Rebel Maglite LED/Driver Module

JamisonM

Enlightened
Has anyone had any success harnessing the LED or driver from this module and adapting it for use elsewhere? I've taken one apart, but you have to practically destroy them to do so. The LED is reflowed onto a regular piece of PCB. Driver is pressed up into the connectors that are also reflowed to the bottom of the PCB. The only thing I can think to do is reuse the driver an put the LED on proper star.
7306193954_27fcbbd27f_b.jpg

7306193838_4be6ce4780_b.jpg

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that the driver and LED from an ML100?

About all I've done so far has been to swap the XP-E can into my Rebel driver, since they drive the Rebels a bit harder than the XP-E version, and got a bit more output from it. I've thought about reusing the driver, but, only the driver from the 3D interests me since the 2D driver is really inefficient.

JamisonM

Enlightened
PCC, nope, this module came out of a 3D maglite. The LEDs, I know, are good even if they from an unknown bin. Can the driver be modified to underdrive the LED? Maybe make a low power light for storms?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
PCC, nope, this module came out of a 3D maglite. The LEDs, I know, are good even if they from an unknown bin. Can the driver be modified to underdrive the LED? Maybe make a low power light for storms?
There is probably a sense resistor on board somewhere that can be changed to adjust the drive current.

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
It looks like your basic run-of-the-mill switching LED driver, but I can't figure out the value of the set resistor. "012" doesn't make any sense and there doesn't appear to be a line under it.

I googled "TL4" and got this hit. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl4242.pdf

It looks like the same driver.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

JamisonM

Enlightened
I wonder how well would these run from a 6v lantern battery. Would that be too much voltage for it? What about taking a 500 ohm pot.