Strange ZebraLight SC600W failure

flashflood

Enlightened
Here's a puzzle for you. My trusty ZL SC600W fell off the nightstand last night. It was only an 18 inch fall, onto a wood floor. Now the light turns on as usual, but then turns right back off -- almost like it thinks the battery is low. I tried putting in a freshly charged 18650, but it made no difference. The light will stay on as long as I hold the button down -- cycling through modes, as usual -- but when I let go, it turns off in about half a second.

Any ideas what might be causing this, or how to fix it? Anyone else seen this failure mode after a minor drop?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Jetbeam that acted strange after a minor fall. I smacked it against a table a couple times and it straightened out.
I figured I had nothing to lose after reading the warranty. Not covered if " you drop it " It fell from my pickup seat to the driveway. Well withing the 1 meter shock resistant rating. I would guess the shock of falling has loosened up a ground circuit. :confused:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some guy (can't remember who) made drop tests by throwing his Zebra in gravel and on a wooden fence repeatedly. I'm not saying they will all be 100% shock proof, but I'd start with basic things like clean the contacts, check if the spring isn't compressed and make sure the cap screws on properly.

Swede74

Enlightened
I would also try what Cataract suggested, plus I would leave it for a couple of hours without a battery inside, tailcap off. I don't know why, it just feels like something that may be worth trying ;) If nothing helps I definitely think you should talk to Zebralight or your dealer, it's a rather expensive light and it should survive an 18 inch fall. If it didn't, it would be in Zebralight's best interest to replace it for you if they care about their reputation.

It's a light that is easy to fall in love with, so I really hope you get yours to work properly again. Good luck!

melty

Newly Enlightened
Some guy (can't remember who) made drop tests by throwing his Zebra in gravel and on a wooden fence repeatedly. I'm not saying they will all be 100% shock proof, but I'd start with basic things like clean the contacts, check if the spring isn't compressed and make sure the cap screws on properly.

The drop test I saw was with the SC30. The bigger they are the harder they fall?

You should probably contact Zebralight if the other suggestions don't pan out, they might have some insight as to why the strange behavior.

This somewhat diminishes my eagerness to toss around my SC600w when it arrives tomorrow :p

flashflood

Enlightened
Thanks gang. I tried a number of things, then tried to take it apart.

I. Hate. Thread-lock.

So many products are designed to prevent service these days. Oh, I'm sure thread-lock helps with the IPX-8 rating, or prevents it from coming loose when stored on a subwoofer, or some other feature I don't care about. I just wish all manufacturers would stop using thread-lock and let customers apply it if desired. It's trivial to add if you want it, and often impossible to remove if you don't.

Grrr.

Dillo0

Newly Enlightened
This is what happened to my SC600 which was bought a few months ago. I had to send it in for repair. I haven't received it back yet though. Apparently some of them don't take falls particularly well.