to take them with the sensor and light tailstanding in the same spot

any tips from the pros for accurate readings ? lol

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a pro by ANY stretch, but I will offer you a couple of tidbits...

1 - CONGRATS on 'doing it yourself'...

2 - You might want to ensure that your light meter's sensor isn't 'seeing' the direct reflection from the hot spot.

It's fairly easy to make a home made sphere ....

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting... i have a suspicion that my wife will poo poo the idea of having a box like that floating around so... IM GOING TO MAKE ONE! lol

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
All in the interest of science and learning...;)

I still use mine all the time....after over 2 years!

I've been married to the same girl for 24 years - by now she just grins and bears it! :thumbsup:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think i need a tripod or something to measure accurately @1m etc..

Yep, a tripod or something to hold it for you is the best. That's what I use. I also use a tripod for the light meter too. I also have a reference point stuck on the ceiling and try to centre the hotspot as best as I can at it.

Ceiling bounces are great, and the missus doesn't question what I'm doing in the toilet with all those lights tripods and electronic gadgetry.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, a tripod or something to hold it for you is the best. That's what I use. I also use a tripod for the light meter too. I also have a reference point stuck on the ceiling and try to centre the hotspot as best as I can at it.

Ceiling bounces are great, and the missus doesn't question what I'm doing in the toilet with all those lights tripods and electronic gadgetry.

the bathroom has many uses... and most revolve around DEEP meditation of time and space