PentagonLight MX-2 IR illuminator batteries?

bstrickler

Enlightened
I recently purchased a PentagonLight MX-2 with IR module, and was wondering what batteries the IR module takes. I can't seem to find any documentation or forum posts giving any information about that. I know the light uses a P60 module, and uses CR123's, but the IR module's battery requirements eludes me. It looks like it uses 4x LR44 or 2x CR1/3N batteries, but I don't have any on hand to try out.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Have you tried viewing the light using a phone camera or similar?

Norm

bstrickler

Enlightened
Have you tried viewing the light using a phone camera or similar?

Norm

Yes, hence the suspicion that it's in the 900+nm wavelength. Tried with multiple cameras. If I had the program to use the camera for the Wii remotes, I'd see if that could see the IR.

I'll try getting a hold of a friend with some NVG's, and see if they can let me borrow them for 30 seconds.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Since pictures of the 544 batteries that I've seen show a button top, is it possible that you're not getting positive contact at the top of the stack?

Not an issue. No button top needed. Positive node is a short spring, sticking out about 2-3mm above the board. Tried wrapping 4 cells in electrical tape, and manually apply the voltage, but still got nothing, so only 2 things it can be: Blown IR diode, or a 940nm diode. I'm placing my bets on it being 940, since it's supposed to be military grade.

I'll take pics of the piece when I get home later.