Assorted Drop In Question...

BaldGuy45

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering if I really need to wrap my drop ins with foil or copper tape. I have several Malkoff's and a couple of Solarforce. Had a G3 with a M91 give me problems yesterday after a tailcap switch (Z59). it was flickering and doing all kinds of crazy stuff. I did all the normal tightening and cleaning with no luck. Removed the aluminum foil I had wrapped around it and it works fine now. Got me thiking if I even need to wrap any of them.
Opinions?

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Not only does the foil/coppper tape help with electrical contact but it also helps in transferring heat away from the drop-in. If your flashlight body does not get hot that means the heat produced by the LED is not being transferred away to the rest of the flashlight body. GL.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont wrap any of my drop-ins, but i can see the benefit.
it sounds like the m91, and the sleeve in the G3 body didnt have a solid connection. i notice my G2s demonstrate similar behavior with certain drop-ins that use a large spring to contact the sleeve in the G2 body.

in my experience, most of the time when one of my host and drop-in are acting funny, its the contact between the drop-in and body.
wrapping your drop-ins wouldnt hurt. just wrap it up so that it doesnt interfere with the contact points.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrapping the drop-in makes a major improvement in heat dissapation. OTOH, unless you use aluminum or copper foil w/o adhesive you can have electrical contact issues as the adhesive can act as electrical insulation and prevent a solid electrical connection.

Latest posts