Don't use CR123s in Thrunite's TN30 & TN31 also found in cases - email from Thrunite.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't use CR123s in Thrunite's TN30 & TN31 also found in cases - email from Thrunite.

Do not use CR123 batteries in Thrunite lights TN30 & TN31 and some people have found them packed in the carry case.

I have been talking about the pros and cons of the Thrunite TN31 on another thread but this is something that I have just discovered and it is important.

My carry case that the TN31 came in had 3 packs of 2 x CR123s in with the light.

The working voltage of this light is 4 - 13V.

If you use 3 x 18650 batteries the light runs on just over 12v.

If you use 6 x CR123 batteries the light runs on just over 18.7V.

I just emailed Thrunite and they stated in their reply.

DO NOT USE CR123 BATTERIES IN THE TN31.

I just emailed Thrunite again and asked who put the wrong batteries in the carry cases, Thrunite or the Dealer in Australia.

I just got a reply from Thrunite for me to ask the distibutors about this issue.

Thrunite sound like they were not responsible for the mistake.

Can anyone who bought this light and found CR123 batteries in the carry case just state where approximately they got the unit from.

It is making me wonder if it is only one dealer in Australia who did this by mistake or is it more widespread.

Do not use CR123 batteries in Thrunite lights TN30 & TN31 and some people have found them packed in the carry case.

Cheers

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do not use CR123s in the Thrunite TN31 at times found in box - email from Thrunit

Lucky I only ran it a couple of times!!

Lucky you did not fry the electronics inside the driver.

Private Message me about where you bought yours from and where you are.

It would seem like the dealer or distributor got it wrong.

Who would supply a new light for the unlucky ones who blew their nice new TN31 up?

The dealer, distributor or Thrunite.

Cheers

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Do not use CR123s in the Thrunite TN31 at times found in box - email from Thrunit

Lucky I only ran it a couple of times!!
Indeed. In my experience, significant over-voltage beyond circuit specs can either fry a light immediately, or after a period of runtime (but typically within a few minutes). If the light didn't blow on you yet, you are probably fine - as long as you discontinue the primary cells.

Good to have the confirmation directly from Thrunite. In cases of supported batteries, it is always the manufacturer who has the last word.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Indeed. In my experience, significant over-voltage beyond circuit specs can either fry a light immediately, or after a period of runtime (but typically within a few minutes). If the light didn't blow on you yet, you are probably fine - as long as you discontinue the primary cells.

Good to have the confirmation directly from Thrunite. In cases of supported batteries, it is always the manufacturer who has the last word.

I never used the CR123s, I just measured the battery carrier out of the light and got what I expected, 18.7V.

I have been an Electrician for 40 years and I knew it would be a problem straight away, hence my query to the dealer who said it was ok to use CR123s in the TN31.

Then I contacted Thrunite about this problem and they told me not to use CR123s in the TN31.

We have contacted the dealer about this problem and sent him a link to the threads covering this problem before any more CR123s get through the door.

Thrunite knows the dealer concerned and is going to contact him directly.

My TN31 is a little beauty at throwing and the magnetic ring level control is a very good User Interface.

It's like a small version of my Olight SR90 nearly, the Leds are getting better in the flashlight race.

My Dereelight DBS-T EZ900 Aspherical keeps up with the TN31 but only in a smaller spot of course.

Thanks Selfbuilt for all your hard work, it is appreciated.

aau007

Enlightened

Did the batteries come in separate packaging or were they included in the TN31 packaging? You know how some lights come in a box with foam and there are cut slots to put different items; light, battery, accessories, etc?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did the batteries come in separate packaging or were they included in the TN31 packaging? You know how some lights come in a box with foam and there are cut slots to put different items; light, battery, accessories, etc?

The batteries were in three seperate packs of two, each pack wrapped in bubble-wrap.

They were just rolling around in the case.

Cheers

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I notice that the Thrunite website dealer in question has left out the free 6 x CR123 batteries wording now on both the TN30 and TN31 lights.

This is what used to be there about the TN31.

The Thrunite TN31 has been designed with a single XM-L U2 chip outputting a staggering 1147 ANSI lumens, and matched with a massive 80mm reflector to produce one of the furthest throwing LED lights in this size we have come across.It comes supplied in a hard gift box and is supplied with holster, lanyard and full set of instructions. It also comes with 6 free CR123A batteries.

To make this a rechargeable flashlight it can be matched with 3 18650 batteries and the Soshine SC-S1 Max charger which can be found at the bottom of the product page.

All fixed up now!!!

HOORAY!!!!!

Latest posts