Do you like fireworks?

hula

Newly Enlightened
Right now they've started again. Multiple bangs, flashes, whizzes, crackles etc and it isn't yet Nov.5th - bonfire night ( our equivalent of July 4th )
I don't mind ( except at 4am midweek when you gotta be up for work ) but I really like to see large shells go off at proper displays. I'd really like to see a 36"+ shell made by a master go off, but they're very rare.
Anyone witnessed such a monster?

Hula.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bonfire night? Gee we need that here in the States! How is the UK weather in early November? I keep making plans to go to Burningman in the desert and never get there...someday I will.

In the meantime, maybe something tiny in one of those metal screened backyard firepits???

Does anyone remember the FireFalls they used to have in Yosemite? They used to light fire to ton of trees/logs on top of the mountain overlooking the valley and then a bulldozer would push them all ablaze over the cliff. Beautiful but can you say "Environmentally Incorrect"

GregR

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love fireworks, love Bonfire night. I`ll sit in the front watching the explosions all night if I can!

<font color="800080">36"+ shell....Anyone witnessed such a monster?</font>

No idea how big the shell was, but I might`ve seen something close a couple years ago at a local manor park`s firework show. I didn`t actually attend, but the aerial displays can be seen from my front window. The show ended with a shell that streaked up into the air for what seemed like an eternity, only to explode into a vast cascade of red, white and blue that lasted for ages and must`ve been a mile accross. Lit up the whole sky and shook the whole house! I hope they do it again this year, only bigger!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hula

Newly Enlightened
The weather is very cold at the moment 10c by day and 0c at night. Perfect weather for bonfire night where jacket potatoes, hog roasts, hot dogs etc are cooked around the fire as the fireworks go off.
I too would like to get to Burningman - almost anything goes I believe?
Chris M - sounds like at least a 36" shell to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I believe this is the limit a firework shell can be detonated over land anything above must be over water. At least in this country, correct me if i'm wrong.

Hula.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like fireworks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fabc3c74.jpg

fabc3c79.jpg

fabc3c15.jpg

Peter

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a pyro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

hula

Newly Enlightened
LitFuse are you a fan or do you work with fireworks? Is that a 24" shell with launching tube to the right in the first picture? I bet that was some display when it went up with all those shells on rocket launchers.
Ever stood next to a large real cannon when fired? I did at a civil war re-enactment. I think I involuntarily moved six inches back with the shock wave. I can only begin to imagine the blast experienced when say a battleship like the New Jersey and its' ilk fired their 16" guns it must have been truly frightening.

Hula.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I used to help a fellow do shows in Northeast Ohio. Hudson Fireworks Company...something about science, explosions, danger, and all that was quite an experience! Loved every second of it. The shows were setup and timed manually by us, and fired by us - not computers...awesome (and I don't really use that word much...)!!

Nice pics LitFuse!!