The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II Review

Default Re: Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II Review

Quote Originally Posted by ZMZ67 View Post
    How is the PWM on the Sidewinder Compact II ? PWM normally doesn't bother me but I recently watched a video online of another Streamlight model and the PWM was very visible on the low setting.
    According to my test results in the main review there is no PWM. When I get a chance I'll fire it up and double check, but it would have been a bit of an oversight to not mention this. I've certainly tested other Streamlight models which have PWM, but assuming I got the info right, this model doesn't use it.
    Tactical Reviews by Subwoofer
    Latest Reviews - @TacticalReviews and Facebook
    CandlePower Forums "Trusted Product Tester / Reviewer"

Flashaholic*

Glad to hear there is no PWM. The Sidewinder Compact II is looking like a great BOB light, thanks for the in depth review! I do wish there was a better option than the IR LED, like UV for example but I'm going to get one anyway.

Really interested in this light anyone know if SL is going to upgrade anytime soon?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by nkrantz View Post
    Really interested in this light anyone know if SL is going to upgrade anytime soon?
    Iīm thinking about the same. Does anybody know?

Looks like the perfect light for me. With 2016 LED technology the high output on white light will easily be doubled with the same runtime as the "old" version.

Flashaholic

I sent them an e mail.

Hi

When are you going to update SIDEWINDER COMPACT 2 to CREE XP-L or something better?

Thank you
    Dear Customer,

Sorry, there are no plans in place to change the Sidewinder at this time.
    Regards,
    Eric

Flashaholic

Yeah I really like this light too but the output seems lacking by today's led standards... Too bad they aren't going to upgrade the light anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post
    According to my test results in the main review there is no PWM. When I get a chance I'll fire it up and double check, but it would have been a bit of an oversight to not mention this. I've certainly tested other Streamlight models which have PWM, but assuming I got the info right, this model doesn't use it.
    It seems Streamlight is getting away from PWM in some of their latest offerings.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

Has anyone seen the Foxfury HHC? Looks pretty nice and very much the same type of light like the Sidewinder. Just too bad the HHC dont have a dedicated low mode...

Flashaholic*

Over a year later I still don't have the Sidewinder compact (Really, I still do intend to get one!)but I did get a full size Sidewinder Rescue model. I believe you are right that it does not use PWM. There is an audible whine on at least one level if you hold the light to your ear. This noise is present on other current control multi-level lights I own and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of PWM.I really like the design and the fact that the switch allows you too choose what led you are using by way of the locking ring.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMZ67 View Post
    Over a year later I still don't have the Sidewinder compact (Really, I still do intend to get one!)but I did get a full size Sidewinder Rescue model. I believe you are right that it does not use PWM. There is an audible whine on at least one level if you hold the light to your ear. This noise is present on other current control multi-level lights I own and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of PWM.I really like the design and the fact that the switch allows you too choose what led you are using by way of the locking ring.
    Do you mean this one?:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Rescue-(2xAA)

An excellent light.

Flashaholic*

Yes that's the one,I wanted the green led and the light to start on low.Wish it had a red led instead of IR but otherwise I really like the light.

Flashaholic

Found this pic in one Japan store.

It doesn't look like in this one.

Flashaholic*

Mine looks more like the bottom picture though it is slightly different. Streamlight may use different LEDs with similar performance based on availability since they don't specify and call everything "C4". I know the Sidewinders are assembled in the U.S. using imported components but I don't know if they are also assembled outside the U.S. for the international market.Manufacture outside the U.S. could also explain the use of different LEDs. Potentially could be a mod too since many people want higher output than what Streamlight offers.

Unenlightened

Hey there - long time reader, first time poster

Great review!
    I just discovered the Sidewinder Compact II and I really want it - only thing is that you are not supposed to use rechargeables with it (or any streamlight) and I only use eneloop pros for my flashlights (mostly fenix).

Streamlight cs told me that they did not test it with eneloops and that rechargeables may harm the light, render it useless or even cause a fire.

Did you have any issues with your Sidewinder using eneloops and can you fully use the light and all its modes with them (not talking about output, just whether you can turn it on max without killing the light)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by streamwald View Post
    Hey there - long time reader, first time poster

Great review!
    I just discovered the Sidewinder Compact II and I really want it - only thing is that you are not supposed to use rechargeables with it (or any streamlight) and I only use eneloop pros for my flashlights (mostly fenix).

Streamlight cs told me that they did not test it with eneloops and that rechargeables may harm the light, render it useless or even cause a fire.

Did you have any issues with your Sidewinder using eneloops and can you fully use the light and all its modes with them (not talking about output, just whether you can turn it on max without killing the light)

Thanks
    Wow, that is a big BS statement from Streamlight if they said it. I've almost exclusively been running the two sidewinders and this compact model on Eneloops. Fully functional with no issues.

The only minor issue I had with the Compact II was when I popped an RCR123 in it. It did not really like the 4.2V, but still worked.

The major difference with NiMh cells is the lower internal resistance and correlating ability to deliver high current. None of the Sidewinders seem that greedy and the output doesn't run away due to the lower internal resistance. I avoid Alkaleaks whenever I can (only some Intrinsically Safe lights I have require them to be IS certified).

Flashaholic*

Wow, that is a big BS statement from Streamlight if they said it. I've almost exclusively been running the two sidewinders and this compact model on Eneloops. Fully functional with no issues.

The only minor issue I had with the Compact II was when I popped an RCR123 in it. It did not really like the 4.2V, but still worked.

The major difference with NiMh cells is the lower internal resistance and correlating ability to deliver high current. None of the Sidewinders seem that greedy and the output doesn't run away due to the lower internal resistance. I avoid Alkaleaks whenever I can (only some Intrinsically Safe lights I have require them to be IS certified).
    It sounds like a blanket statement from Streamlight so consumers can't come back on them. The "harm the light....cause a fire" is probably associated with li-ions and keeps any liability from Streamlight should the end user decide to use rechargables.
    Last edited by ZMZ67; 12-01-2016 at 08:22 PM.
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

Thanks for the review. I was on the fence as to the shape, but see that the odd shape lends to more options such as clipping to jacket to work with both hands. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12