Amusing CSI flashlight continuity error!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
This could be another entry in the "you know you`re a flashaholic if..." topic.

So I`m watching CSI tonight. Not paying too much attention cos I`m also working on web pages but it`s on in the background. I look over to see Grissom and one other guy going into a mine with open bat-gates at the entrance. They have Surefire M4s (which of course click when they turn them on) to giude their way. They venture further into the mine facing towards the camera, the M4s shining narrow beams through the air in true Hollywood/TV style. Next thing I know, the shot changes to a view behind them walking away, and those M4s have miraculously transformed into two big MaxaBeams, set on medium-wide focus so the beams project a blueish white circle with that big donut-hole in the middle. The shot changes back to the front of them, and...M4s again! It cuts once more to them carrying Maxabeams, and back to normal, but that`s the last I saw of them after that.

Only a flashoholic would have spotted that! You would have thought the eagle-eye of a continuity operative would`ve spied slim little torches suddently turning into big square ones too though. Anyone else here in the UK watching CSI right now who saw it?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
The Maxabeam is carried most often by gripping the handle and carrying it somewhat like a suit-case. I believe most CPFers carry smaller lights with a more tactical style grip, holding it either with your thumb on the tailcap-switch and holding the body between your index and middle finger, or, depending on the light, similar to a pencil.

How were the M4s being carried, or do you remember?

I can see somebody not noticing it if they gripped the M4s around their body and carried them Mock-Maxabeam style, but it'd be pretty tough to miss them switching between a tactical grip and a suitcase grip!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I *think* they were being carried overhand, held up in the air a bit. Certainly not underhand in the traditional style of old 60s cop shows, but not tactical style either, cos the M4 is too long for that to be accomplished easilly.

The difference between the M4s and the big boxy Maxabeams was dramatic, both the body sizes and the shape/color of the beams! I`ve seen that one before too, wonder why I didn`t notice it then?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif